Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Vexing Box and a Million ?????s

If you've never rented a cottage at the beach in North Carolina, you may not know that it is not like staying in a hotel. You get the cottage, furniture, dishes and appliances, but you do not get any towels, linens or paper products. Even toilet paper. I guess most cottage renters are driving there and can fill up their cars with stuff, but we are flying there and can not. Fortunately, my Mom lives down there so I am going to mail a box of stuff. Part of the deal for this vacation is that we would have most meals "at home" meaning I will be cooking. Yet there is no food or spices or seasoning there. Buying all that stuff would cost as much as eating out, so I have been working on my box for some time. I have some great ideas to make things easy, such as pre-seasoning Bisquick in a large baggie for my "oven fried" drumsticks and a baggie of the shrimp boil seasoning that we love. Then there are extra Ziploc baggies, aluminum foil, towels, beach towels, hand towels, kitchen towels, dish cloths, etc. The thing is, I need to send this box this week. But I know, I just know, that as soon as I seal this box, I will think of something really important to put in it. This box is making me crazy.
~
My brain goes like this these days: What other seasonings do I put in the box? What am I going to wear on the plane to Vancouver? How should I price the bedroom set at my parents' house? Oh, wait I can't put the binoculars in the box, because I want to take them to Vancouver! Is $400 too much or too little for Mom's old computer? Will there be hand soap at the beach cottage? Are three pairs of shoes enough for my Vancouver trip? Should I go ahead and put my shampoo in the box? Are there special utensils I should put in the box? Scissors? How does Josie's trash/recycling work and what will we do with all my beer bottles/cans? Will the kid next door (that will be feeding my cats) throw a party in my house while we are at the beach? Why hasn't the realtor e-mailed me with some figures? How should I display the jewelry at the estate sale? Will Josie like my favorite movie? I need to buy some army men to play with on the beach with my nephew.
~
My brain is very full. I'm even working on a grocery list for my beach trip. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I keep insisiting that the more I do NOW, the less I have to do THEN. I guess my greatest concern right now is being able to NOT think about The House or the beach trip while I am in Vancouver. That, and leaving something important out of the box.

12 comments:

Jazz said...

Relax!!!!

I'm sure there won't be that much missing from the box.

I'm sure Josie knows how to take care of your beer cans.

Switch of the brain and breathe for five minutes...

Scarlet said...

Whenever I travel I make a list of the must-haves. I go through that list A MILLION times...the "to do" section, the "must buy" section, etc. It's nutty, but what's worse is being totally unprepared. I'm w/ you there.

By taking care of things NOW, you will be more relaxed THEN. Just don't get too stressed about it, so it doesn't takes you two weeks to unwind. That wouldn't be good.

Remember, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! You're going to meet a blogging buddy and that is so exciting!!

Carole said...

Part of being anxious means racing thoughts. I know because I'm that way a lot! You should have seen me last year getting ready for my son's wedding that was all the way in Maryland. I made so many lists! But...remember, if you don't have enough shoes in Vancouver, you can go buy a new pair. If you leave something out of the box, it may not be exactly what you planned, but you can go buy spices or stuff close enough to get things the way you want them. And just do the estate sale one step at a time and in the end it will be what it will be. I'm sure you'll do a great job for your mom! And the neighbor kid's parents are both strict enough that I'm sure everything will be okay there. If I didn't have a mean dog, I would have no qualms about letting either of those boys watch my house.

And most of all remember, it's great to plan ahead, but let the surprises come! Surprises are often the best part of new experiences!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Good advice! Now that the first trip is only days away, I feel more relaxed. Maybe just blogging about it helped?

Scarlet,
~~Yay! Someone who understands about the lists and preparations. My whole point about being stressed NOW is to be relaxed THEN. Yes! You get it.

Carole,
~~Yes, instead of thinking of things as a "glitch," I'll think of them as "surprises." It's a much more positive word!

Russell said...

I am sure everything will work out just great.

Regarding your trip to see Josie, I have a strong feeling she will make life very easy for you and the two of you will have a fabulous time. So that is the end of that!

Concerning the vacation to the beach house, you have people already on the ground there to help. If you forget something or want something, you can just go get it. (I am assuming part of this but I think I am right...)

Again, regarding NC, the old saying "Pack half the stuff and take twice the money" comes to mind!! Hopefully other people will kick in to help, too.

The house situation - it will be there when you get back!

Good luck and do what I do ... take a nap!!

Jammie J. said...

I think I'd be in the same boat as you are if I had to pack The Vexing Box. I think I'd reach a point and just say to hell with it, though, I'll buy what I forget. Or not. It's easy to say when it's not me.

Hehe, if your husband thinks your crazy, then he's crazier, because he married you and KNEW you were crazy. At least that's what I always say to my husband. :P

Jo said...

Well, the good news is, we have lots of recycling bins here AND we have a recycling depot where we can take beer and pop cans. Also, I am a great list maker, so I have lots of paper for you to make lists.

AND I have stocked up on Pears soap for you to take back with you, so you can take some with you to the beach house as well.

Oven fried drumsticks? Omigosh, that sounds yummy!!!! Hmmmmmm....

geewits said...

Russell,
~~You have a calming effect. Or maybe you are just the voice of reason.

Jeanette,
~~I'm glad you finally got to see your special pictures! And yes, by your logic, I guess he IS the crazy one.

Josie,
~~Yay for the Pears soap! I had already put one in THE BOX. I can make the chicken for you if they have Bisquick there. It tastes just like delicious fried chicken, but instead of being immersed in oil, you only use one tablespoon of butter.

Cycling Goddess said...

I love lists, I love travelling and I'm like you, I get frazzled knowing I've forgotten something! But now I know that I can always get the stuff there. And it's an excuse to go shopping anyway. I love shopping in other cities/countries. You'll be fine, you're in good hands in Vancouver.

Leslie: said...

For Vancouver you'll need a pair of walking shoes and maybe a nicer pair (or sandally ones) if you and J go out to a nice place for dinner. Tees and jeans are perfect along with sunglasses and a light sweater for evening. J has LOTS of great soaps & stuff and we even have BISQUICK. Whoda thunk, eh?

I'm so excited to meet you on Wednesday! And for our boating and driving cruise! I sure hope it's a nice day - always makes things more fun.

Everything will work out in the end and if I were you (which I'm not), I'd suggest hubby does 1/2 the cooking - that is, if it's supposed to be a holiday for you both. AND he can sweep the cabin, too. You can always say you caught a bad back in Vancouver (ha ha) from both J and me!!!

geewits said...

HD,
~~Yes, I'll be in good hands and my relaxing mantra is "as long as I have my medicines, my money and my Visa card, I will be fine." I just need to use the mantra!

Leslie,
~~You always say the goofiest things! Why would I as my husband to cook? Would you want to eat something that someone that does not know how to cook made? That would be like asking my daughter to perform surgery on me! Something that makes no sense. "light sweater" cracked me up, too? I don't even wear a jacket here in winter unless it is close to freezing. I am so very hot-natured it's not even funny. It's not going to be close to freezing is it?

Are we supposed to sweep the cottage? I suppose we will track a lot of beach sand, and yes, he does know how to do that.

Leslie: said...

Have him open a can of beans, cut up some weiners, and warm it up on the stove! lol Add some rolls and voila ... dinner a la holiday!