Monday, May 19, 2008

New Stuff, New Responsibilites

Man we worked our tushies off this weekend. We went over to Mom's to get the new bed and hang out with them on their last day here. We ended up working almost non-stop for 4 hours. Mom kept asking me, "Would someone buy this?" I don't think the woman has been to a yard sale in her life. She was asking me that about picture frames and candles and all sorts of other stuff. I even fished out an inexpensive clear oval frame that she'd thrown in the trash. I said, "Mom, someone will buy that for a dime." While I was there I decided to look for something to replace our old cheap particle board TV stand that's here in the computer room. I bought this thing in 1995. It's the sort of thing that comes in a big flat box and you put it together. I remember it took My Sweetie and me what seemed like forever to put it together. We had just moved in together (I first just typed "into gether" and it made me laugh, I don't know why) and were in a hurry to fill up our great big rent house, so we weren't being too picky. Actually it wasn't that bad for 1995. As you can see, the bottom drawers went all askew over time. (I took this after I cleaned all the stuff out.)
I found this dresser type thing in one of Mom's guest rooms and I knew it was perfect. It's smaller than that other thing but actually has more storage, AND the TV is 13 inches higher which is great because it is in front of my treadmill and I never could see the bottom of the screen without leaning over the "dashboard" or whatever it's called. (That's part of the treadmill in the first picture.)
We took the three doors off the old stand and added it to the other random things in the cat room. They seem to like it. Maxie, the inherited cat, sleeps in that little round thing (the opening is around back to give him a sense of privacy.) As you can see, Lilly likes it.
Well, we did all of this on Saturday. Today, we took apart our old bed and assembled the new bed. I LOVE it. It is very tall. We used two box springs along with the new mattress, so the sleeping surface is 34 inches above the floor. That's a king-sized bedspread on a queen bed!

And below is the mirror that matches the bed. As I mentioned before, my parents just decided to sell the house. They were originally coming here to meet with their accountant to do my stepdad's business taxes for the last time, and then when things went a little off about the arrangement with my daughter living there, they decided to sell. I don't know why they didn't take their time here, but Stepdad just had to get back. And they are retired. So, Saturday was very hectic as they were leaving Sunday morning. Every 15 minutes one of them would call me from another room and say things like, "This is where all of the appliance manuals are." or "Here are extra copies of all the house keys." I thought a lot of it was funny because I am going to be the one doing the estate sale and emptying the house. I mean, I will find everything. I'm even going to be doing all the dealing with the realtor. I have a lot of it organized in my head, but my daughter is moving out the day I go to Vancouver (the 1st of June) and I will be there until the 6th and then I will be in North Carolina from the 14th until the 21st. Because the house has a pool, we want to get it on the market as soon as possible, but realistically I think it will be the second week of July. I hope to have the estate sale on the 28th and 29th of June. That gives me one week between vacations and one week after my second vacation. I will be very busy for a while it seems. I think in July I'll probably need another vacation.

14 comments:

Russell said...

You sure had a busy weekend! I laughed, too, at your typing "into gether." Sometimes interesting things seem to come out as we are typing along...!

Your new bed is exactly like the ones we used to have at our Canadian cabin years and years ago. We called them iron beds, though they were not made out of actualy iron. When that cabin was sold in 1984 we left 3 of them in the little cabin. The irony (catch the pun??!) is that the people who bought it then stil own it.

Sounds like your summer will be filled with the estate sale and selling that house. I hope you are getting a commission or something!! That is a lot of work!

Years ago we had a garage sale and I was amazed at what people would buy. It was rather crazy. Stuff we had just never gotten around to throwing away was bought up! I was always amazed that people would almost get into a fist fight over some 15 cent item! Made me want to run into the basement and bring out more junk -- I mean, treasures...!!

Oh, and if you had something priced for a dime (wow, expensive!) people would often try to buy it for a nickel! Go figure...!

Scarlet said...

I love the bed and mirror. A nice bedroom set is the only thing I don't have. It makes my room look messy and after seeing your beautiful decor, it makes me want to save up for it again. I gave up when I realized we could either have a nice vacation w/ the kids or a bedroom set, but not both. Vacation wins every time. This year, since I don't get vacation time w/ the new job and all, I'm looking for a bedroom set!! :)

Ian Lidster said...

Paricleboard, don't you detest it. We have a computer stand that we want to get rid of, made of the same crap. So, I'm guessing you don't want to take it off our hands. Love the bedstead.

geewits said...

Russell,
~~Oh, I am definitely getting a commission along with keeping anything there that I want. I hate those people that will try to bargain when it's ridiculous. When I do a big sale I price everything to sale, but you still get those. And since I am trying to empty the house I will be somewhat open,but not much. I'd rather donate something to charity than give it away to some cheap bastard. Two sales back I had a nice dining room table with two leafs (leaves?)and 6 chairs and I priced it at $50. A STEAL, yet some arab lady kept pulling up in her van and sending her 13-year-old daughter to try to haggle with me. After her 3rd or 4th attempt I told my husband, that even if it doesn't sell, she was not going to get it for one thin dime under $50. At the very end of the day she finally agreed to the price and I was so furious I didn't want to be there when they came to pick it up so I went to a bar!


Scarlet,
~~I have matching furniture in there, some Mexican raw rough pine stuff that I got at Pier One years ago, I just never got a bed. We just had the mattresses on a frame. It does look a little less finished, but I had never seen a bed I liked and didn't want to match the furniture exactly because that's too matchy. I hate when all the pieces are the same. I also have a different green thing in there that I finished myself. But I think this piece goes well. It is very high though. I may heve to get a step stool!

I'm sorry you won't get the family vacation, but you did have a great one at Christmas! And heck, you live in Florida.

Ian,
~~I am not at all a fan of particle board, but it's fine for the cats' room. But they don't have a computer.

Jo said...

Wow! Very nice stuff. Don't you just love getting new stuff? Even if it's someone else's old stuff. It's new to me. I have been looking for a cedar chest to put at the foot of my bed because for some reason I love buying pillows, so I have eight pillows (don't ask me why...) and nowhere to store them.

And into gether makes perfect sense to me. I rather like it!

Scarlet said...

Hey, wait a min., I live in Florida...that's why I need a vacation! LOL Either that or a really nice bed. ;)

I'll have to remember to check Pier One again. I haven't been there in ages!

Jo said...

I bought a new lamp yesterday, and it looks exactly like the ones in your photographs.

Great minds think alike! :-)

Leslie: said...

You really lucked out getting that TV stand, the bed, and the mirror. I love that iron look. I bought my bedroom furniture in 1994 and now I'd like to get new stuff. It's solid oak and is really quite beautiful, but I just would like something that doesn't look so heavy.

Can hardly wait to see you. Two weeks to go! :D

Big Brother said...

I like the way you recycled the old TV stand... I'm sure the cats just love their new home. ;o)

Jazz said...

Damn girl, I'm thinking by the time July rolls around, you'll be due to head to Montreal!

geewits said...

Josie,
~~I've always liked stuff my Mom gives me better than stuff I bought myself. I once went about two summers just wearing her old clothes. And mmmmm, I love the smell of cedar.

Scarlet,
~~I think Pier One has changed. I haven't been in ages either. I bought the cool furniture in 1999. And the Florida thing? Growing up in North Carolina, Florida was THE vacation destination! As a child, I thought the TV show "The Honeymooners" was about Floridians because everyone always went to Florida for their honeymoon!

Josie,
~~Oh did you notice the bedroom lamps were the same as the one in the computer room? I'm so stupid, I thought the one didn't work and ordered a third one, but I just had the wrong bulb in it!

Leslie,
~~And there is more stuff waiting for me. Just little things except the thing for my garage. I'm going over there Thursday to work on the garage and get some of the little things I want. See you in two weeks!

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~They love that sort of thing, especially Lilly, who likes to look down on everyone. They are not allowed up on things in the rest of the house, so she really likes her shelving units.

Jazz,
~~And I bet it would be a nice break in the temperature!

Tai said...

Love the BED!!!

geewits said...

Tai,
~~Get in yours and get well soon!