Friday, May 02, 2008

Just Doing My Part


I've decided to be patriotic and go out and blow some of my big government bribe economic incentive money by going to the horse races at Lone Star Park on Saturday. Saturday is also the day of the Kentucky Derby, or as all writers and various and sundry other sportsy people like to call it: the greatest 2 minutes in sports! We watch it on TV every year and my pick came in second last year and my pick won the two years before that and I always say, "Damn! I wish I had bet money on that!" (In case you are unfamiliar with horse racing, the Derby will be simulcast at Lone Star Park and you can bet on it there.) So this year I will put my money where my mouth is, and I mean that literally because I think the beer there is about $5. (The good thing about that is there is never a long line.) Also they are predicting Saturday to be sunny and about 72 degrees. But this is Texas, and it may be 90. I hope they got this one right though, because I want to do the outdoor seating. We haven't been in a few years, but when we used to go more often, we always splurged and got counter or box seats upstairs. And if the weather was great, I'd be a bit jealous of all the people milling around outside down there on the ground, not to mention the sound of the pounding hooves and getting to see the horses up close.

~

As most gamblers are, I'm very superstitious and my lucky number is 8. This year the first filly in a decade to make it to the Kentucky Derby is named Eight Belles. I see this as a sign and she is currently at 15:1 so the payoff would be great! I will also bet on horse #8: Visonaire to Win, Place or Show (and the jockey for this horse is wearing green which is my lucky color), so if you happen to watch the Derby on Saturday and have no personal vested interest, pull for horse #5. If I have already won money on the live races by then, I think I'll also bet on #9 Pyro or maybe do a trifecta with those three horses. Anyway, I hope the weather is great. I know we'll have lots of fun and I will take a bunch of pictures. And I will feel so good about stimulating the economy.

10 comments:

Jazz said...

Years and years ago, I used to never ever miss the Triple Crown on TV. For some reason I stopped following it... Maybe I should get back into it.

Jo said...

My cousin bets every year on the Kentucky Derby, and every year she wins. I'll have to see which horse she has her money on this year.

Oh, and by the way, puleeze bring some of that Texas weather with you when you come to Vancouver.

*sigh*

It's chilly here!!!

ticknart said...

You know what would make the race really exciting?

If they released a bear onto the track after the race started. Now that's a thrilling sporting event.

Russell said...

Good luck tomorrow! I went to the website for the Kentucky Derby and looked over the horses.

Every year what I do is wait until the horses walk out onto the track - that little parade thing they do. I look really closely at each horse and pick my winner by watching them walk onto the track. I am sometimes a bit influenced by the colors of the jockey's shirt, but mainly I look at the horse.

I never know what the odds are, etc. - just look at the horse and check out the name. In the past, from the comfort of my living room and not at the track (big difference!) I have done fairly well. One year I picked the winner and I often get one of the top three horses. Not always, but, well, sometimes. That is my method.

I suppose I would do just as well if I put the names in a hat and drew one out. But what the heck. It wouldn't be much fun that way...

I'll be watching your #8 horse tomorrow and Eight Belles... Personally, I sort of go for brown horses... I am sure the local race track in Des Moines would LOVE to see me stop by and throw away, I mean, bet some of my money!!!

the walking man said...

A balmy sunny day, the bell goes off and the horses leap from the gate. On the far side of the track you see them but at the rail their thunder is distant. Looking you see if your horse has his stride halfway to the finish. Your excitement rises as they come down the stretch, you feel the vibration of them as they pass you standing right up front of the spectators rail. People are yelling for this or that horse, the money is heating up ready to go to a hot hand, pounding now, the rumble of them is still in your feet and ears as you don't hear yourself screaming energy at your pick! The horses approach the finish...{hope your ending is a good one gwits}

Always preferred to be at ground level where I could smell them and feel the race rumble by me. OK I am sorta cheap in my dotage.

Peace

mark

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~I just follow the Kentucky Derby and sometimes go to the local track. It's always fun and exciting once that horn sounds.

Josie,
~~Well I'm coming in June. I don't think we want June Texas weather. Your cousin really picks the winner every year? She should be on Leno.

Ticknart,
~~No. I wouldn't go if they had bears.

Russell,
~~You don't read about the horses in the sports pages? I like doing a little research along with my names and numbers. I usually win some money every time I go, but I bet small, so I win small, but I once won $96 on a $4 bet. That was cool. It was 19 years ago, but it's still cool!

Mark,
~~Yes!! All of that and the bugle, too!

Scarlet said...

I have never gone to the track! It's something we keep talking about and haven't done. Let us know how it goes!

Big Brother said...

I know just about nothing about horses, except that you put hay in one end and it comes out manure at he other end. ;o) Good luck with your races, 15:1 sounds like pretty long odds.

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm spending my money on a new grill. Three year project.

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~You should go, it's a lot of fun.

Big Brother,
~~It's too sad what happened.

JR,
~~That's a lot of money for a grill! What sort of grill do you need?!?