Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Good The Bad The Ugly and the Yummy

One of the poorer clients that I have have this sign hanging next to their door. It's an older lady and a lady about my age. I do not know if they are related. Their house is in terrible shape and the younger lady said something to me that I will never forget. I guess it was the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. I think I apologized for being late or being short on rolls or whatever, and she said, "It's okay. Bless you. If it weren't for you we would have had nothing to eat on Thanksgiving." That really touched me and made me sad. The fact that this sign hangs by their front door really says something about the tenacity of the human spirit. Also there are a few flower pots around the front door that have been well tended. I like that.

This mailbox is next door to some new people that I have. This is one of those "of two minds" things. One brain says, "Gross how tacky and dorky!" The other brain says, "Well isn't that sweet?!" (If I had a third brain it would say, "Clean your windshield.")

I saw this horse right by this busy intersection and it seemed really weird. There was a brown one over to the right. Why are these horses in the middle of stuff?

This guy in the construction tractor truck thing? Oh. My. God. He sat there waiting to turn left for two and a half years. I needed to turn left. He was in my way. I was starting to go insane. All I can figure is in his mind he needed no cars to be over there for 700 miles. I was yelling "GO!!" "TURN!!" Like even if he were super slow and a car came up, they're not going to run into him, it's a giant construction vehicle!!



This was sitting out by Myriam's house. I just had to take a picture of that because I knew someone (you know who you are) would get a kick out of it and no, and you know who you are, it's not who you think.Speaking of toilets, this sign made me laugh. This is the restroom of my dive place that I have two beers at every Wednesday. I love the "over Flow."



While I was eating lunch I was watching the Champions League showdown between Manchester United and Chelsea. And I fell madly in love, crazy head-over-heels for Owen Hargreaves of Manchester United. What a cutie!! And he's a CANADIAN! He's 27 and from Calgary. He's so cute!

15 comments:

Big Brother said...

I like the ladies' slogan, Live well, Love much, Laugh often. I'll have to remember that one. As for the patriotic mailbox... strange but whatever floats their boat I suppose..

Jazz said...

Oh I love this post. And I love Hargreaves. Yummy...

Now that Figo has retired I need a new soccer crush.

Scarlet said...

I loved going around town w/ you today. We actually have a few horses and cows we see on the way to the kids' schools...right by the side of the road. It doesn't seem right, but there they are. When the cows are down, I always tell the kids, "it looks like rain" and they love that.

The story about the ladies and their sign made me a little sad, but also thankful to know there are good people like you out there that add a little "spice" (is that a pun?) to their lives.

Cute soccer pic! Very cute!

Ian Lidster said...

Amazing that the sign ladies can be so philosophical and still keep their priorities where they should be. I have to admire that.

ticknart said...

I don't think I'll ever get over those crazy sideways traffic lights in the horse picture.

What color is on the left?

kimber said...

I loved this post -- it just made me laugh. The world is such an odd, ecclectic place, and your pictures prove it.

Ah, Owen Hargreaves. There was an article in the London Times a few years back which claimed that Canadian men are the sexiest in the world. It caused a huge hullabaloo: women writing to agree or disagree, men writing who felt slighted, it was all very amusing.

Carole said...

What a fun post! Yes, thanks for taking us with you through your day yesterday.

As for that mailbox, I especially like the way they have a manicured boxwood hedge fitting into that semi-circle planting box. I'd have a giant bunny on top! Ha!

I always love the surprise horses here and there in our area!

Jo said...

Horses? phsaw! pfft! We had a bear walking through our streets the other day. He wandered over looking for food.

I love the sign the two ladies have on their door. Gosh, if only everyone thought that way, hey? I should make one up and give it to the Black Widow Spider.

And of COURSE Owen Hargreaves is Canadian. Just wait until you come to Canada... :-)

Cycling Goddess said...

I loved this post too, it was nice to have a visit along town with you. The story about the two women was so touching. I loved the toilet! way too funny :)

Owen Hargreaves... *swoon* and he plays well too!

Leslie: said...

The toilet? Perfect!

Loved your previous post, too, especially about the telephone marketers. I have "call display" so don't answer if it's a 1-800 # or "caller unidentified" but if I do get caught by carpet cleaners, I love telling them I don't have carpets. They hang up quickly.

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~I have to give them credit for following the flag rules. Most Texans display them equally.

Jazz,
~~After I saw him, I wasn't watching the game so much as watching to catch another look!

Scarlet,
~~I used to give all my extras to my friend Myriam, but now I give them to these people.

Ian,
~~Yes, I like that.

Ticknart,
Left is green and right is red. I forgot what the middle one is. ;)

Kimber,
~~I hope to see some sexy men there in 10 days! Just for looking at of course.

Carole,
~~That's right on the corner there by Tom Thumb - that's the building with the Thai restaurant. Martin, maybe?

Josie,
~~I am afraid of nearly all animals, but between a bear and a horse, I'd go with the horse.

Sylvie,
~~Come for a visit and you can ride along with me for MOW some Wednesday!

Leslie,
~~I had forgotten about that. My last house was all hardwood and I loved telling the carpet people, too. Sometimes The Dallas Morning News calls and I say, "I hated that paper even when I lived in Dallas!"

XUP said...

I'm in awe of the mailbox. I don't think I'd like to be friends with these people. They seem scary.

Carole said...

Geewits, that's two things you don't want to forget to take on your vacation.
1.Passport
2.BEAR REPELLENT

geewits said...

Xup,
~~I like to imagine it's a retired couple and he was a WWII vet.

Carole,
~~LOL! Now where do I keep my bear repellent?

Jammie J. said...

I love your imaginary third brain, totally cracked me up.

GAH! I nearly got road rage just reading about that guy who was in your way!

Thank YOU for the toilet picture. Awesome. And the over Flow sign, that's funny, too. :)

I just realized I stole your post title for my most recent post but didn't know it until now. Oops! :)