Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Great Mother's Day Weekend

I had a very nice weekend. Sunday morning after I woke up, I was lying in bed and thought, "I want Kate to take me to Grapevine Mills." That's the same mall that I visited last December that had the creepy robot Santa thing. We had not made any plans at all except that she was going to stop by during the afternoon, so I didn't even know if she was available for that, but I called and she was game. As we were getting out of the truck, her shirt was up a little and I noticed she had a tramp stamp. I was so relieved to find out it was just a henna tattoo that she had gotten at Scarborough Faire and not a real tattoo! My excuse to go to the mall was to look for some plain white denim shorts. I haven't been able to find any this year. I know! It seems like a simple request. Although we did run into several stores at the end of our visit to the mall, we pretty much spent the bulk of the afternoon in the Rainforest Cafe drinking and chatting.
That's me posing with the lizard. When I handed my daughter the camera, she was all, "People will think we're tourists!" So? I don't care what hundreds of random strangers think. I'm a blogger and I like to take pictures!

The Rainforest Cafe has barstools that are all animal feet and I ended up on the duck, so I wanted a picture of myself with duck feet. Or maybe it's an ostrich. Who knows? Anyway we had a really nice and relaxing time just gabbing about all sorts of stuff. I also talked to my brother this weekend. I haven't said a lot about him here, but we've been somewhat estranged for a long time. We spoke on Saturday for a long time and for a short time on Sunday. It was the best conversation we've had in years and it felt like the good old days. He is planning to bring my nephews to visit us while we are at the beach in North Carolina in June and I am actually looking forward to it. I spoke to my 12-year-old nephew and told him that we can build an army man fort on the beach. That should be fun. I had sent him books for Christmas and one was a biography of the Wright brothers. He had obviously read it and enjoyed it because he was telling me all about the Wright brothers. I thought that was great. He told me he loved to read. And THAT really is great. The older nephew is working and going to college. He is 19 and wants to be an architect. I think he will be a great one. He's also a hottie. I imagine he will be very successful in life. I'm looking forward to having so much family around in June. My parents will be there, my daughter, my brother's family, Lo and hopefully a few more old friends. I've enjoyed thinking about my Vancouver trip and my beach trip and I have lots of fun to look forward to. It really was a nice weekend.

15 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds lke a Wonderful Weekend! And how wonderful that you had such a meaningful talk with your brother...I hope the coming time when you will see one another is really PERFECT!

Scarlet said...

The duck feet look so festive on you. :) I love last-min. plans like that where you quickly arrange a fun afternoon out. It looks like you had a great Mother's Day...and the fun is only just beginning. June sounds even better.

Tai said...

You sure know how to pack a whallop into a weekend!

ticknart said...

If you had had white shorts, that photo of you on the duck feet would have been perfect!

Jazz said...

What Ticknart said...

And it's great that you and your brother are patching things up...

Carole said...

A tramp stamp? hahaha I have never heard that before, but you can be sure that I'll use it now! I'm glad you had such a wonderful Mother's Day. I had a fun one too! I'm also glad you had such a nice visit with your brother. Sounds like a great start to your trip home in June. Do you still call it home? I still say I'm going home when I visit Amarillo, even though this really feels more like home now. Your pictures on here are great too! Love you with the lizard and duck feet both! You can tell Katie that my daughter loves Scarborough Faire too. I have a funny picture I'll send you of all of us!

Ian Lidster said...

'Tramp stamp.' I love it. Otherwise, your weekend, complete with duck feet, sounded great.

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I'll have few expectations,so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Scarlet,
~~Yes, sometimes spontaneity really adds to the fun. I think June will be great!

Tai,
~~Wait til you see what I pack into two weeks in June!

Ticknart,
~~Yes! Where are all the white shorts this year?

Jazz,
~~I hope so, not everyone is as lucky as you!

Carole,
~~I don't think I call it home, but I do think of myself as a North Carolinian, and not a Texan.

Ian,
~~I was just so happy it wasn't a real tattoo. That was a Mother's Day gift, right there.

Jammie J. said...

Gosh, let's hope that henna tramp stamp isn't a trial run to the real thing, eh? *big eyes*

You know, it's always hard to find the one item you're looking for -- white shorts -- or remember when I HAD to find a navy colored blouse? Remember when Sears used to have everything you need? Heh. How much do I sound like someone's grandma? :P

I'm glad you had a good Mother's Day -- you deserve it. Also, you look adorable on that duck feet bar stool. :)

Jammie J. said...

Here's some white shorts... who knows if they'll fit right, though.

LINK

geewits said...

Jeanette,
~~Hey thanks! I ordered two pair! I just hope they fit and are not too short. This would save me some time as I am going to be seriously busy preparing for both trips in the next few weeks.
I wouldn't be too surprised if she got a real tattoo, heck she may even have some. I just hope not!
I grew up getting everything at Sears except clothes. My Dad was an Allstate agent so we got a discount there. I still go there for some things, but it has been a while.

Russell said...

It's Wednesday morning and I am just seeing this! Fun post! I liked the animal feet stools a lot!

Looks like you are a person who knows how to have a fun time, and that is good! Some people, okay, a lot of people, can't stand to have their picture taken much less in a public place like a restaurant, etc. That is too bad since some of our best memories are when we are doing something like eating out, etc.

I like your statement that you don't care what a bunch of strangers in a mall think or don't think -- that's a great philosophy!! Here's to you! Take care and glad to here you had a nice day Sunday!

XUP said...

I think next Mother's Day, you and your daughter ought to go out and get matching tattoos. That's what I think. I will if you will.

Jo said...

Ohmygod, Geewits, you quack er, crack me up.

geewits said...

Russell,
~~Actually, I learned the hard way. I went through a spell when I never wanted my picture taken and now I'm not in those "memories." Besides, the older I get the more I think my younger pictures look good. So anything takne now will look fine in 10 years!

Xup,
~~Knock your seld out. I've always said the only tattoo I would ever get would be "Do Not Resuscitate" printed on my chest.

Josie,
~~Be prepared!