Sunday, May 11, 2008

Harmonica, Friends, & the answer

I've mentioned before that My Sweetie gets weird random stuff as "perks" through his job. Well, the other day he came home with a harmonica. He's really into playing with it, and it's okay, because unlike a guitar or a piano, you can't really hit an off note with a harmonica. Well it made me want to find my harmonica. I've been looking for it for several years. When I was about 19, my Bestest Buddy Bill gave me his old harmonica. My Dad had married a piano player and she had all sorts of songbooks and I found a little book that had the theme from "Mash." I spent weeks working on it and finally learned how to play it. One weekend, my Step-mom's youngest daughters spent the night with us and I showed R my harmonica. R has Down's Syndrome and I thought she would like it and I was right. She fell in love with that harmonica. I was happy that I had made her happy and time passed and one day I was looking for my harmonica and couldn't find it. Then I remembered that the last time I had seen it was that night I had let R play with it. I remember asking my step-mom about it and asked her if she could call R (my step-mom's kids lived with their dad) and ask her where it was. Well, that was awfully silly of me, but I was only 19 or so and didn't really have a grasp of what Down's Syndrome was all about. Besides, R was only about 5 and kinda seemed like a 5-year-old to me.
~
My bedroom had a whole wall of sliding door closets. Two sets of two doors. And I was 19, so my closets were a mess. One day, about 4 months later, in the back of the right closet I found a large lady's purse and figured it was my step-mom's. I was wondering how it got in there and picked it up, looked inside and there was my harmonica! I was pretty good about keeping up with it after that and I've moved a million times. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but I've move A LOT and if I haven't posted about that, I should. But anyway, tonight I was looking for my harmonica again and I was looking in this one place where I keep old stuff and I found this maybe 5" x 8" zippered wallety organizery thing that had all sorts of weird random stuff in it and I found this old picture of me and Lo and I think it's probably the best picture of the both of us that I've ever seen.

Once I saw the word "Ra" in the background, I knew we were sitting at the Nile Bar at the Luxor in Las Vegas. Judging by my thinness and haircut, I believe this was taken in 1999. That was our first trip. That's one of the good things about always changing my hairstyles - it makes it easier to guess dates in old pictures. In case anyone doesn't know the history of Lo and Me, we had met once for about 20 minutes at my Dad's house while he was napping in his recliner and then we smoked together by the bar at my Dad's retirement party (and she also drove us there). She was very helpful that next week, because my Dad died at his retirement party and I was staying at his house working on funeral arrangements and stuff with my brother. This was October 1998. In May or June of 1999, I was still suffering from post-traumatic stress from Dad's death and DREADING the anniversary of his death, so I called Lo and told her how I felt and asked if she'd like a trip to Vegas for that week. We didn't really know each other, but she had known Dad for years - she was a neighbor, and had been so helpful after his death, it just seemed like a good idea to me. We have a 14 year age difference, but I didn't even think about that. She flew into DFW and we flew together to Vegas and made a memory to last forever. It was just the beginning of many trips and a very long friendship. We e-mail every Monday thru Friday (she only has e-mail at work like Jazz) and talk on the phone a lot. I will get to see her in June at the N.C. beach cottage, and it's sort of our 10th anniversary.
~
I guess my trip to Vancouver in just 3 weeks has made me think about this a lot, because Josie and I will be meeting up and vacationing together as sort of unknowns like Lo and me were almost ten years ago. I feel like Josie and I will also have that great fun connection and I will have another lifelong friend. Many people have been rather skeptic about my Vancouver trip and say things like, "You're going to CANADA to stay with this blogger person that you've never met?!?" And all I can think about when they say this is "10 years ago I went to Vegas with an almost stranger and I have made a friend for life." I expect to have a GRAND time in Vancouver and I also expect to find my harmonica in the next few days. I think I know where it might be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the answer to the picture puzzle. I think Naomi is better suited at this than I am, so I don't think I'll do this again and I'll just enjoy trying my luck with her:



13 comments:

Scarlet said...

I would've never guessed it was a cooler. (It really did look like a Crunch bar in the close up!)

First of all, Happy Mother's Day!!

Secondly, I'm so jealous of your trip to Vancouver! Wow! I love stories like the one of you and Lo. I have a writer friend, Dottie, who's in her 80s now and I met her on a trip to Office Depot about 10 years ago. I've only seen her that one time, but we've been keeping in touch through e-mails and phone calls ever since. She's inspirational and a lot of fun.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear about your time in CANADA with Josie. I don't think it's crazy at all... love a good adventure! From what I've read, she has a great sense of humor (like you), so I imagine you'll have a wonderful time!

Jo said...

Geewits, Happy Mother's Day!!! Also, I would never have guessed it was a cooler!

You know, you are very brave coming to Vancouver to stay with a complete stranger, but I think we will have fun, because we are going to do whatever you want to do. It is your vacation, so I will be the tourist in my own town, which is a TON of fun. I'm game for anything, as long as it doesn't involve going too high in an elevator or an airplane. :-) And I have stocked up on Pears soap, and beer. *heh* I know you will love Vancouver, even if you decide you can't stand me (which I hope is not the case...)

We'll have fun. :-)

Leslie: said...

Yeah, and don't forget that another blogging "stranger" will be around some of the time to supervise you two! lol

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~Yes, I am so looking forward to the trip. At this point, my biggest concern is having the correct clothes for the weather.

Josie,
~~I do not want to go up in a high elevator! I know we will have fun. Here's a rundown of things I don't like about people and how they don't apply to you:

1- Irritating voice. I have spoken to you and you have a lovely voice. The irony of my voice thing is my voice is terrible, but I want everyone else to have a lovely voice!

2- Unopiniated (is that a word?) People with no opinons on anything freak me out. I know you have opinions and I agree with 98% of them.

3- Narrow mindedness. You are so NOT narrow minded!

4- No sense of humor. THIS really does not apply to you. You are fun and funny!

See you in 3 weeks!

Leslie,
~~Yes! I've declared Wednesday, June 4th as Leslie Day, so I will see you then and we will have a good ole time!

Russell said...

I am sure you, Josie and Leslie will have lots of fun in Vancouver!

The question is not whether you are ready for Vancouver but is Vancouver ready for you!!! I have a feeling you will have a great time and that all of you will enjoy being together a great deal!!

Cycling Goddess said...

Great post geewits! I also did that thing, going somewhere to stay with someone I never met. In my case, it was someone I had never talked to either, just email! I'll spare you the long story but I also made a friend for life. She visited me last year and I'm seeing her again in September. The internet has opened so many doors! You will looooove Vancouver, it's a beautiful city. I also hope you get to see Victoria.

I'm envious! And I look forward to hearing all about your trip. 3 weeks! how time flies...

Jazz said...

I think you should swing by Montreal and stay with another one of "those blogger peopele" ;-)

Cycling Goddess said...

Do I hear road trip? lol

geewits said...

Russell,
~~I'm not sure if Vancouver is ready for me! I've told Josie to practice rolling her eyes behind my back and saying to people, "She's here from Texas.

Sylvie,
~~That's nice that you made a friend like that. Yes the internet is not the big bad evil that some people think it is! Road trip? Isn't Montreal about a bajillion miles from Vancouver?

Jazz,
~~I will keep Montreal in mind for a future trip, but I really think we should meet up at a beach somewhere!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I would never have guessed this in a million years, and yet the minute I saw it I said..Oh Of Course! I think you did GREAT with this game!

XUP said...

I'm sure you'll have a such a splendid time, you'll never want to go home. I've met blogger people and they've all been really great. And Vancouver is awesome. Really, you might as well pack up your house now.

Anonymous said...

Aawww... you're so sweet... I love you girl!!! I can not wait to have some TLF with you!!!!

Anonymous said...

http://markonzo.edu So where it to find, actual ashley furniture [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536072]actual ashley furniture[/url], hiaocqo, watch allegiant air [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536075]watch allegiant air[/url], 070, best pressure washers [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536078]best pressure washers[/url], wbgqjd, follow dishnetwork [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536080]follow dishnetwork[/url], judcn, fresh adt security [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536076]fresh adt security[/url], 01168,