Sunday, March 02, 2008

But You Have To Know How


Happy Downtowner tagged me with that page 123 meme. The thing is, Ticknart had this a while back and unfortunately I have the same book near my computer. The book is Hey! It's That Guy which is a book about character actors and unfortunately page 123 is the page for Brian Thompson and there is nothing really interesting about him (I hope he doesn't read this). I couldn't help but wonder if this meme started out to build a funny story with all these random 5 lines from books.

When I was in 7th grade we did a fun creative writing exercise. We started writing a story and then a timer dinged (DING!) and we passed our paper to the person behind us. This went on until our original story had worked its way down the row and back to us and we then had to wrap up the story. I thought it was fascinating how my original concept changed. I actually kept that piece of paper and it is probably in one of those boxes that I keep.

A lady named Rhea challenged Josie to write a six word memoir based on Hemmingway's six word story: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." I noticed nearly all of the responses to Rhea's challenge were very, uhm, adjectivey or haikuish. (I don't think those are real words, but what the hey?) People seemed kinda freaked out by the concept. I thought it was too easy. I recently commented on Happy Downtowner's blog that this line from The Cat in the Hat is practically my mantra: Look at me, look at me, look at me now. It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how.

My 6 word memoir is this: I know how to have fun.

18 comments:

Big Brother said...

I prefer Green Eggs and Ham... ;o) Mine would have to be "Live life to the fullest, now!"

Scarlet said...

I love your 6 words!! That writing exercise you did in school sounds like something I'd enjoy NOW. Maybe we try the blog version of this sometime.

I love the Cat In the Hat books. "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go!"

Cycling Goddess said...

I love it! I don't know what would be mine, I think it changes according to my moods :) For example, on Facebook I have a saying that goes like this: "Next time I'll backup that f...ing computer!" this was done after I lost everything on my laptop. lol

I didn't know you had been tagged before but I thank you very much for mentioning it and having a very interesting response.

Jo said...

Omigosh, that's wonderful...! For some reason, I just cannot do it. I guess I am too verbose, or something. I can't seem to pare anything down to just six words. I will keep trying, though.

Ilove the costume, though!! Only you. :-)

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~I just woke up and wish I had green eggs and ham. And grits. I like your memoir!

Scarlet,
~~People have tried it but unless there is a dedicted page, it tends to get lost.

HD,
~~It's just that my closest book has a very dull page 123!

Josie,
~~That was a fun and easy costume. If you have the hat, (and we got it for free as some sort of promotion from my husband's work)the rest is easy.
You have already done your memoir title many times and it's only FIVE words:
What would Deborah Kerr do?

Russell said...

"I know how to have fun." Perfect! Better than Hemmingway's if you want my opinion!!

That is what life is all about, isn't it? Making the best of every day and seeing the bright side of life! Granted, not every day can be sunshine and roses (and whiskers on kittens and bright colored mittens!) but every day has the potential to be a good day if we only allow it.

Take care and I always enjoy your comments on my blog and the other ones I see.

Ian Lidster said...

I love the pictures. You are adorable, you are, you are.

geewits said...

Russell,
~~And the real trick is to find the funny on the bad days. I can do that.

Ian,
~~I don't think I've ever been called adorable! Hmmm. Thank you so much.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL, LOL...That is good one! I am not sure I could do a six word anything! I do love the Hemingway 6 words, and one could write a very interesting sory based on that....

That game you used to plat with the writing of a story and passing it on, and so on....We used to do that too...Only it was just one sentence each, and you had to cover up the one before yours, if you were adding to the original....It made for some very weird little story's! (lol)

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~So you were adding to a story that you couldn't read? I bet that was crazy!

Carole said...

Wow! That costume suits you puurrfectly. And I'm sure thing 1 & thing 2 are lurking somewhere in the background. You've seen them hiding in your bamboo, right? Ha! As for your memoir "I know how to have fun"; I'm sure that also makes you one of the funnest people to be around!

Dave said...

The story writing exercise where you were dinged... Now I remember doing that as well! Good memories. Lots of fun! :-)

Tai said...

LOL! I LOVE that!

geewits said...

Hey Carole!
~~Welcome to the blogging community! (Carole is my neighbor!)

Dave,
~~I guess a lot of schooling is similar. I think someone on my row introduced space aliens into my story.

Tai,
~~I'd love to hear your 6 word memoir.

Carole said...

Hey neighbor! I don't have a blog "yet", but I really wanted to say hi to you on here. You make this look so fun 'cause you're always so funny & clever. So I'll either be seeing you here, or there (or is here there?). See ya!

geewits said...

Carole,
~~Thanks for stopping by. In blogspeak, when just read and don't make comments you're called a "lurker." Now you have de-lurked yourself!

Jocelyn said...

What a perfect memoir for you--that feeling of fun comes across in every post!

Jammie J. said...

I love the writing assignment you had in grade school. I don't remember ever having anything so fun! Hehe, but then, I didn't always know how to have fun, either. :)