Monday, March 03, 2008

Wecome to Texas!

I think it was 70 degrees yesterday (Sunday). I can't help but wonder if that's the day all the national new reporters flocked (like BIRDS!, heh heh) to Texas to cover Tuesday's primary. They were probably quite warm depending on their home bases. They probably spent Sunday getting settled in and playing golf. And then tonight it snowed. I think the temperature dropped 36 degrees in less than 24 hours. I wonder how many of the reporters did not bring a coat?

Speaking of the national news, ABC's "World News Tonight" did a story on the grackle problem here and of course mentioned Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, so I was thinking, Do they read my blog? It was quite a coincidence that they reported on it today. After years of dealing with these annoying birds, they have finally found a solution: Hawks. Apparently hawks can take down and kill 6 or more grackles in a day and the grackles do not like the hawks and may go away on their own. And these are pet hawks and the hawk owners are getting paid for this. Only in Texas.

Today was the first time my Mom and I have had a political argument. We have always been on the same page in the past, but now we are in different books. She is in her retirement place in North Carolina but still registered to vote here. She even tried to get her husband to drive her here to vote, but he's not only in a different book, he's in a different bookstore. She tried so hard to persuade me to vote her way and I tried so hard to explain why I was voting my way. Now I'm glad she's out of town so that her vote does not cancel out my vote. I've put a lot of thought into this vote, almost too much, but I have made my decision and that is that.

I've mentioned before how Texans love being the center of attention and now this primary has become important and the hype is incredible. Phrases like "Texas is the Belle of the Ball," are all over the news. And then it snowed tonight and Texas goes crazy for Weather. I actually felt sorry for the news directors. The night before the primary AND snow. They must have been going crazy.

22 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Yea, tomorrow's a big day for y'all!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure all the major networks DO read your blog. They would if they were smart!

geewits said...

Jocelyn,
~~Hee hee hee!

Scarlet said...

My mom won't talk politics w/ anyone. She talks religion and sex all the time, but no politics. :)

BTW, if they're going to steal your stories or get ideas off your blog, ABC should be paying you a little something, don't ya think??

Cycling Goddess said...

Politics is a topic my mother and I almost had a falling out over at the last referendum in Quebec. She couldn't understand what she stood to lose as the coverage in French was totally different than in English. In any case, we mutually decided never to touch politics again as we are poles apart. Works better that way :)

Texas is a big one for Hilary today but so is Ohio, from what I heard. The US primary are big news here, north of the border.

ticknart said...

That hawk thing, not only in Texas. Here in wine country, the "certified organic" vineyards hire people with hawks to come out once a week, or so, to scare the birds and mice and such away. Some farms have been doing it for years.

It doesn't help the regular people, though, just the farmers. At least in Texas it's about regular folks.

Tai said...

Heat and then snow...it's a clothing nightmare!

Carole said...

Cool video! Pardon the pun. :)

Jazz said...

If the grackles leave because of the hawks, I'm sure whoever inherits them will be thrilled with all of you...

Jo said...

Geewits, good luck today. You guys had better get it right! The whole world is watching.

It snowed here yesterday too. Snow on the palm trees, can you even imagine?

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~My Dad and I were like that. We could not discuss politics but we talked about religion all the time.

HD,
~~A PIC! Yay! I've never seen you before. How cute you are! I think that's very interesting that the coverage was different for each language.

Ticknart,
~~Yes, but regular folk buy the wine!

Tai,
~~Not when you're in the house the whole time. I just added socks.

Carole,
~~Did you hear all the kids out there?

Jazz,
~~I don't believe they will.

Josie,
~~Yeah we talked about this, so you're not going to like it. My Mom actually sounded a lot like you about everything.
Snow on palm trees just seems wrong.

Jo said...

*sigh* I have a feeling...

Heh.

Carole said...

Geewits,
I didn't hear the kids, but I can just imagine that they went crazy over the snow! And my dog hates rain, but he loves snow! Kinda funny, huh.

Leslie: said...

From what I read here, it appears you might be voting differently from how J & I would vote, if we were Americans. We're relying on you guys to "get it right!" as J says. Obama has charisma but not a lot of substance (in my humble opinion) whereas HC may not have that same charisma or charm that a good-looking man has, but she IS the right candidate for the job. Again, in my humble opinion. We'll be watching!

Leslie: said...

Oh yeah, I meant to comment on the fact that is snowed there! Huh? I never thought it snowed in Texas!

geewits said...

Josie,
~~I love your new pic!

Carole,
~~It's the noise. Snow is very quiet.

Leslie,
~~When we meet in June, I'll explain my stance, but I don't discuss my politics on my blog.

geewits said...

Leslie,
~~We even had a big snow in 2004. My neighbor just sent me pictures. It's usually flurries a few times a year although we are also very prone to freezing rain, which is bad and hail, which is very bad.

Big Brother said...

Snow in Texas what is the world coming to... here I can understand... we're about to get another 15 to 20 cm tonight and tomorrow morning... long range forecast gives us another 10 cm next Monday. I figure that it should all be melted sometime in August at this rate. As for the birds, send them here, they'll all freeze and be buried under a ton of snow.

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~they'll all freeze and be buried under a ton of snow

Heh heh heh. That really cracked me up!

Jazz said...

Geewits, there's an award for you at my blog.

Rhea said...

Texans do go nutty over weather. It cracks me up! Politics and weather together, oh my!

Annie in Austin said...

I didn't know about the hawks being hired out to keep the grackles under control, Geewits, thanks. Austin garden bloggers see plenty of grackles - one blog is called "The Grackle" and another is "The Grackle Shack". I wonder how the hawks feel about White-winged doves? Ooops... hawks and doves - does that count as politics?

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Jammie J. said...

Our weather has been nutty like that, too. Although not to the extreme of snow! Well, at least not where I live. Maybe in the mountains. :)

Ohhh, politics! Something I don't touch in a conversation with a ten foot pole!