Monday, March 10, 2008

Popular by default


How I felt at the party.

Friday night was certainly weird. It was a work party/(very long) happy hour event celebrating 3 different things for two different people. And yeah, I don't work, so it was my husband's company. I wasn't really looking forward to it for all the reasons you can imagine and also because I feel like I have to keep a sense of decorum at these things and I'm not all that decorous when I'm at a big loud party. Is decorous a word? But it ended up being a fun and very interesting night. The wackiest part was how people that had initially generally ignored me, upon finding out I was Mrs. My Sweetie, were fawning all over me. Like they had a sudden personality transplant. Those people really really love my husband. Or something. I started to feel like a celebrity. Or a celebrity's wife. I did take my cue from the behavior of others and cut loose a bit. I sang "Happy Birthday" to the birthday guy and "Happy Trails" to the going away guy after inhaling helium. It seemed to go over well. I have a really funny helium voice. There were also vendors there including an old vendor from my working days that I knew from 1995. I told him he looked exactly the same to me but he took it as an insult. I didn't mean it as one. I'm probably 40 pounds heavier, not to mention 13 years older, so I know I didn't look the same. If he had told me I looked the same, I would have taken it as a compliment. I even met a guy that's married to a woman that used to work there. Small world, I guess. The best one was I met a blogger that reads 3 different things I read. He asked me for my blog and I told him I couldn't tell him because of my husband's request for anonymity and he works with my husband. He said he would try to figure it out from the blogs we both read. I never comment on one of them (dooce) very rarely comment on another (Wil Wheaton) and I don't think he could guess me from TVGasm. I felt bad that I couldn't tell him, but I have to respect my husband's wishes. It ended up being quite a long night but we made it home in one piece. We were very close to the house, thank goodness.

We finally updated our phones today. And because I am quite a cheapo about some things, we opted for the free upgrade phones. They are very tiny. I sure won't miss having to remember the keypad lock thing. And the phone takes pictures in case I forget my camera. My husband's phone was even older than mine and he didn't even have text messaging so he went crazy. We went to the grocery store after we got the phones and he texted me from like 30 feet away. What a goof! I can supposedly check my e-mail on this phone but I'll probably never figure that out.

I'd love to close by saying it was a great weekend but my team lost the big game against their arch rivals on Saturday and came in second for their conference. I cried. It sucked. But they can still win the conference tournament. But not if they play like they did on Saturday. There's still March Madness after that and of course:

There's always next year!

14 comments:

Big Brother said...

Don't try the email thing, it'll cost you an arm and a leg just to send the data. I tried it and it came out to 3.50$ for a small email saying test (about 5kb). Wouldn't want to see the bill for a large one with attachments. ;o( Unless your sweety has a corporate account and the company is paying of course. ;o) Text messages are way cheaper.

Jazz said...

Wow. I wish I was popular once in a while, by default or not.

As for figuring out emails, hell I don't even know how to use a cellphone.

Jammie J. said...

It sounds like the party went well, all things considered. :) I think I'd be a little concerned if someone told me I looked the same... hehe, someone once asked me if I ever age. That was nice. :)

Sooooo, what cell phone did you get? Huh, huh??

Cycling Goddess said...

I love partays me :) And I'm like you too, if it's a good party and I'm having fun, I can be a little bit loud :)

Not sure how the plans are in the US but emailing with a phone cost you $$$$$ unless it's a flat rate. I prefer texting myself. I'm due for another phone soon too so will go shopping.

Tai said...

I'm glad it turned out so well! I'm going to have to get my hands on a helium balloon for when you visit, because THAT I have to hear!

Dave said...

I have never been one to enjoy large parties where I knew no one. I like the "few good friends" type.

It's funny how you try to comliment someone when in fact it turns onto an insult... bin there... dunn that! :-)

Take care!

Ian Lidster said...

I find parties are often better in retrospect than when I am actually there. And, they are never fun beforehand.

Leslie: said...

Is that Jesus on helium in the picture? lol

Jo said...

"I sang "Happy Birthday" to the birthday guy and "Happy Trails" to the going away guy after inhaling helium."

There is a sentence I don't read very often. In fact, I don't think I have ever read that sentence before.

But I sure would have loved to have heard it...! :-)

What a hoot!

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~Hmmm, so I should keep my camera with me even though the phone has a camera. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get my pctures on the computer.

Jazz,
~~You are popular. You just need to join the 21st Century.

Jeanette,
~~I was tense going into the party but it ended up well. It's the Samsung M300 Sprint Vision. It was free with a mail-in rebate so that works for me. And I don't do all the stuff you do with a phone.

HD,
~~I hope you get a free one!

Tai,
~~Helium is fun!

Dave,
~~I don't mind crowds of strangers - but not so much if they are my husband's co-workers.

Ian,
~~Geez. That's a lot to think about.

Leslie,
~~LOL!

Josie,
~~No one lost an eye!

Scarlet said...

I've never inhaled...helium. You sound like a lot of fun at a party, or anywhere else for that matter.

What's wrong with telling someone they look the same as they did years ago? Unless he clearly doesn't (100 pounds overweight or completely bald), it's a compliment.

You Sweetie sounds like a nice guy. I'm glad you both had fun!

Russell said...

Congrats! on having a good time. Even more than that, it was really good of you to go with your husband, to have a good time at the party (which people can choose to do or not do....!!) and to respect his request not to let people he works with know about your blog.

I only hope he is as nice to you as you are to him! But I am sure he is!!

It has been a long time since I was to a large party (you want the truth? it was in the 1970s or early 1980s!!!). Now that I am a bit older (!!) I am strictly a person who likes smaller gatherings. But at one time it was fun.

I enjoy your enthusiam and sense of humor! Take care!

Russell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~I'm one of those people that's going to have fun. That's what I do. I really meant it as a compliment when I told that guy he looked the same. Oh well!

Russell,
~~I like a big party if it's big enough to get lost in, and I like nice small gatherings, but I don't like that weird in-between size.