Thursday, March 06, 2008

My Blogging Mentor


Jazz awarded me the Blogging Mentor award. I have to say I was shocked and extremely honored (honoured, as she would say). When I first saw this award going around I started thinking about what it meant. Then, of course, because I have a spritely (spastic?) brain, I began thinking about my whole blogging experience. It 's a goofy story which is entirely appropriate as it is my story.


What happened was, years ago, maybe 2003 or 2004, I was reading my People Magazine and there was a little blurb about an anonymous Hollywood blog that had everyone guessing. I didn't know what a blog was, but I punched in the stuff and found a very funky website by a guy who claimed to be a Hollwood Player and had all sorts of interesting and sordid stories. He interspersed all these colorful showbiz anecdotes with little short stories. Because it was a big mystery about who this guy was, I became intrigued and did lots of research. I read the whole thing and checked dates and whatnot and decided it had to be Steve Martin. After the People article, I wasn't the only curious person checking out his site, and he got tired of people just commenting guesses, like "Are you Ben Affleck?"( Which was stupid of course, because he was obviously much older.) He started turning over his blog to guest writers and "friends" and eventually stopped blogging. I did once leave this comment: "You were born in Waco, Texas in 1945." He stopped posting close enough after that time to make me think I was right.

I also did a search on an expression once and found Plurp, a website that ended in 2004. I still didn't know the word "blog" in 2003, so I'd say, "I have to read the Plurp." Please don't look it up, because my comments there are very dorky.

I don't remember what the blog server was for "Steve Martin" but at the top of the page was a link that said something like "read other blogs" or something to that effect. I was bored one night and clicked on it and there was a page of recent posts. I would randomly click on them and most were boring or creepy, but one night I hit on one that was interesting to me. I have no idea why. If I remember correctly, she was a wife and mom of two kids in Kentucky and was in the healthcare business. I guess I just liked the way she said stuff. Well one night she said, "You HAVE to check out this blog!" That was Jay's Party, which is still there but ended in June 2005. (And if you want to check it out, you should start at the beginning.) I found it absolutely riveting! Remember the TV viewers on The Truman Show? It was like that.

Well, I found Jeanette (the cutie in the picture with me up there) in Jay's comments. The name "Jeanette" is special to me, so I contacted her to join her private blog. I loved her blog. We had that wonderful thing where we were very similar and very different (My favorite combination!) so I was always leaving all sorts of long comments and she always said, "You need to make a blog." Many times. Finally one day I did. So, I guess Jeanette is my blogging mentor. Thanks Jeanette! I'm really enjoying it!

15 comments:

Jazz said...

That is such a cool story, and so typically you... I love it.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Congrats on the award and for the wonderful story too.

Jo said...

Congratulations on the award. You definitely deserve it. Your blog is always fun.

Steve Martin! Omigosh. I think you were smart enough to find him out!

Cycling Goddess said...

What a great story, I really enjoyed reading it. And you so deserve the award :)

Scarlet said...

This is a wonderful story and congratulations on the award!

I will have to check out Jay's Party just to see what all the buzz is about.

BTW, I like your story about your best friend, Jeanette. Is there a way you can locate her??

Dave said...

Congrats on your award. You deserve it and I have no doubt that as time goes on, you will have other awards bestowed upon you.... At least you should!

Take care! :-)

Leslie: said...

Isn't it fun to find out how and why others started their own blogs? I think I might look up your dorky comments...*hee hee*...okay maybe not. :D

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Thanks!

LGS,
~~Thanks, it took a while to remember everything.

Josie,
~~I'll never know for sure but his short stories seemed similar and he collected art. I also checked dates of when he said he was in Europe and compared it to his movie locations.

HD,
~~Thanks! And it came from Jazz!

Scarlet,
~~It took a lot of work but I found her. We still haven't seen each other in person, but we talk on the phone some. I even went to her sister's wedding reception in N.C. thinking she'd be there but she couldn't make it. She lives in Atlanta and plans to come to N.C. to see me in June when I'm there on vacation.

Dave,
~~I think every award I've seen trickles down to me eventually because people run out of people to give them to. I never pass them on because by the time they come my way, everyone I know already has them. This was the only award I had seen that I knew I wouldn't get, so I was deeply touched.

Leslie,
~~It was an odd blog, but it's still there.

Jammie J. said...

I still miss Jay. :(
I still remember your contact e-mail. It made me smile. Just like you still do. :)

It's funny, I've only known a handful of Jeanette's in my life. I guess the name wasn't wildly popular. Thanks for the huge compliment -- I had no idea you thought so highly of me. :)

geewits said...

Jeanette,
~~I'll always wish I could have met you on a day I had not just come off a plane. I'm pretty worthless on flying days. I'm much more myself after a good night's sleep (Josie! Take Notice!).
You kept encouraging me to start my own blog and I'm so glad you did and I did.
I hope to finally see my childhood Jeanette in June. I think she will be surprised to find there is another young, cool, vibrant Jeanette out there!
Thanks again.
:)

Russell said...

Most interesting! I just got into the blogging world last December - so I am a real newbie! I fell Josie's blog and to this day it is still my very favorite! I still don't know how I found her - but she is my mentor.

Reading about your experience and your mentor was something I could relate to and enjoyed your comments.

Steve Martin - a most interesting person. He used to write for the Smothers Brothers show on CBS back in the days of Laugh In. I saw him in concert once - he came into the domed stadium in a greyhound bus!! That was when he wore white suits and did his "cat juggling" routine as well as having an arrow through his head - silly but fun!

Take care.

Ian Lidster said...

Terrific story. I found it quite fascinating. And congratulations on the award. Thoroughly well deserved.

geewits said...

Russell,
~~You are very lucky to have seen Martin in his "white suit" days! Josie is awesome and has influenced me a lot, but Jeanette was the one that kept telling me to get my own blog.

Ian,
~~Thanks! Isn't it crazy I will be in your neck of the woods in June?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I think it would be fun if everyone did a post about the person who started them blogging....As you say, each of them would certainly be called The Blog Mentor...Or Maybe the Blog Whisperer.....lol!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I like that: The Blog Whisperer