Saturday, March 15, 2008

When TV was Great

We've been working our way through the old "Mary Tyler Moore" shows since Christmas. When I was making my Christmas wish list I suddenly realized with a bit of shock that I didn't own any Mary. I got Season 1 for Christmas and we loved it so much, my husband kept ordering them. I actually felt sort of sorry for him because he was only 5 when the first one aired. I was 11 and remember how much my parents were looking forward to this new show.
~
It was a Saturday night show and was part of the then "Must see TV" line-up on Saturdays that included "All in the Family" and "The Carol Burnett Show"and two years later, "The Bob Newhart Show." I loved Saturday nights. We lived across a dirt road from Leroy's which was a little country store and many Saturday nights Dad would send my brother over there for candy bars or my Mom would make popcorn. And we always had Pepsi.
~
I didn't really realize how much Mary's wardrobe on the show influenced my Mom. They were close to the same age and looked a lot alike. We were not wealthy so my Mom made a lot of our clothes. She was pretty good at it too. She was always in there sewing away and make some really good outfits. It's crazy and well kinda touching watching the show now and recognizing so many outfits. When we watch the show I find myself saying stuff like: "My Mom made herself a suit just like that!" or "Mom had a dress just like that!" One of my favorite memories is when Mom went into my brother's room one Saturday and took a blue vinyl bedspread off of one of his bunkbeds and made herself a skirt and vest. People went crazy over it. It WAS the seventies, okay?
~
But back to the show. It really amazes me how fresh and funny this show is. There is not a lot of topical humor, or maybe I should say there isn't TOO MUCH topical humor. It's really just great universal situational humor. We are currently on the 3rd disk of season three and it's gotten so funny, I don't even want to watch it while I eat. I don't want to choke or spew food all over the floor from laughing. My Sweetie says the third season is when a really great show hits its stride - and this show is really great now. We also have season 4 and I'm looking forward to more Mary & the Gang. If you're in the mood for something different, rent the first season and watch this either for the first time or all over again. It's really fun stuff and will put you in a good mood. You just might love it after all.

8 comments:

Jo said...

*heh* I love the final line of your post.

Yes, TV was a lot better back in the "olden days". I can't even watch most of the junk that passes for sitcoms now. Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett set the bar really high. One of my favorites was "Barney Miller". I also loved "The Brady Bunch". But don't tell anyone. :-)

geewits said...

Josie,
~~"The Brady Bunch" is a fun little show! I'm currently catching a lot of "The Beverly Hillbillies" at midnight. Granny really cracks me up. And Milburn Drysdale. Hee hee.

Leslie: said...

Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all

How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
But it's time you started living
It's time you let someone else do some giving

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all


I didn't watch the original series because that's when I was dating and got married in '73. But all the shows came on in later years and I saw them ALL! AND the Rhoda series, too! Those really were great shows!

I loved it when she flung her hat in the air. Those apparently were real people behind her on the street wondering what was going on!

Oh! and I had a Mary hairdo!

Cycling Goddess said...

Oh I love MTM! I should see if I can get them from the library.

Leslie, that's a great tidbit about her, I didn't know the people behind her were not extras.

Great memories geewit, thank you for sharing :)

Scarlet said...

I caught all the reruns on Nick at Night years ago. My husband would roll his eyes and say, "Oh no, not MARY again!" (At least I don't watch Oprah at bedtime! ;)

One day he cut out a black and white picture of the cast and put it in a frame we had in our living room as a joke, and I didn't notice it for over a week! Then it was so hilarious, I decided to keep it right where it was. Our friends thought we were so weird, but that's okay. :)

geewits said...

Leslie,
~~There were some extras on the first season discs and we found out all about how the opening stuff was filmed. It was good stuff.

Sylvie,
~~I hope the library has it!

Scarlet,
~~That's not only hilarious but sounds like something WE would do!

Jazz said...

I love Mary Tyler Moore...

And I loved the spinoff show with her neighbour. What was it ?? Oh yeah, Rhoda. But MTM was the absolute best.

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Yeah it's really good stuff. Last night we watched the one where Lou's boss ( a prett woman) hits on him.