Sunday, March 23, 2008

Mr. Watson, Something is Afoul!

Thursday night My Sweetie was very, very embarassed to ask me if I had gas. This may not seem like anything to some of you, but in our house, unless we need medical attention, we do not discuss bodily functions. Of any kind. So I looked at him like he was crazy and asked him why he would ask me that. He said he smelled something bad in the entryway by the coat closet. I went over there and couldn't smell anything. I've been getting over a slight cold so my sniffer wasn't up to snuff, but I said, "Maybe it's the trash." He took the trash out and that was the end of the whole thing. Well, the end of the whole thing for Thursday night. Friday after I got up and walked through the entryway, I almost gagged. My first thought was "Oh NO! Our sewer pies are leaking under the house!!" I bent down and sniffed near the floor and the smell was not as strong. I stood back up, lifted my head and sniffed and realized the smell was coming from above. Then I knew we had a dead animal in the attic. I called "my guy." My guy is the man that replaced my shower last year that I call for everything. I called him to get a referral for someone to put my mural behind my toilet and to get a plumber when I was replacing my faucets and the shut off valves started leaking. I can do faucets, but I'm not going to mess with a shut off valve. Anyway the poor guy was almost at a loss (and most likely wishing he had never given me his card) and mentioned several pest control companies. We have a contract with one because of our past termite problem. (And yes I could have linked to all of these stories but it would have been link city in here.) So I thanked him profusely like I always do and called my termite company. The girl that answered the phone referred me to a company that takes care of this type of thing. I called them. About three hours later, the guy showed up.


I was very lucky that it was a gorgeous day and I could open all the windows - otherwise I would not have been able to eat my lunch. Dead animals have a dead animal smell. The guy was very interesting. I told him, "You should be on that TV show." It's a show about nasty jobs and he told me they were in talks with the guy. They do all sorts of animals and as a matter of fact he had just come from a bee job and had been stung several times and his right eye was almost swollen shut. I should have done a close up of the truck so you could read the stuff on it. Well he went up in my attic and sure enough, there was dead Mrs. Brisby. She was about 8 inches (not counting the tail) long. Isn't she lovely?
I had seriously been hoping it was a dead squirrel up there because rats are just gross. Animal guy was trying to tell me that rats and squirrels are the same except "squirrels get better press" which is a very old joke. I've also heard that rats and squirrels only differ because squirrels have pretty bushy tails. I told animal guy: No. The difference is squirrels go around in the daytime doing their thing in public whereas rats sneak around and hide in the dark like they are up to something. Speaking of up to something, it cost $300. Rats! That price included some chemicals where Mrs. Brisby died and he did an inspection to see where she got in. He found a huge hole under the eaves by our front door. He told me to just put cardboard over it to see if it was still being used, so we did that this morning:

The good news is the smell is gone and we found the hole. But $300? I'll go up there myself if I ever smell a dead animal in the attic again. Oh, and that it wasn't sewage pipes. That would have cost a LOT more than $300. See? I always see the good side of things.

14 comments:

Jo said...

Geewits, one of these days you have to publish a book about your domestic adventures with animals, plumbing, renovation, etc. I swear to goodness I laugh out loud every time I read them. You are a hoot!!!

The funniest line in this one is about the fellow showing up at the door with his eye swollen shut from the previous job. The walking wounded... I'm going to be laughing all night now.

geewits said...

Josie,
~~I think, like you, that I imagine I lead a boring little life. I guess we are both fooling ourselves. There's always stuff going on, right?

Jammie J. said...

On the other hand, if it had just been gas from you, a couple pills of Gas X (or something to expedite things along) would have been even cheaper! HA!

Ohhh, that reminds me, I think a critter is getting in under our eaves up by our bedroom. Either that or our neighbors installed wiring... there was little bits of insulation all over my back yard. Hmmm. I think I need to investigate. Thanks for the reminder.

Russell said...

Sounds like quite an adventure!!

A few years ago we had a dead animal some place but I could not find the dumb thing!! The smell was heaviest one of the upstairs bathrooms.

I finally crawled up into the attic - which is just a crawl space with insulation - and found a dead mouse (not rat!). He was actually down in the inside of a light fixture for the bathroom. It took a while to get him out and then I sprayed Lysol and whatever else I could find to try and get rid of the smell.

With the help of some open windows and lots of Lysol (as well as cleaning the fixture with soap and water, etc.) the smell finally went away.

I love animals - if they stay outside!!

Take care.

PS Your house looks beautiful!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Well, this IS the year of the Rat. Probably makes them think they have the right to die anywhere.

On another note: Rats bad. Squirrels good. Squirrels are our friends. :)

Dave said...

A friend of mine has a problem with large racoons in the attic who get in there in the exact way that you have shown in the photo! I gotta remember to not buy a house where the eves are that accessable! LOL

Hope you had a great Eatser!

geewits said...

J,
~~Good luck with that. It does sound like something may be building a nest up there. Or at least stealing insulation to build a nest elsewhere.

Russell,
~~Yeah the guy said they are usually up in something and much harder to get out. Mrs. Brisby was just laying there on top of the insulation.

LGS,
~~Yes, I like squirrels.

Dave,
~~I believe raccoons would be a much bigger problem than a rat! And thanks, we did. I hope you had a great Easter as well!

Carole said...

“Speaking of up to something, it cost $300. Rats!” Hahaha Whenever I use that exclamation now, I’ll think of you and Mrs. Brisby! We sealed up all the openings we could find to our attic, but still find “evidence” of the little rat-stinks in our attic too. Rodents can fit through a hole the size of their skull by compressing their bodies though, so if you miss a little hole... Ack! So whenever I go up into my attic, I make a whole lot of noise as I’m heading up the ladder so as not to come nose to nose with any of the Brisby clan;
because my head is of course the first thing that actually enters the attic, and in the dark before I can get to the light pull. Now I just hope that doesn’t scare any critters up there to the back of the attic and give them a little heart attack. Ewww! There are places we could never get to up there to get a stinky rat. But you can be sure I’ll keep laughing about this blog post unless/until it happens to me.

geewits said...

Carole,
~~You know when they built that new section on Ash is when the termites and rats and possums started showing up over here. I'm going to put a curse on whoever built that neighborhood!

Ian Lidster said...

Truly the only good rat is a dead one, despite the fragrance. My dad once had a possum die in the upper area of his garage and he couldn't use it for a month after he'd removed the corpse the smell was so strong.

Scarlet said...

That's a lot of money for a dead rat, but we had one in our roof a while back and the smell was so horrible I would've paid double of what you paid to get rid of it!

Thank God we haven't had a problem since!

Josie's right about your adventures, and I agree, you do not lead a boring life!

Leslie: said...

Nasty!!! I know that smell cuz my daughter had a pet rat that died and I had to help dispose of it. That smell comes on quickly and it's hard to get it out of your nose.

geewits said...

Ian,
~~That makes me feel better that we spent so much, because the smell went away immediately.

Scarlet,
~~And oddly, it seems like I live a simple dull life.

Leslie,
~~I'm glad the smell comes on quick rather than after days and days of decay. The rat wasn't even stiff!

Cycling Goddess said...

Geewits, I love the way you tell stories :)

I remember having mice in the first house I lived in. I was alone with my dog and didn't know what to do. The buggers came in the fall. I was able to get rid of most of them with only one dying under the couch. ewwwww... thankfully the smell didn't stay very long. That's one thing I definitely don't miss living on the 9th floor of a condo :)