Wednesday, March 19, 2008

No Weather For Travel

It has rained ALL DAY here. And not in a good way. The news stories have been terrible. The airport was shut down most of the day and they said it was affecting airports all over the country. I always feel so bad for all those people stuck at the airport, especially the ones that were just meant to change planes. In all my years of air travel, I've never been in a situation like that. I think I'd handle it okay, though. It's not like I'd be traveling with a baby. Now that would suck! I'd probably just drink until I passed out somewhere. That would be the easiest way to sleep in an airport anyway. You'd just have to have enough wits about you to sleep on top of your stuff so no one could steal anything. Well as usual, I'm thinking about this too much because it will probably never happen to me. Catastrophic weather always happens just before my trips. Katrina happened before my New Orleans trip with my daughter and we already had plane tickets and room reservations. And some forgotten hurricane happened in Mexico about two or three weeks before a trip my husband and I had planned. I think it was Cozumel, but I don't remember now.

It's one in the morning here and I've been hearing planes pretty steadily for the past hour or so, so I guess they are working to finally get some of those people out of there. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and even eventually sunny: A good day for my Meals on Wheels route, a bad day to work at the airport.

12 comments:

Jazz said...

Wow that's lots of rain. Didn't Texas have tons of rain last spring (or summer?) too?

Cycling Goddess said...

OMG that's a lot of rain! Crazy weather you guys have been experiencing in the last year or so isn't it? We're having rain here for the next few days but I doubt we'll have anything like this.

ticknart said...

I'm with Jazz, what's with all the rain and flooding in Texas these last two years? I know you people like to do things bigger than the rest of the nation, but come on!

geewits said...

Jazz, Sylvie and Ticknart,
~~Because Texas (my area anyway) was notoriously such a dry area of the state, the infrastructure is not really set up for drainage during a deluge. That's my theory anyhoo.

Tai said...

Hopefully all goes well for you on your route! You can't drown before we have a beer on Granville Island, you know!

geewits said...

Tai,
~~Granville Island? I need my Atlas (or Google Earth). I thought we were meeting on Vancouver Island. I need help from Mr. Geography!

Big Brother said...

geewits, you guys seem to be having as much rain as we're having snow...bummer.

Jo said...

*heh* Geewits, Granville Island is where False Creek is. Does that help you? The little teeny ferry boats and Bridges Restaurant.

My gosh, with all the rain you're getting, you'd think you were in Vancouver or somethig. :-)

Jazz said...

Josie - It's cause they're getting her ready for Vancouver!

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~Well, I'd rather have rain, I guess.

Josie,
~~Oh, okay, so she's coming over here? Here? heh heh, I meant to your neck of the woods?

Jazz,
~~So I should be prepared for fuzzy hair there?

Jammie J. said...

So how do you know just when to plan your trips? Or is it the other way around and mother nature knows when you're traveling?

geewits said...

J,
~~I just plan my trips and hope I don't break a bone or get sick. I forget to wish for good weather!