Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Story of the Dogs

Last Wednesday was a nice day. I was in a good mood because everything was going so well and I didn't have any major errands to run after Meals on Wheels. More specifically, I didn't have to go to the grocery store. I really, really miss grocery delivery service. (Dear Grocery Peoples: Please start up a delivery service in my area again. Thank you.) So anyway, I was in such a good mood, I had forgotten all about Sir Bites-a-lot. As I was getting out of my truck at the house just before that one I noticed the new board in the fence across the street and was glad it was there. There used to be dog that barked his head off with his crazy face sticking out where the one fence board was missing. And when I thought of that, I remembered.
~
When I got back in my truck, I packed up all their stuff and had it ready. And the house was right around the corner so I didn't have much time to get all fired up. I wanted to just pull up and honk my horn but that would have been goofy, so I called them. A lady answered and I said (quite tersely), "Hi this is 'Geewits' with Meals on Wheels and I'm out here in my truck with your food. I'm not going to come to the door because your dog bit me last week." She said, "Oh, I'm holding him and someone else is coming to the door." I asked, "Can you guarantee that dog will not come out that door?" She barked, "I'm holding him!" So now I was "fired up" (I wanted to use the P word here, but it's not very Southern Belle, so I'll go with "fired up"). I marched up to the door and as I was walking up, Mr. Cigar (he always has a cigar in his hand) says, "He'll either be closed off in a room or someone will be holding him." I thrust his food at him and said, "Yeah, that was NOT pleasant." I turned sharply and marched back to my truck and never looked back. And Wednesday? I will call them again from my truck. And every Wednesday after that. So there!
~
I felt slightly redeemed after that and continued to have a pleasant afternoon. When I got home, the yappy-ass dog that belongs to my uphill neighbors was outside and ran right up to me barking his idjit head off. Ran right up to me in MY YARD. Barking. AT me. IN MY YARD. I was furious. So what did I do? I reached in my purse, whipped out my camera and took a picture. That freaked the dog out and he ran back home. (And yes we need to mow. I have told the mower, and yet...) It's hard to complain about anything with those neighbors though because the man is a WWII vet and I have a very soft spot in my heart for WWII vets. But that dog better stay away from me.

So just in case you are starting to think I am a dog hater, I will finish this post by telling you about Lonesome George. We went to my In-Laws for Easter dinner on Sunday and were in the backyard looking at the extensive tree work my FIL had had done. They have a smallish regular backyard, but behind their little brick wall their yard is one steep hill. You can look down into the yards from the next street. Well, directly behind them is an empty house, but someone keeps a dog in the yard and just shows up to feed it. It's a Bassett Hound looking dog. Or maybe it's an actual Bassett Hound.He looked so sad and lonely. We picked our way down the very steep incline on rough-hewn stone steps, which I wish I had taken a picture of, and went to the fence where we petted the friendly lonely dog and talked to him. He was so sweet. Poor Lonesome George. My FIL named him that and it seemed like a good name for him. I wanted to steal him and take him to a loving home. Who would leave a dog at an empty house? Poor little guy!
So now you know the truth. I do not hate dogs. I just hate dogs that live next door and yap incessantly and dogs that run out and bite me all over my foot.

13 comments:

Cycling Goddess said...

I'm like you, I love dogs but dislike badly behaved ones, in fact, I think I dislike their owners even more.

I'm a big sap when I see a dog that is obviously lonely. Poor Lonesome George. It breaks my heart.

ticknart said...

Someone must be feeding George, he looks healthy.

geewits said...

HD,
~~Yes, I do blame the owners for bad dogs but that doesn't endear me to a dog that is biting my foot.

Ticknart,
~~Oh they come by and feed him, but that's IT.

Tai said...

Yeah, nobody likes dogs that bite!

geewits said...

Tai,
~~And if anybody does, I'm not one of them!

Scarlet said...

You are truly justified in how you feel about the bad dogs, but Lonesome George makes up for both of them. He looks like a sweet old thing. It breaks my heart to hear he's alone in the yard all day.

Leslie: said...

Aw, he looks so sweet! Can't someone contact the SPCA or someone to do with animal cruelty? Because that is cruel...to leave the poor guy there all alone. Does he at least have shelter?

Jo said...

There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners. And I have experienced plenty of those! That dog next door doesn't look sweet, he looks neurotic and that's because he is being trained to be that way. Dogs should be allowed to be dogs, and they need company. They're social animals. You should probably report the owners, except they're your neighbors, so what can you do?

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~You and me, both.

Leslie,
~~I'm not sure if it's considered cruelty here if he's well fed. I suppose I could check into it.

Josie,
~~It's actually the first time I have seen him in the two or three years since they got him. Unfortunately, I have heard him A LOT. They are nearly always home and when they first said they were getting a dog, they said it was an indoor dog. So why do I hear him barking at 3:00 a.m.? And the computer is in the corner by their backyard. Fortunately we can't hear him from the bedroom which is on the other end of the house. Now THAT would be far more annoying.

Russell said...

Well, it's Wednesday again...!! I will be thinking of you and your friend, Mr. Bite's-a-lot!! I agree you should just call those folks every week!

Your neighbor's dog looks like a sheltie and, yes, they are known for yapping a lot!! They are an extremely smart dog - you see them a lot in dog shows - and they are beautiful. But they bark a lot!

I was interested in all the grass that is growing now where you live! Maybe it is like that all year long, I don't know. Up here in Iowa, it will be about a month yet before the grass begins to grow again.

This morning (5:00 Wed morning) it is about 25 degrees here! Oh well. One of these days spring will come here...

Take care and be careful with that dog!

Big Brother said...

Geewits you have to learn some French Canadian swear words so that you can use them without losing your southern belle delicacy... Try maudit (damn), tabarnac (tabernacle, don't ask, we were once very devote RC here so every swear word is a church word, No scatological vocabulary for us.) estie (deformation of hostie or host, or calisse (chalice). ;o)

geewits said...

Russell,
~~Today I called and curtly asked, "Is your dog contained?" Then I felt bad because a little old lady that seemed very sweet came to the door and I had never seen her before, but I expect she is one of the recipients.

The grass has been growing in patches for a about a month and many neighbors have already mowed once. It was 81 degrees here today.

Big Brother,
~~I would never take a chance with foreign swear words after my Dad's mistake in 1972. He was in Dominican Republic and had picked up a local swear word from his fellow poker pals - they used it when they had a bad hand. He though it was something like "damn!" One night he was having dinner with his co-workers and their wives and he dropped his fork on the floor and used the word and everyone froze and the women were aghast. You can probably guess what the word means. Yes THAT.

Carole said...

I hope poor little George survives when it gets to be 800 degrees here this summer! Hopefully they are just leaving him temporarily...perhaps while relocating or something. The way some people treat their pets and animals just amazes me! Ack!