Monday, March 17, 2008

Irish Basketball

I love St. Patrick's Day. Well, it's all about being rowdy and drinking beer, right? I'm not going to put green food coloring in my beer, but I'll probably pin one of my little leprechaun troll pins on my t-shirt today. My first two married names were very Irish and I really loved the second one. The first one is my daughter's last name and she even has red hair, so she's very Irish. Her Irish is straight from her father mostly, but I have some too. I believe it's from my Dad's mother's side of the family. And even my Dad's Dad's sisters were redheads, so there may be some over there, too.

Saturday night we had dinner out with our neighbors. I told you guys a while back about the neighbor that helped me out when my washing machine died. Well since then we've talked on the phone, e-mailed and spent a little more time together. I decided it was time for the husbands to meet. We went to Texas Roadhouse which I've probably mentioned before. I love their green beans and will be having leftover ribs and green beans for lunch today. Green beans seem right for St. Patrick's Day.

Anyway, I was a little nervous, because, well, because I'm always nervous. I got that from my Granny. We're just a bunch of nervous people in the geewits family. But as usual, everything went well and we had a GREAT time. It's so fun to meet people that you have so much in common with. I'm hoping we will spend more time with the Fun Neighbors. (Scrabble?)

Saturday wasn't all good, though. Duke lost the semi-final round of the ACC tournament, but I didn't cry. We've had such a good season, I knew we were guaranteed a spot in the NCAA tournament. I know most of you don't follow college basketball or March Madness, but I'll be living it and breathing it for the next couple of weeks. Duke got a number 2 seed in the west. I also play in a brackets game for money. I'll be studying the newspaper and the internet today to make my picks. It's always tough because I want to win the money, but I'm a loyal fan. And it's tough to pick the game Duke might lose, but I really can't see them winning the whole thing this year. Or can they? I have a few days to make my picks. I would love for Duke to win it again, but.....

Anyway, have a great St. Patrick's day and have a beer and make a toast to me, your favorite beer drinker! (Not you, Ian.)

11 comments:

Cycling Goddess said...

Ohhhh I'm first today! yay! Happy St. Patric's Day to you too! I'm glad you got to know your neighbours a bit better. It's so much more fun when you don't have to go too far isn't it? And I love ribs and green beans, especially leftovers! Good luck with the bet :)

Jazz said...

Here's to my favourite beer drinker. Bottoms up darling.

Tai said...

mmmmm, beer that ISN'T green!

Slainte!

Ian Lidster said...

I can certainly toast you, my dear, and wish you an Erin go Bragh, and the true toast should be with draft Guinness of course.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

geewits said...

Sylvie,
~~Thanks and I'm now raising my beer to your "rite of passage!"

Jazz,
~~Bottoms up back at ya!

Tai,
~~Slainte Mhath to you!

Ian,
~~I love beer, but I'm too wimpy for Guinness.

Servidores,
~~Thank you.

Leslie: said...

Happy St. Paddy's Day, and DO put a bit of green in the beer. It'd be fun - I would if I drank beer but those rowdy uni days of the olden days put a permanent damper on the beer. Can't even stand the smell now! :(

Glad to hear you had a good time with the neighbors and the hubbies hit it off.

Jo said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!!

And I'm glad to hear you're nervous, because I am very nervous about meeting you, so if we're both nervous, that sort of works out. Right? Either that, or we will drink lots of beer and not be nervous anymore. *heh*

Carole said...

And a Happy St. Patrick's Day to you too! I also love this holiday! Always have. And I have a funny little leprechaun pin that I wear. haha And last year on St. Patrick's Day, my dad told me for the first time ever that he and my mom had their first date on St. Patrick's Day. And yeah, we did have a good time Saturday night. Looking forward to a game night soon!

Big Brother said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day. Top o' the day to you.... please don't drink green beer *shudder*... Guinness is the beer of choice in Ireland. I love Guinness. I even went to Ireland to drink it where they make it.

geewits said...

Leslie,
~~If you hate the smell of beer, try not to stand too close to me.

Josie,
~~You always have a good plan! Actually after spending 2 hours at the airport and 4 or 5 hours on the plane, I will be so happy to see you I will probably forget to be nervous!

Carole,
~~I forgot to wear my goofy troll leprchaun pin, but I did put on a greaan T-shirt. That's cool that your parents firsat dated on SPD! I look forward to hanging out with you guys again. And thanks for making the fat cat tail. That was hilarious!

Big Brother,
~~As much as I love beer, I am actually a beer wimp. I basically like light domestic beer although I do have a Dos Equis every once in a while. I don't even like the way Guinness smells!