Friday, March 21, 2008

My Favorite Photo

I was going to do a post tonight about my return visit on Wednesday to the house of the stupid dog that bit my foot last Wednesday, but I was talking to my neighbor today and I mentioned this Hubble Ultra Deep Field photo so I decided to post about that instead.

I think this is by far my favorite photo that I've ever seen. I like it better than any famous photo and better even than any of my own personal photos. I believe it is the only picture that I have spent so long looking at. I usually look at it for about 20 or 30 minutes each time I look at it. To get a better understanding of what you are looking at go here. To think that I am able to see a tiny pinpoint in space that existed 13 billion years ago thrills me to no end. It makes me feel alive and happy and wondrous and oh, so many other good ways. I hope you get the same thrill that I do and I'll talk about the stupid dog some other time.

9 comments:

Scarlet said...

Very cool! I checked out the link, the Astronomy Pic of the Day, and had no idea such a site existed. Thanks for sharing. It's much better to look at than a rabid dog...or whatever he is. Be careful over at that house!!

Have a Fabulous Friday!

ticknart said...

I look at a picture like that and wonder what all of it would look like if we could see it as it really exists now.

It's very beautiful.

Carole said...

When I see this, I feel like I am traveling through space and time; and I am...with my own two eyes! Awesome!

Jo said...

Geewits, that's really quite amazing. The whole concept of the universe, and space and time, really amazes me. I remember having long conversations about it with my brothers when I was a little girl. And the other day Freddie asked me, "What is outside the universe?" The whole thing is mind-boggling, isn't it? To see a picture like this is just incredible.

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~APOD is the one site I have to visit every day. You didn't know it existed? The link has been there on my sidebar since the dawn of time.

Ticknart,
~~Maybe we are seeing some of it?

Carole,
~~I knew you would like that.

Josie,
~~Outside the universe? What a great question!

Russell said...

Most interesting... I you think about the universe - where it begins and ends (if it has such things) or the possibility of life away from our little sphere among many, well, it is mind boggling, isn't it?

However, I confess, I want to hear about the stupid dog!! I am wondering if he is, uh, still alive after your visit on Wednesday!!

geewits said...

Russell,
~~I'll get around to it. The dog I mean. I'm mad at you! I had Drake to go two games and then when I thought they were losing today they made a big comeback, went to overtime and then lost anyway! Aargh. I am dropping fast in my brackets. I studied Drake after you mentioned them and thought they had a good chance for at least two games. I even had them to beat UCONN!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Quite the astronomer, I see. That is a very nice photo. I enjoy casual star gazing but am more into nature observations. My older brother was into astronomy in a big way until raising a family began to eat into his nights. Sorry about the dog bite.

geewits said...

LGS,
~~I LOVE astronomy. I have a 5 inch telescope but because of the way my yard is situated I seldom get to use it. Stuff has to be pretty much overhead. Anything in the low west is on the other side of the hill. Anyhting in the low east is killed by the lights of the airport and Dallas. Oh well.