Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Turn to Rant


Two weeks ago, a little dog, like the one in the picture, ran out of a house I've been to many times and went berserk and sort of nipped at me. I was pretty upset because it's taken me many years to be relaxed around dogs because I was always afraid of them because of childhood traumas and a lot of Meals on Wheels clients have dogs. I told My Sweetie and maybe Lo about it and I meant to call the MOW office but I forgot. And then last week nothing happened.
~
The day started out bad enough. A woman in Dallas tossed her two sons off of an overpass onto a highway and then jumped. That's not the first news you want to hear in the morning. Your brain starts swirling with all the: Why would anyone do that? How could you do that to your children? What was she thinking? How can a mother ever cause harm to her kids? They all survived as of the last news I heard, but they are all in the hospital. And what about those poor people driving on the highway and see a kid come tumbling down? Sheeeesh. People are so freaking weird.
~
After the news I was watching "The View" and getting a kick out of the womens' take on Governor Whorehound and then I was all excited because they were introducing my idol: Carol Burnett. Just as they introduced her, the network cut away to a special report and it was Governor Whorehound announcing his resignation. If I lived in New York, that would be important, but for crying out loud it was Carol Burnett!
~
This house with the bad dog has a sign on the door: Do not ring bell. Baby sleeping. Well last week I was distracted because my daughter was with me and I rang the bell and as soon as I did I felt horrible and I apologized like crazy and the woman said, "Oh she's not even here." That made me feel better, but as I was driving over there today I kept repeating in my head, "Don't ring the doorbell, don't ring the doorbell." So I walk up to the door and before I can even knock, the door opens. I said, "I wasn't going to ring the bell." She responds, "I need to take that down, she's in daycare now." and then grabs the sign from the door. I start handing her all the stuff (there are two clients there) and then that same freaking dog runs out and goes berserk and attacks my right foot. I mean he is BITING me. I just sort of froze because it happened so fast. She finally reached down and smacked him and he ran back in the house and she's all "I'm so sorry, he's never done that. We'll lock him up next time." And me, because I'm so moronic when under pressure said, "That's not cool." That's not cool? Hey! 1974 called and they want their hippie back! WTF? That's not cool? Why would I say that? What am I, 14? Johnny Fever?
~
It was 78 today and I knew it was going to be 78 and thought about wearing sandals, but I got lazy and didn't want to clip my toenails so I wore tennis shoes. I kept thinking, "What if I had worn sandals?" When I got to my bar I called MOW to report the incident and the nice lady said, "We haven't gotten complaints from anyone else." I wish I had said, "Well good for them." but what I said was, "Next Wednesday I will call them from my truck in their driveway and they can come out and get the food or tell me the dog is locked up." Urg.
~
There was a TV show in the 80's where a guy found a watch that froze time. He would fix situations. I wish I had that watch. I would go to that bridge in Dallas this morning, grab those children from that deranged mom and hand her that dog. Now THAT is cool.

14 comments:

Jammie J. said...

Truth be told, there are worse things you could have said... like "f**k your stupid little ankle biting nipper..." or something equally as bad. That's not cool is actually pretty cool, if you ask me. But then I'm weird like that.

Speaking of weird, yeah, people are freaking weird. I don't know what they're thinking when they do stupid stuff like throwing your kids off of an overpass. And, of course, they'll probably let her keep her kids and then next year we'll hear something even worse.

Hehe, I like your wrap up. Deranged people should have nippy dogs, not children. :)

geewits said...

Jenanette.
~~I doubt she will see those kids again. Texans are not very favorable towards this type of thing. It's all cowboy justice here. But you are unfortunately right: Next year we will hear something worse.

Russell said...

My goodness! What a day!! Seriously, if the dog broke the skin when he bit you, be sure to get it checked out...! I just did a post about my dog yesterday (Wed) - but I will tell you that as a child my experiences with dogs were not great.

When I was about 3 or 4, a HUGE St. Bernard dog knocked me down in a park once. When you are like 50 pounds and you have a 150 pound dog standing on you it is a bit scary!

THEN the following day we all went back to the same park and that dog did it again! Talk about a bad experience!! Of course the adults thought it was cute and funny - but as a little kid I was traumatized!

I am told little dogs are the most likely to actually bite you...

Carol Burnett - wow! I remember watching her show every Saturday night. It was a ritual. I loved the way she pulled her ear to say "hello" to her mom and the way she took questions from the audience.

Harvey Korman and Tim Conway were the best! Carol Lawrence looked like her sister and the whole group were so good together.

Carol Burnett and Johnny Carson actually got very serious at one point when she sued the National Enquirer for a story (pack of lies) it published about one of her daughters and her. She won the lawsuit and I was delighted!

Okay, I have rambled enough! Take care!

Russell said...

Opps.... I guess "group" is a collective noun if I remember my grammar correctly... So I should have said "the whole group WAS so good together" (is that right??!).

By the way, when someone gets bitten by a dog or something like that happens, there is no right thing to say! You think of those things much later!

For example, you could have said "I hope you have lots of insurance!" or something like that!! Saying "that's not cool" was a good thing to say and you could have said a lot of other things that would have been much less well received!! My guess is that this person really did not care or was oblivious if she allowed her dog to do what it did.

SHE is the one who should have been falling all over you making sure YOU were okay! Some people are dense...

Take care.

ticknart said...

We're all 14, or younger, when we're rattled. It's just the way we're wired.

As for people, news like that woman just reinforces my desire to stay away from them. Too many seem to suck.

Jazz said...

I love this post. I just love love love this post. I mean, seriously, it was Carol Burnett!!!

This is a cool post indeed.

Jo said...

Geewits, what I would do is go back to the bridge and sic the dog on that woman. Only, I would wave a magic wand first and make the dog that is attacking the woman a huge St. Bernard like the one that knocked Russell down. But I would wave the magic wand a second time and give the dog rabies, and sic the dog on that woman.

Then I would take the magic watch and go home and watch the Carol Burnett show.

Leslie: said...

Good post! Dog bites are THE most painful things - so glad you ended up wearing tennis shoes but those needle-like teeth could have sunk right through. I'm glad you're okay, physically, but I think the lady at MOW was a moron if she didn't take down the information and pass it along to the powers that be AND to the lady who owns the dog. They "could" cut her off.

geewits said...

Russell,
~~The dog owner acted like it's my fault. She said, "He's never done that before!" Puh!

Carol sued when they claimed she was drunk in a restaurant. Her parents were alcoholics and she was raised by her grandmother. Her ear tug was for her grandmother. I also watched her show every Saturday night. It was the best part of the week.

Ticknart,
~~That's very insightful. You are always wise.

Jazz,
~~Why thank you! You just love the rants, eh?

Josie,
~~Your plan is good.

Leslie,
~~I don't even know who gets the meals there. I deliver two meals but it seems I've had 3 or 4 different people answer the door. And they are all my age or younger. I did find a tiny red dot on top of my foot and had my husband look at under a loupe but he said it was not a puncture. Maybe a tiny blood blister.

Dave said...

Reading your blog made me feel I was watching the news! I enjoy the news so thanks you. :-)

I am glad that the mother especially survived from the bridge jump... She needs to be thrown over again and again and again! I am also glad that the kids survived but I really hope that they NEVER have to see their monster of a mother again!

Carol Burnett... Yep... I agree... much better to watch her then the governor who doesn't even deserve the time of day let alone time on the news!

Take care! :-)

Tai said...

UGH! Stupid dog. Stupid owner. Did she even apologize to you???

Big Brother said...

Geewits all you have to do with a small dog is drop kick. Like a football field goal. Get your honey to help you practise and next time.... BOOOOOT!!!! The stupid animal will never go after you again.

Scarlet said...

I've had a horrible incident involving a dog, so that story stressed me out. It was NOT cool for that dog to lose it like that and the owner to be so matter-of-fact about it.

By the way, I loved The Carol Burnett Show. The cast had such a blast on that program, and Carol's the best!

PS - Aren't you glad Archuleta made it through the week on American Idol? He's still with us!! Woo-hoo!

geewits said...

Dave,
~~The news of the weird?

Tai,
~~I don't think so, but I was sort of freaked out.

Big Brother,
~~My biggest regret is I didn't break that dog's jaw with my foot.

Scarlet,
~~Yeah, dogs are like people in that they run the gamut from cuddly and lovable to ornery and despicable.

I didn't think David would go home, and I'm glad I was right!