Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Maybe it was the creepy Santa Claus?

If you've been a reader here for a while, you may remember back in April when I was having so much trouble trying to make this ribbon photo board. Well, not that I had trouble making it, but I didn't have enough ribbon on my first attempt and then kept trying to get more ribbon and then had to end up using this sorry pink rick rack:

The reason I am bringing this up, is that some time back I noticed that Lone Grey Squirrel had a neat little gizmo on his blog called "feedjit" and it showed where people were coming from. And by coming from, I thought that meant like cities, states, countries and whatnot and I thought that was pretty interesting (although feedjit actually just shows what city your server is in, not what city you are in). I'd always heard that way more people visit your blog than leave comments, but I thought it was just a rumor. Which is silly because there are 4 or 5 blogs that I read, but never leave comments. I didn't know that the feedjit thing (down on the bottom right) also showed search results, like when someone searches for something and comes to your blog. Well it does show that and no one could be more surprised than I was to discover that the number one search subject that brings folks here is that original ribbon photo board post. I couldn't understand why so many people ended up here from that, so today I googled either "photo ribbon board" or "ribbon photo board" and my post was on the first page! Apparently there is not a lot of info out there about these things, which surprised me because for a while there every HGTV show had someone making one.
~
I know that is the number one searchie thing, but I'm not sure exactly which is number two, but there are three other posts that bring a lot of traffic through search engines. Number two may be my Gardenia post, and people end up here from searching "google images" and that makes me feel terrible because I lifted that photo from the internet. I wish I had given credit to the source. I suppose I should go put a caption on that pic: "I found this lovely photo on the internet."
~
Another one, which really makes me scratch my head, is Christmassy Night Out and the part that is weird is that most of the people, like 98% of the people that are looking at that old post are coming from Germany. What does that mean? I also get a lot of hits on my random skin problems, like the skin tag on my eyelid and my contact dermatitis. And my sketchfu picture from last July. I don't know what any of this means, I just find it interesting. And just in case you came here looking for the ribbon photo board: DON'T FORGET TO DO THE OVER/UNDER WHEN CRISS-CROSSING THE RIBBON. Because I did.

9 comments:

VioletSky said...

Yes, that feedjit thingy can be quite entertaining. I get quite a few visitors searching for 'sick bunnies', and 'skipping naked'. Don't know if they ever come back for more.

Greg C said...

I use the sitefeed thingy on my blog with the same results. I am sometimes amazed at what people are searching for when they find my blog. My number one search is The Notebook. People then email me and ask how to get to the big house.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Wow, Geewits, you should be rightly proud that so many come to learn about your decorated ribbon ph0oto board. It is your handiwork and creativity on show. Regretably most of my visitors come to steal the picture of a dragon which I stole from someone else. Not much originality there!

Carole said...

That is very interesting! About the Christmassy post, every time I'm at Grapevine Mills now, I'll be looking for Germans! Ha! Of course it could be any number of words they search for. Maybe Germans are trying new drinks and are looking for "Colorado Bulldog". I haven't had one of those in years! Anyway, that's pretty cool about the search statistics!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I have to look into the search thingy. I have no idea who or where or how...And it certainly would be interesting to know what searches bring people to ones blog....! It is really interesting what brought people to yours....I remember when you ran out of Ribbon!

Scarlet said...

Maybe this is why I get so many e-mails about Cuban butts and boobs...from that one post I did "Without Boobs There Is No Paradise." Now it's making a little more sense!

Jazz said...

You are the queen of the rick rack photo board. When will you have you HGTV show?

geewits said...

Violetsky,
~~Yeah, I also get a lot of hits on the "Spit Free" post. I don't even want to know what that's about!

Greg,
~~At least those are nice clean hits.

LGS,
~~Yeah, I guess like me with the gardenia.

Carole,
~~A Colorado Bulldog is not an international drink - at least not by that name. I had to describe it to get it in Canada. I forgot what they called it.

Naomi,
~~Just click on my feedjit to get your own! That's how I got mine.

Scarlet,
~~That's funny. You get e-mails about that?

Jazz,
~~If I got my own HGTV show, it would be about fixing things with what's already in your house. Agoraphobia definitely has its plus side - it has made me very creative.

Cycling Goddess said...

Ya know, now that you mention it, I've looked and sure enough, there are people from many countries (mine seems to attract a lot of people from Europe) with topics so old I forgot about it. A recent one was snow, snow, snow and I tought... huh?

I find it interesting to see who visits my blog and it's ok if they don't want to leave comments. I don't blog to be interesting to everyone. And there are blogs I visit that I don't leave comments there either.

Let me know when HGTV hires you, I'll have to get the channel added. Right now, I rely on the boys across the hall to get my fix lol