Friday, August 29, 2008

No Drinking Age

Recently it has been in the news that some groups are pushing to lower the drinking age in the U.S. from 21 to 18. There are two sets of arguments, for it: One by some college association about students going wild in their senior year or something and one by the people that say military people should be able to drink.
~
I have a better idea. I say there should not be a drinking age at all. Now don't get your britches in a bunch, let me finish. I say regardless of age, you can drink once you get a high school diploma. No diploma, no drinking, even when you reach 50 or 75. I would grandfather the law, though. I would have it apply to anyone born after 30 years prior to the year the law is passed. That would give all those 20-somethings some incentive to go get that GED. I imagine the high school drop-out rate would become miniscule. That also covers all military personnel, because you have to have a high school diploma to join the military.
~
Your driver's license or photo I.D. (if you don't drive) would simply be stamped "GRAD." Non-grad drinkers and servers/suppliers to non-grad drinkers would be subject to the same laws that are currently in place for underage drinkers/servers. And what about the geniuses that graduate at 12 or 16? Well, they can legally drink, but since they are still minors, I imagine their parents would have to sign a permission waiver or something. Besides, if they are so smart, I doubt they would be abusing alcohol anyway. And if being able to drink gives kids the incentive to work hard in high school, that's good right? I think so.

Congratulations! Now go have a beer!

9 comments:

Scarlet said...

I LOVE your idea! It makes perfect sense. There are many people over 18 who should not be drinking and do. Not all kids are responsible, but once they graduate, why not?? I totally agree with this and I like the pic at the end. I'm getting psyched for my high school reunion next year...where, needless to say, I'll probably have a drink or two. ;)

Have a great weekend!!

Jazz said...

Brilliant!

ticknart said...

"Besides, if they are so smart, I doubt they would be abusing alcohol anyway."

That's what I thought, until I went to college.

Anonymous said...

Hell, why not? I didn't know there were still places where you had to be 21 to drink. Linking it to a high school diploma really isn't a bad idea. What will you get to do if you graduate college, I wonder?

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~Since we can't actually test everyone's responsibility level, we could at least use this to urge kids to finish high school.

Jazz,
~~Thanks!

Ticknart,
~~Were you one of those wiz kids?

Xup,
~~Yep, it's 21 here. And the answer to your last question is this: afford stuff.

Big Brother said...

As my lil sister says brilliant... the educator in me just gloats..."Get you homework done or no booze for the St-Jean party."

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~Thanks! I wonder why no one thought of this before?

Ian Lidster said...

Not a bad idea. On the other hand, somebody once suggested that nobody under age forty should be legally entitled to drink since people younger than that don't have a lick of common sense.

geewits said...

Ian,
~~Just 40?