Wednesday, August 20, 2008

But It's Still Good

That's a picture of Regina Brett. Here's her mini-biography:
For over 7 years, Regina Brett was a columnist at The Beacon Journal in Akron , Ohio . During that time, she was diagnosed and successfully treated for breast cancer. Regina is now a columnist for The Plain Dealer in Cleveland , Ohio . Her column runs on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.
~To celebrate growing older, she wrote "The 45 lessons life taught me." I really like nearly all of them a lot. Today I will focus on #40: If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back. This really appealed to me. It's one of those things that's so obvious, but maybe we've never heard it put quite that way. I mean, sure, we all grew up with our parents forcing us to clean our plates by telling us about the starving children in (insert country here). And I'm sure we've all known someone with problems we considered way worse than our own, but I really love the way this is worded. And really if we traded your problems with someone else, wouldn't we be giving away our lives? I don't want someone else's life. Sure, I'd like this person's looks, or that person's talents, but I don't want to BE that person. I'm thinking of printing this on a card and tossing it in my purse. I'm forever looking for something in my purse and I'd be sure to see it from time to time. And it would make me relax and calm about whatever I was frantically looking for. It might even make me laugh.
~
Oddly enough, her #42 is Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful. I wonder if that was my inspiration for all of my cleaning, as had I read this list on August 5th. I think that's a great life lesson. I'll be talking about more of her life lessons in later posts and I'll leave you with her #1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.

8 comments:

Jammie J. said...

I'm with you on that one, I admire other people's gifts and talents, but I sure wouldn't want to BE someone else.

I have an inspirational thought posted on my phone at work that appealed to me. It goes something like this: A problem is not solved at the same level which it was created.

For some reason, I like that one, too. :)

Scarlet said...

I love these quotes. It's so true; I wouldn't want to swap my problems with anyone else's. Who better than me to deal with my own issues? I know where I've been and what I've gone through has made me who I am today. Like you, I wouldn't want to lose my past and everything I've learned from it.

Thanks for this post. Reading it was a great way to start my morning!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!! :)

Big Brother said...

A wise lady. :o)

Jazz said...

What BB said. Yep, wise indeed.

Anonymous said...

These are great little wisdoms -- things we all know in our hearts,but like to have confirmed in words once in a while. I'm going to see if I can find the whole book. Thanks.

Carole said...

I wouldn't want you to be anyone else either! Great post Gee!

Cycling Goddess said...

I like lesson #1 :)

I also agree that when you stop and take a break from all this crazyness, we realize just how lucky we are. It's a no brainer really. But we need a reminder every once in a while.

Good post.

geewits said...

Jamiie,
~~That's a good one. One of live by, but have never thought of it in words.

Scarlet,
~~That reminds me of #13. Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

BB & Jazz,
~~Yes she is.

Xup,
~~She has a website. It may be there. I got them from an e-mail from Mom.

Carole,
~~Yeah, even with our funky families, eh?

Urban,
~~Yes, life is good and it's always better than the alternative.