Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Saturday and Friday (in that order)

Saturday I felt like getting up, taking a shower and going out to lunch and running errands. I know that doesn't sound like much to you normal people, but that's a big deal for me. I've been working on that a lot this year. Intellectually, I KNOW my medicine works, but anxiety has a way of playing with you, so my new motto is "just do it." And it has been working for me so far. We went to Ruby Tuesday's because I love their salad bar. After lunch we stopped by Cat's Unlimited so My Sweetie could meet Petey the naked Sphinx Cat. I bought a halter and leash because I've always wanted to try my cats on them to take a little walk outside. Barney just could not deal and kept flopping over, like the leash was some sort of quaalude. Lily, the really weird cat was just fine and walked all over the yard. Cats are weird. Barney is obviously smarter than Lily, yet leashwise, Lily was triumphant. I didn't try Maxie, the inherited cat, because I know he is leash trained already from when my parents were RVing him all over the country.
~
There's a new shopping center just north of our house, and I wanted a new liner for My Sweetie's tub and a shower curtain for my shower. Last time, I accidentally bought a frosted one and I was really mad at myself. I like to look out the windows and see the clock when I shower. I also wanted some new hand towels for my bathroom. While I was perusing the shower section I saw a sweet beach shower curtain for a regular bathtub. (I have a shower stall with separate garden tub.) Well, My Sweetie's bathroom has a regular tub and a beach theme. I know. I did a post on decorating mistakes that I saw on HGTV, and inappropriate themes was one of them. Okay so I live in North Texas and have a beach bathroom and a forest bathroom. If you don't like it, you can P somewhere else. Anyway, I bought the old beach-themed shower curtain from the internet and the beach picture did not look as well as it did in a small pic on the net as you can see here:

I know! You can't even tell it's a beach from that picture. Well this is the one I bought on Saturday. This is obviously the beach and I love it. I just love how $19.99 can change a whole room. You can't really do that in any other room. Maybe a kitchen.
As we were walking between PetSmart (for cat grass) and Bed, Bath and Beyond, it was so hot we stopped in a shoe store that was already going out of business. Which was sad considering how new the shopping center was, but once we got inside, I could see why. It was like they had taken a Chinese store and transplanted it in North Texas. it was all these size 4 and 5 funky disco techno shoes. It took forever to find any real shoes. I did find a pair of navy sandals that claimed to be Italian, but who knows? I really needed a pair of navy shoes. They are not flattering at all but I have Fred Flintstone feet and it's just like chocolate icing is not going to be flattering on cabbage. But they will match my clothes.
~
We stopped into the Chili's there and I fortified myself with several beers because I think all the doctors tell you that when it is 107 and you are sweating a lot you should drink as many beers as possible. Wait, did I say doctors? I meant the voices in my head. But that's okay because voice #6 surely has a doctorate degree. Anyway I went into the grocery store after that to get all the fixings for peel and eat shrimp and homemade cocktail sauce and seriously, if you like boiled shrimp, make your own cocktail sauce. It's only 4 ingredients and better than anything you can get in a bottle: Chili sauce, fresh squeezed lemon juice, horseradish and a splash of worcestershire sauce. Also while I was at the grocery store, I saw and bought the WORLD'S SMALLEST WATERMELON:
I don't know how they grow such tiny watermelons, but it's great for only two people. I guess since I mentioned my minor emergency from Friday in the comments section of my last post I should explain that. What happened was, I was moving a picture frame across the kitchen counter and caught a half-full bottle of tonic water. It slid off the counter and onto the floor and exploded sending several shards of glass into me. My first main concern was how to get out of there, because I was barefoot and sort of in a corner. Fortunately I was next to the kitchen table which had some magazines on it. I planned to set the magazines down as stepping stones. When I picked up my right foot there was blood all over the tile. Also I had stinging feelings in my left ankle. After I got out of the kitchen I made it to the bathroom and was able to rinse all the glass out of my feet and hands (i had small bits in my knuckles, somehow) in the tub, but the bleeding part of my right foot still had glass in it and it was a spot I could not get to. I have all the phone numbers to my neighbors on a small bulletin board, but it was right over the glass, so I just went outside. I knew Carole was out of town, but I was surprised to find that no one else was home either. Finally I noticed some people doing yard work and hobbled up the hill. I was carrying two types of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Hey, I was a Girl Scout Brownie when I was 7:Be Prepared! Anyway they were very nice and her husband got the glass out and it wasn't as big or long as we all thought it was and I hobbled back home. They were very nice people and I'm sure they thought I was weird as hell. How astute they are! Anyway, that's what that was. And this has gotten ridiculously long. So...


12 comments:

VioletSky said...

I have about 4 different shower curtains and yes, I do change them every few months for a completely new look. It's the most fun I have redecorating.

I also used to leash my cat and had the leash tied to a bungee cord attached to a plant hanger so she could wander the veranda and side yard. She hated the collar and I spent more time untangling her from the chair legs or the railing because cats don't have a reverse. She finally read up on Houdini and would escape and lay in wait under the hedge to watch her silly human call and call and search... We eventually moved. But not because of that. It was because my house didn't have a shower to curtain.

Big Brother said...

Geewits, I have to hand it to you, you get into the weirdest situations. I hope that the foot has healed well, by the way what is "cat grass" pot for cats? ;o)

Cycling Goddess said...

I love the shower curtains! I just changed mine back to the big blue flowers I had before. It's so much more interesting when you have instant decoration with these.

Really sorry to hear about your foot. Oh you poor thing. Hope it heals quickly. And thanks for the tip on making your own sauce for shrimps. I'll do that next time. But I doubt my cat would do well with a leash. Although the little bugger was eating up all the attention she got in the elevators... so who knows, maybe I'll try that one day :)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Loved the frosting on cabbage analogy...it will be hovering over my head for days.

Good post.

Jazz said...

How do these things happen to you? My life is never this interesting. If you consider bringing magnifying glasses and tweezers to strangers so they can pluck foreign matter out of your foot interesting. I do.

ticknart said...

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that you didn't buy a human style halter for your cats. The image was funny, though.

Carole said...

Hey Gee! I went into that shoe shop not long after they first opened, and I thought the same thing you did about the shoes. And oddly enough, I usually really like that shoe store's shoes in other stores that I've been to. But I was surprised to see them close so soon. I don't really think shopping will necessarily pick up until after one Christmas season, then I bet all those stores will get busier. But then again...they just closed my favorite garden store right up the road from there...after opening up a dozen other stores all over this area!

But...even though we lost our shoe store, we got a new ice cream shop! Yea! We went for a scoop last night.

I like your shower curtain! It looks real pretty there.

We too just tried one of those little watermelons. Ours was called a Dulcinea (I remembered because she is a character out of Man of LaMancha) watermelon. It was delcious!

Our neighbors are all pretty nice, and I'm glad you found someone home finally to help you. That sounded like an awful accident what with glass ending up even in your knuckles somehow? And as for you thinking the neighbor's maybe thinking your weird; in my humble opinion...if someone seems too normal, now that's weird!! haha And the weirdest among us are by far the most interesting.

Scarlet said...

First of all, the voices in your head make perfect sense to me. There's nothing like a frosty beer on a hot day. Any doctor who doesn't agree with that is a quack!

I love how you're always fixing your home w/ the latest finds and photographing them for our viewing pleasure. I like both curtains...the first one better than the second, actually.

BTW, nice melon! :) It's adorable!

geewits said...

Violetsky,
~~Yeah Lily did that tangle thing at first with a little metal table but she was pretty good after that. She did try to walk between some bushes and the fence, but I kept a tight grip, because I wasn't going to walk between the bushes and the fence. Aren't shower curtains great? I think a lot of people put something up and don't think about it again for years and years.

Big Brother,
~~No, pot for cats is catnip. Cat grass is more like a salad. It's odd how it seems like I get into weird situations because I spend most of my time in my house alone. I guess I'm just prone to weirdness.

Urban Animal,
~~It's funny to at least try your cat on a leash. Barney's flopping was hilarious. My foot is fine, I thought it was going to be a much deeper shard of glass, but it was small and shallow. The great thing about making your own cocktail sauce is you can have as much (or as little) horseradish as you like. I like A LOT.

Gnightgirl,
~~Thanks. I have a million analogies like that. It's the way I explain things.

Jazz,
~~~Pfffft! I say to you. Your life is so big and interesting you just don't notice the little things.

Ticknart,
~~After you said that I tried to find a pic on the internet of a cat in a halter top. I never did, but I did find a cool blog. And I also can picture it in my head!

Carole,
~~Yes, I guess "normal" is odd and sometimes boring. I'm glad you're back!

Scarlet,
~~Hey! Welcome back to the USA! If you saw both shower curtains in person, I don't think you'd like the first one better, but what do I know?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I have one friend who just turbed 90....(OH MY) Who walks her cat on a leash, every day..It is the cutest thing you ever saw...And he loves it. Sge has been doing it since he was a little kitten.

That sounds like a horrid accident with all tha glass all over and so much got into you and onto you...! Hope that is all healing okay.

Very nice Shower Curtain....! It looks like it could be Tropical with those Palms....! I don't have any Shower Curtains because I have a sliding door in one and an enclosed---well, it is more than frosted door that is on hunges, on the other one.

I assume you were referring to "All My Children" and Lee? It's kind of a great job because they don;t use her all the time and she can take other Acting jobs and also still live here....She flys to NY when needed....!

Ian Lidster said...

I love them li'l watermelons. Actually, if we grow watermelons in this climate they only get small, but fully formed just like the one you pictured.

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I used to have a glass hinged door on my stall shower and hated cleaning it and had it removed. It's so much easier to throw a curtain in the washer!

Yes, I meant Lee. I love when she shows up for the big family events on AMC.

Ian,
~~And they're so tasty!