Monday, November 13, 2006

Decorating Mistakes

I'm an HGTV fanatic. Around Halloween they did a show called 25 Biggest Decorating Mistakes. I sat there engrossed, judging myself by their pronouncements. Here's how I did:

#25 - toilet rugs. And by this they meant the cut out ones. I passed. I haven't had one of those in probably 10 years.

#24 - too many photos. Okay. I am a LITTLE bit guilty of this one, so I have been pulling some.

#23 - ignoring the foyer. I call it the entryway and I love mine and it even has a theme. So, Not Guilty.

#22 - undressed cables. Guilty. It's the big TV. In a half-open corner. Yep.

#21 - out-of-place themes. Well, for this one they show a bedroom and what they mean is like a Miami style bedroom in Minnesota or a Southwestern themed house in Vermont. I DO have a beach themed bathroom here in North Texas. Because I can.

#20 - outdated accessories. According to their description I am good. (Old cabinet hardware and stuff like that.)

#19 - lopsided furniture arrangements. This one was funny because I HATE lopsided furniture arrangements. I usually rearrange the furniture in hotel rooms.

#18 - keeping something you hate. Do people really do this?!?

#17 - too formal. Okay that just made me laugh. Well, chuckle anyway.

#16 - uncomfortable dining chairs. Not guilty (probably has something to do with #17)

#15 - lack of traffic pattern. Also not a problem or the cats would run into things during their high-speed chases.

#14 - everything matches. Okay my bedroom was getting close to that so I fixed it a year or so ago.

#13 - following fads. Not guilty. At all.

#12 - furniture that doesn't fit. I think I'm okay here too.

#11 - too many colors or patterns. Aw hell no! I hate that! That would have been my #1!

#10 - floating rugs. After I fell 4 feet to the ground I threw out my floating rug. Okay, it means just sitting in the middle of a room with nothing on it. I don't have one of those.

#9 - improper lighting. Okay my kitchen could use some help here but I don't see how punching holes in the ceiling and doing electrical work falls under the category of DECORATING.

#8 - frames hung too high. This also made me laugh. I have actually harassed people to let me lower their pictures.

#7 - tacky couch covers. I've never used one. Get a new couch.

#6 - pushed back furniture. Not guilty, except in the bedroom, because that would just be weird.

#5 - ignoring windows. GUILTY! GUILTY! GUILTY! I am allergic to dust and curtains are dust farms. It's very easy to vacuum the mini-blinds. But I don't IGNORE my windows. I use them every day.

#4 - fear of color. Not guilty, although I do not like homes that are TOO colorful. Anyway, except for the guest room, most of my stuff is green.

#3 - knickknack overload. Not guilty. I'm just not a knickknacky kinda person.

#2 - too many pillows. Again not guilty. I hate when they show a couch covered with pillows. What, like only Calista Flockhart and Nicole Richie can sit there?

#1 - fake flowers. I had a slight problem with this until they said dried flowers were good, because I have dried eucalyptus. Also I do have two large red silk flowers in my guest room. They are sitting by a black and white photo that I made. It is a nun crypt in New Orleans. I made the photo back and white and then colorized the flowers sitting in front a bright crimson. I think it looks cool. And anyway, I don't think this should have been #1 (#11 should have been #1!!).

What would be your #1 decorating mistake? LOL. I don't mean that YOU do, I mean that OTHERS do, because THEY are the ones who are wrong.

1 comment:

Jo said...

#8 frames hung too high is my pet peeve. It can ruin the look of an otherwise lovely room. My best friend is an interior designer and also a "house doctor". She has an amazing eye.

I think another mistake people make is not having enough lamps. A "dead" corner can be brightened up by a little lamp with a warm light bulb in it. I even have a small table lamp in my kitchen with a wicker shade on it and it looks very cozy.

Josie