Wednesday, November 22, 2006

I Didn't Do My Homework

I didn't really have any preconceived notions about having a blog. I thought it would be fun to have a place to jot down random musings, maybe have an exchange of ideas with like-minded and not so much like-minded peoples. I didn't really put a lot of thought into it. Until I read BuddhaCab's "Mission Statement." Then I felt like the kid in school with no books that forgot the assignment. This is his mission statement:


Buddha Cab Mission Statement
This website is my entry into the interactive web publishing blogging phenomenon. The idea behind this blog is to present my experiences as a New York City cab driver, from my perspective as a yogi and Buddhist. (I have to say I’d been contemplating doing something like this when a passenger last week told me about Melissa P.’s blog “New York Hack.” Upon surfing over there and enjoying reading her posts, I decided to go ahead and set this blog up.)
WordPress recommends being clear on the mission for your blog. So this first post will set out my intentions for this site, at least as I see them now.


What am I going to do with this?
It’s an online journal of my experiences as a cab driver
It’ll journal my reflections on my life and the world as I see it


Who is going to read this?
Family, friends, who knows? Should be interesting to find out.
What kinds of information will I be posting?
Journal entries
Links to Buddhist and Yoga stuff
Links to similar cab blogs


Why am I doing this?
To have an outlet for my writing (being the world’s most blocked writer as of now)
Learn more web stuff (I know a little HTML and CSS, and hopefully I’ll know a little more and maybe some PHP before this is all said and done)
Participate in the web publishing, open-source revolution (why not, it’s pretty cool)


Who am I doing this for?
Myself, of course. Also family, friends, and like-minded people who might enjoy any of this.


How often am I going to be posting and adding information?
The plan is to post a couple of times a week


I once wrote a mission statement for an actual company. I had fun with it because I like to play with words. (I just checked their website and I'm pretty sure it's still what I wrote word-for-word.) The concept of having to have a mission statement for your blog seems a lot like work to me. I didn't come here to work. That's why I have a basic template. I'm actually a graphic artist. I know you are surprised! I think if I started personalizing my site with my own work I would end up spending HOURS AND HOURS on it. I decided right away not to do that. I may someday though, who knows?

So I was looking at the list of the questions BuddhaCab had and I figured my answers would go like this:

What am I going to do with this? I don't know


Who is going to read this? I don't know


What kinds of information will I be posting? I don't know


Why am I doing this? I don't know


Who am I doing this for? I don't know



How often am I going to be posting and adding information? I don't know


Now I know how Rudy Boesch from "Survivor 2" felt in that one challenge: he answered "I don't know" for every single question! We laughed and laughed. I love to laugh. And basically that's my goal in life, so I guess maybe that's my real "mission."

3 comments:

Julie said...

Seems pretty reasonable to me. I had to write a mission statement for a performing arts management class and I hated it. I've decided to avoid mission statments whenever possible ever since.

Jo said...

I loved your answers. Brief and to the point.

Some of the blogs out there are very, very serious, some are fun, some are sort of sad, mine is sort of ...boring. But I think the point is just to have some fun. And I think the ones that have too many graphics, and gewgaws, etc., on them are too difficult to read. I think simple looks cleaner.

Yours is fun.

Cheers,
Josie

geewits said...

josie, are you running for office?