Saturday, November 04, 2006

No Gaydar

I was pretty surprised to read today that Neil Patrick Harris is gay. When I was young I had absolutely no Gaydar. I remember once, when I was back home, asking about various people. I said "How about B.B.?" My friends said, "You didn't know? He died of aids several years ago in San Francisco." I said, "Was he gay?" and they all laughed at me. In junior high school I had such a crush on this guy and he would not give me the time of day. Of course, I just thought I wasn't cute enough for him. The only guy I ever thought was gay in high school was at our 20 year reunion and I'm pretty sure I was right on that one. I had another instance when I was about 21 of relentlessly pursuing a guy and still didn't realize until years later that he was gay. It's funny how when you think back on things everything is so obvious. So for some reason, in my mid twenties, I guess I was trying to make up for all the ones I had missed and then thought EVERYONE was gay. When I first met my second husband, I thought HE was gay. Ironically, after all these years I'm pretty sure I was right. My Mom always thought he was and my daughter thinks he is. He DOES fit the profile of someone that would NEVER act on it. He'll probably wait until his parents die to come out. I think that's sad.

One person that I did know was gay for years and years before he came out was Richard Chamberlain. That was so obvious to me. I'm not sure how he escaped the media attention. Or maybe no one cared. My favorite last hold out is Jodie Foster. I adore her. Several years ago I made my own dishwasher clean/dirty magnet using one of those magnetic business card things. One half is Jodie Foster and the other half is Pamela Anderson. We just turn it heads up to show the status of the dishes.

I've never understood the vitriolic hatred that exists for gay people. I've read the old testament part about men not laying (lying?) together, but in the same section it also says not to eat pork and not to have sex with someone outside of marriage. I find it hard to believe that all of the people who hate gays also don't eat pork and never had sex outside of marriage. And even if they did, what about the "judge not..." part of the bible? (Am I supposed to capitalize bible?) Years ago when Dolly Parton said, "I think gay people should be able to get married. Why can't they have to suffer like the rest of us?" I laughed my ass off. You'd think with the divorce rate being what it is, lawyers would have a PAC for gay marriage. More money for them.

Speaking of gay people, I was watching "Ellen" today and it was the first time I have ever seen her starstruck/flustered over a guest. It was Sandra Bullock. If I were Portia De Rossi, I would have been a little bit jealous. It was cute though.

Well there's no point to this post whatsoever, except maybe to say that in my years of gaydar/no gaydar I guess after Doogie Howser, I'm back to NO gaydar.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Hi, Geewits, thanks for visiting my little blog. I'm glad I decided to continue. I was surprised at how many people said they would miss me.

Doogie is gay? I never would have guessed that. But you're right - what does it matter? People have always loved having something to gossip about.

People who "thump" the Bible usually are the least Christian of all. They give Christianity a bad name. Jesus was silent on homosexuality. I don't think he cared if someone "played for the other team". I think he was more concerned about what was in a person's heart and how they treat other people.

Cheers,
Josie