Friday, August 01, 2008

Spit Free

I remember in the 70's there was a lot of talk about acid rain. You don't hear much about it anymore, but after Wednesday morning, I'm starting to wonder. See, I park under a crape-myrtle tree and crape-myrtle's spit. I just glanced at the wikipedia entry and it did not mention the spitting, but they do. My doctor's office actually has a crape-myrtle lined sidewalk leading to the door and I hate it because they are spitting all over you. Well they are spitting some serious stuff because it gets all over my windshield.


And you can't get it off. Well unless you have tried everything and figured out what works. Last year, it got really bad and was starting to bother me in the middle of my Meals-on-wheels route. My windshield washer fluid had no effect whatsoever, so I asked one of my clients if she had any rubbing alcohol. I knew that would take it off, and being an old person she had the alcohol, but it did nothing. I was starting to get desperate and when I got home I tried different things and even was afraid that crape-myrtles were spitting out some sort of glass-etching acid or something. But no! Guess what took it right off? Scrub Free.

How weird is that? This stuff is made to clean soap scum in your shower. So I guess crape-myrtle spit is similar chemichaly (is that a word?) to soap scum. That doesn't even make sense. But what do I know? Maybe shampoo is made from crape-myrtle spit. Anyway, getting back to the acid rain thing that I started with (because that's what I was taught in school): Wednesday morning there was a thunderstorm with pouring rain before MOW, and I had it strongly in my head to spray the windshield with Scrub Free because I had gone out on Tuesday and forgot, and it was very annoying. Oh, and I forgot to say that if you drive in the dark with the crape-myrtle spittles all over your windshield, they act as prisms, so when a car is coming towards you, you see trillions of little rainbow circles in front of you. Instead of the important things. Like the ROAD. Oh yeah, back to acid rain. So I go out on Wednesday morning to start putting stuff in my truck (the rain had stopped) and am thinking "DON"T forget the Scrub Free!" and look at my windshield - which had been terrible the day before. AND IT IS PERFECTLY CLEAN.
~
The rain had cleaned the crape-myrtle spit off. I thought rain was just water. Apparently not. Now I want to buy a bunch of rain barrels and bottle and sell it as windshield cleaner. I will call it Texas Rain: particularly effective on crape-myrtle spit.

11 comments:

VioletSky said...

Maybe the secret ingredient in Scrub Free is Texas Rain under a code name like TR-37

Jazz said...

Crape myrtle spit... I love it!!!

It,s maple spit season here, except washer fluid takes care of it.

Big Brother said...

Crape-myrtle spit??? (for a moment there I read a crap-myrtle ;o)
We once had a problem with a birch tree spitting like that, found out though that it was because the leaves were infested with some type of small bug that ate holes in the leaves and then the leaves would leak sap. Good luck with you marketing scheme, can't be worse than some other products out there in the marketplace. :o)

ticknart said...

Acid rain's just not as popular as it once was. It's still their slowly eating away at forests and dropping excess hydrogen ion all over the place.

Global warming in now.

geewits said...

Violet,
~~It's possible. But why is crape-myrtle sap like soap scum?

Jazz,
~~Can you put it on your pancakes?

Big Brother,
~~Did you get rid of the bugs?

Ticknart,
~~Is hydrogen ion the secret cleaning ingredient in rain?

Cycling Goddess said...

OMG they should add this to the list of stuff it takes care of, I can see it in bold letters on the bottle "Remove even the crap-myrtle spittles!" You should write to the makers of such a wonderful product. You'll make millions... just in case the crazy neighbour thinks the fence is on your side.

And yeah, acid rain is not in anymore, global warming is :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe the Scrub-free also protects against the spit?? Like that stuff you can spray on your bathroom mirrors to stop them getting fogged up when you have a shower?

Jammie J. said...

We have carrotwood trees at work and they provide great shade. Except every summer, anyone who happens to park underneath them, or even near them if there were a breeze, would drive away in a car that looked as if it'd spent the day under a sprinkler.

I complained about it last year and was told that the trees sweat and there was nothing that could be done about it, except to severely trim them. Well, that defeats the purpose of the tree in the first place. It was so irritating, I finally just took my car cover to work and covered my car every day, because these trees are everywhere there.

This year my boss got tired of it and kept pursuing it through our landlord who finally admitted that it wasn't the trees, per se, it was the bugs that had infested the trees.

Last weekend they had some special arborist pest control people out, who sprayed the bugs in the trees and, guess what???? No more "sweat" from the trees on our cars. Woot!

geewits said...

Urban,
~~I thought about e-mailing them about my post, but the last time I e-mailed a company, it turned into something ridiculous (see my January 18, 2007 post called "Smells Like...").

XUP,
~~Nope. Because I have to keep using the scrub free. Except that one time with the Texas Rain.

J,
~~This isn't that. It's a crape-myrtle thing and they only do that when there are flowers. They don't spit from the leaves. It comes out of the flowers. I'm glad yours got resolved, though.

Anonymous said...

Durability is another important factor to keep in mind when purchasing a rain barrel. With thin plastic barrels they can chip and crack quiet easily, find a rain barrel that has thick outer walls that can withstand any drops, bumps, and drops in temperature.

Anonymous said...

I just read on another site that its not the tree doing the spitting, its tiny little bugs urinating. Pretty gross, huh? Makes me not want to be by those trees anymore.