Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sheesh

The weirdness continues.

For two or three years our neighbor, the WWII veteran, has popped over in the summer to discuss the retaining wall between our houses. He is uphill, so I guess the wall "retains" his yard, and yet it is part of our view. We are the ones that have to look at it. The timbers were pretty old and pretty much termite eaten, but it was not at the top of our "to-do" list. So every summer I would tell the neighbor, "We need to get estimates in winter. Landscape work is cheaper in winter because they are not so busy." He didn't seem to believe me, but would go away. Until the next summer. Well this summer, he actually sends his landscape dude over here with an estimate for $7500 and says the neighbor will pay $3000. Did you laugh too?
~
Monday morning my doorbell kept ringing and waking me up and irritating the hell out of me. I do not get out of bed to answer the door. If it's someone that knows me they can call and if it's someone that really knows me they can knock on my bedroom window. If my house is on fire whoever is out there can dial 911. In fact, I'm thinking about putting a sign on the wood door that says, "If this door is closed, do not ring the doorbell or I may come out and kill you." When I get up every day I open the wooden door. We have a glass outer door. The wood door stays open until my husband goes to bed. When the wood door is closed, go away.
~
I finally got out of bed around 11:00 because I was too irritated to sleep any longer. When I came in here, I opened the side window blinds like I always do and lo and behold the timbers were gone and there were workmen out there. I walked out front and said, "Hey what's going on?" The one who spoke english said, "We're replacing this retaining wall." I said "And he hired you?" while pointing at the neighbor's house. He said yes and I said, "Well, did you know that wall is on my property?" He didn't say anything and I said, "Well if he's paying for it, whatever." And I came back inside. I called my husband who didn't quite know what to make of it and I called my lawyer to see what he had to say. We finally decided it was a good thing.
~
This morning I came in here in my nightgown and the computer is in a corner with windows on each wall about 10 inches out of the corner. We keep this side one closed at night but never close the one overlooking the backyard. So I'm checking my e-mail and all of a sudden a guy walks by like 3 feet from me, into my backyard. I jumped up and stood to the side of the window and lowered the blinds. So I had to sit in here in the (relative) dark. I kept peeking out watching them crawl through my bamboo bed to get at the timbers back there and was getting all irritated again, but I checked tonight when I got home and the bamboo is fine.
~
Also there was this long phone message from the neighbor about how he decided to go ahead and do it and pay for it himself. That part was good. Also I was worried about the material and if it would clash with the stone on my bamboo bed, but it looks nice and is very similar. It looks like it will be finished by the weekend. We just think it's weird that he did this and we wonder if he knows that wall was on our property. I guess we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I hope he is not expecting any money from us. Oh, and I have to remember when I come in here in the morning not to open any windows.

12 comments:

Scarlet said...

I hope he doesn't expect any form of payment from you in the future (if he learns the wall wasn't on his property after all). I can just see that happening, but maybe it's because I work at a law firm...I'm a bit paranoid about things like this.

BTW, beware of guys peeking in on you in your nightgown! :)

Jazz said...

Whatever you do, do NOT let him know that the wall is on your property. Hopefully he'll never find out.

ticknart said...

Do you have no fences?

I don't think I could comfortably live in a neighborhood without fences.

Carole said...

Wow! That's super! I wish my next door neighbor would do that for us. haha Our wall is probably next on the list for fixing.

I can almost guarantee that particular neighbor knows the fence is on your property, but if he said he would pay for it, then I'd take him at his word. I think he's showing himself to not only be a good neighbor, but a pretty stand up guy!

I'm really glad that this issue was resolved so quickly for you cause I know you've had some stress lately!

VioletSky said...

I'm guessing he knows something about that wall that you don't - like maybe if it isn't fixed he could be sliding onto your bamboo patch and it would cost him even more.

Take it and enjoy the view. Just wear something appropriate while gazing.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you're on one of those reality shows where they don't tell you that you're on a reality show, but they're filming you ALL the time and then they throw weird stuff at you to see what you'll do and to make the program more interesing. That's exactly what I think is going on.

Big Brother said...

How come the wall is on your property. I would have thought it would be on the line between the properties. Anyhow he probably thought that he had more to lose, like his backyard in your backyard. Anyhow it was nice of him to pay for it all... You can actually do yard work in winter, at a reduced price...here it's summer or never. Hard to do yard work under 4 meters of snow. ;o)

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~That's my least favorite part, the "peeking." I always open all my blinds when I get up but they are working right there. They even sit their drinks and cell phones on my windowsills, so I have to sit in there in the dark.

Jazz,
~~I'm not going to tell him.

Ticknart,
~~Just the backyards are fenced.

Carole,
~~I think it's all cool. We finally talked to him today.

Violetsky,
~~Yes, we talked to him and he was afraid of future foundation problems, but I really think he is freaked out by termites.

Xup,
~~That would be nice, but Tuesday's event that I can't talk about, could not have been staged.

Big Brother,
Yes, you'd think the wall would be right on the line or even in his yard because he has less yard between the wall and his house. My husband claims he looked it up, but I didn't ask where or how. And yes you can dig in the ground here year round. It's actually better to dig in the winter because it's not 104 degrees. I feel really sorry for those guys out there.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, as you said...better not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I think it is great that he went ahead and did this and is paying for it all, himself!
It is hard to have work people around your house all the time. They have been working on the house right next door to me for about 8 months...The noise alone is a terrible drag...Luckily, no one can see into any windows...But there are no parking spaces for anyone coming to visit because of all the trucks and cars that belong to the Workmen...
Hopefully that wall of yours will be done quickly...!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~Same thing here with all the trucks. I really miss having all the blinds open but we'd almost be right next to each other. I could hear them talking right outside my window today and then I sneezed and wondered if they could hear it!

Jammie J. said...

the part that's bizarre to me is that your neighbor didn't tell you BEFORE the work started. so that, ohhhh, i don't know, you could shut your blinds or be prepared that you might have people walking around in your backyard? you know, something like that. but, as you said, since he's paying for it, whatever...

geewits said...

J,
~~Yes, yes and yes.