Friday, July 18, 2008

I Saw the Sphinx!

Barney had pretty much torn right through his scratch post. I just checked my old posts and I had bought that thing in September 2006 for Rufus. Rufus was not so good with the scratch post but Barney has been wonderful. It's the only thing he uses. We've only had Barney about a year but he had torn the carpet out to the core of the post so it was time for a new one. Every Wednesday, after my Meals on Wheels day out, I pass this little privately owned store called Cats Unlimited. I decided to check it out for a new scratch post. Well, I drove up and this fellow was looking at me through the glass. It kinda freaked me out. His name is Petey. Here I am 47 years old and I had never seen one of these Sphinx cats in person. I mean it wasn't on my "Things to do before I die" list or anything, but it was odd to realize I had never seen one. Petey looks naked but he is not. He has a very fine, very short coat and feels sort of like velour. He was very friendly and playful, but man is he weird looking or what?

8 comments:

Jammie J. said...

I don't think I'd like to go through life looking like that. That's pretty cool that you got to see Petey and, I guess, pet him, too, though?

Did Cats Unlimited have a lot of cool cat stuff in there?

Jazz said...

I've always wanted to see and pet a Sphinx! I'd quite like to have one (no cat hair to vacuum), but I don't it would appreciate Montreal winters.

Scarlet said...

I had only read about these cats and seen their photos in pics on the internet. Come to think of it, that's still the case, but YOU actually got to see one up close.

He's not pretty to look at, but I suppose you could get used to him if he's lovable...and if you have allergies, he's the ideal pet! Thanks for sharing the photo; it's great!

ticknart said...

I like their HUGE ears. I wish I could pet one.

Anonymous said...

OOOhhh, I've always wanted one of these. That would be the most bloggable cat EVER!

Carole said...

He sure has piercing eyes. Do you think he "knows" he's a real strange fellow? For some reason, I can almost imagine him with a little top hat, cane and coat singing some vaudeville type song. You got a great picture of him by the way! :)

geewits said...

J,
~~I was in a hurry and just wanted a scratch post and grass, but the store was pretty good. It was funny that the lady always did cat shows but didn't have a cat. Now she has two store cats and one home cat. Oh and I forgot about the cat grass until I was typing this and ran to check and grew another bowl of mold. I've got to stop doing that.

Jazz,
~~Good for you for thinking about the weather. It makes me furious to see a giant furry sheep dog in Texas.

Scarlet,
~~He was reaaly really sweet and cute. he played with a toy like a regular cat, but it still looked odd. They are really cool to touch. You should go to a cat show.

Ticknart,
~~Check out a cat show sometime. It really doesn't feel like anything else.

xup,
~~Yes, I imagine it would be a photo bloggers dream.

Carole,
~~That's the funniest thing ever! I suppose you would want to dress him up anyway just because he looks naked. I imagine they are perfect for Texas. And thanks, I took about 3 pictures of him but he was moving like crazy. I'm glad I got a good one.

Anonymous said...

That stomach looks like mine.