Friday, August 08, 2008

I Have Questions

I see this sign every time I go to the convenience store near my house. What the heck does it mean? Does it mean you can drop off unwanted babies there? Does it mean no one will come up behind you and grab your chest? I guess I could ask the employees in the store, but I bet they don't know either.

Why do I get so much joy from the grocery store self check-out? I really hate going to the grocery store but I love the self check-out. I always feel like a happy little kid playing with toys. You might think it's just the fact that I'm happy that I am finished shopping, but that's not it. I never feel that way with a cashier. I love how the little beep happens when I pass something over the glass scanner thing. I always wish I had more things to scan. I have no idea why it makes me so joyful.
~
Where did this rogue celosia come from and why is it and the plant it is robbing doing so well? This pot is new from last year and has only previously housed cherry tomatoes. This year I planted that shrubby viney thing with the white flowers (I don't know what it is) and this giant rogue celosia showed up one day. I've grown celosia before and it has NEVER looked like that.

You'd think that since this random plant showed up and is growing like gangbusters, the original plant would be doing poorly, but this pot is the best of all of them for lushness. What the heck?
~
Why is it that after a week of 105° to 108° that 98° feels pleasant? That doesn't make any sense to me. 98° is still 98°! Shouldn't it still feel hot?
~
I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, but those are all of my questions for today. I hope.

11 comments:

Scarlet said...

I've never been through the self check-out, but you sure make me want to try it. I go to a market where the cashiers know everyone by name (unless it's a new cashier) and it's nice to chat w/ them in line. I like the personal service, too, but I can see how self check-out would make you feel like a kid playing "market." If only we could pay with Monopoly money...that'd be REALLY fun! :)

Beautiful plant, btw. The sign is freaky. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT?? Is there one that says "Unsafe Place?" Hmmm.

Jazz said...

Seeing as I don't really do the grocery shopping, I don't know much about self checkouts.

Safe for what? That is the most bizarre sign ever. I suppos the idea is that if kis see that sign they can go there and... hell, I dunno.

However, after week of 108°, ten degrees less is bound to feel cool. Don't ask questions, just sit there and be cool. You'd think it's frigid here - pretty much in the high 60s low 70s today. I want TEXAS!!!!!

Cycling Goddess said...

First impression when I saw the sign was "come get a hug" and I'm like huh? lol That plant is wicked! love it!

I also love the self serve checkout at the grocery store. Much easier to do it yourself, except of course, when the system goes wacko or when it doesn't give you the correct change (as I've had that happen to me a few times, keep an eye on that).

10 degrees makes a difference doesn't it? wow, 108, that's just too hot! Love our weather here, no idea how hot it is these days but I'm sure we're cooler than you guys :)

Big Brother said...

I think I can answer your question for you about the sign. I seem to remember that it means there is safe haven there for kids. For example let's say a kid is being followed by a strange person with designs on his/her little body, he/she can take refuge there and they'll call the police. Hope that answers he question. ;o)

Ruth W. said...

Howdy, I have no idea what that sign means, never seen one so can't answer that question. I do love the self check-out and use it wherever I go, and living in MN, 108 sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

The sign means it's a safe zone because of the CCTV camera overhead (look up) watching all the crazies who might want to grab you from behind and have their evil way with you

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~A market where the cashiers know everyone by name? I thought you lived in a big city. The only people that know my name around here are bartenders.

Jazz,
~~60's and 70's sounds so good right now. Today was ultra hot and miserable again. Blech.

Urban,
~~I've never checked my change. Maybe I'll do that next time.

Big Brother,
~~But how do the kids know what the sign means if the rest of us didn't?

Hi Ruth,
~~108° sounds wonderful? Wonderful like, "Hey honey let's take our kids on a cross-country trip?"

Xup,
~~Well, the camera seems to be pointed at the dumpster.

Carole said...

I saw a tv special about the "safe place" signs at least a couple of years ago. It is a place that kids can go if they are in danger and need a "safe place". The people working there will call the police or a counselor, etc. to get them the help they need.

I'm curious...did you plant that Celosia in the same soil as the cherry tomatoes? It is beautiful!

It is funny when the weather man/woman says how North Texas is having a cold front move through, and it knocks the temperature from 104 down to 98! haha

Big Brother said...

Geewits, you should know that kids are much more savvy than us older people. ;o)

geewits said...

Carole,
~~Did you even read this? I did not "plant" the celosia. It just showed up after I planted the white-flowered shrubby thing. And yes, it was in the pot from last year with the tomatoes that all the creatures ate. Today My Sweetie said, "It is supposed to be only 92° tomorrow." hee hee. Only?

Big Brother,
~~Most of them.

Carole said...

Oh yes...I knew that you didn't actually plant the Celosis. I was just thinking about crop rotation when I asked if it was in the same soil as the old tomato plant, and misspoke about "planting" the Celosia. Some plants can leave the soil better for the next plant. Whatever the case, that's one healthy Celosia!

About the temperature...I know! I'm so excited; low 90's and the possibility of rain! Yea!