Friday, February 01, 2008

The MOW Mix-Up (and sore thumbs)

the old faucet

Wednesday morning I head over to the church to pick up my food for Meals on Wheels and there is no route sheet. One man is still there and I say out loud, "I have no route sheet." He says, "I was wondering why you were here, because there's no food left." So I called MOW and she had no idea what was going on. She said, "I guess the subs I called for Thursday came on the wrong day." I think of another option: That my route was somehow lost at the MOW office. I decided since I was all the way over there, I would check on Myriam to see if she needed anything and wait with her to see if any food showed up..
~
She did need some help. Her fence latch was not catching and it had been banging in the crazy winds and she had set a chair against it and was terrified someone would steal her chair. She gave me a key to the padlock and man was that thing hard to open. Then I had to use the lock as a hammer to get the latch to close and was finally able to put the lock back on. I feel sorry for whoever has to open that thing. I hope it won't be me. Then she wanted me to look at one of her upstairs faucets. It was the one I had not been able to fix the hot water leak on last year and had just turned off the hot water valve since she has two bathrooms up there. Well, now the cold water was leaking, so I told her I would come back on Thursday with my tools and replace the whole faucet.
~
Finally a car pulled up and an old couple got out and walked to their trunk. I walked out and said, "Are you with MOW?" She said, "Yes.?" I said, "I was just wondering how you guys happened to get this route today. This is my route." She said "Dee called us." Hmmm. I asker her if maybe she was supposed to come on Thursday and she told me they ONLY do Wednesdays. Hmmm. Dee was on the phone with Myriam, I got on and told her and she would NOT admit that it was her mistake. Now she claims the Thursday guy said "Wednesday." Anyhoo, I said, "Well I guess that means you need someone for Thursday?" Since I had to go back anyway to do the faucet, I may as well pick up the route. Oh and the substitute lady? She was all whiny and said, right in front of Myriam, "I could have gone to a retirement party instead of this." How freaking rude was that? THEN as we walked out, she turned to me and in an incredulous voice, asked, "Are you going to all of their houses?" Like she thought I was crazy. But now I'm thinking she meant to have me take the rest of the stuff so she could try to make her party.
~
When I got up Thursday morning, I called in just to be sure and Dee said everything was right now. I did the route and I'm sure some of the people went around all day thinking it was Wednesday. Then I wasted 25 minutes trying to find a place to eat lunch in the area. Yes, that defeats the whole purpose! I finally found a very mediocre Mexican restaurant. At least they had beer! I always want a Dos Equiis with Mexican food. I made it back to Myriam's just after two and had very little trouble getting the old faucet out - I knew from last year what to expect and had all the correct tools this time. Then I ran to the local hardware store and got a faucet and connectors. The plumbing guy they sent to help was about 12 and I was sure he had no idea what he was talking about, because those old houses over there need a special connector end, but he gave me the right stuff. I finished everything just after 4:00, but my thumbs were KILLING me. Here is some plumbing advice: If you have tendonitis in both thumbs, do not replace a faucet in a tiny bathroom cabinet. Your thumbs will hurt like hell and you will have a hard time holding your beer that night.

15 comments:

Ian Lidster said...

Since you already know about the award, I don't really need to tell you, but will anyway, because it's thoroughly deserved. Also, I should have heaped some redhead accolades on you, too.

geewits said...

Ian,
~~Thanks! It's weird to be heaped with actual writers. I'm just a blogger. My 10th grade research paper was very well done, though.
:)

Big Brother said...

Boy geewits is there something you don't do? Super woman, that's who you are. That was very kind of you to check up on her and then repair her faucet. Your karma just went way up. ;o)

Jo said...

Geewits, sometimes I get exhausted just reading about your day. Phew...!

No wonder you like to drink a lot of beer. I would too. :-)

Tai said...

You should get Mr. Geewits to hold your beer for you, after all that good work you did today!

Big Brother said...

Hey you also get the award from me... see how generous we Canadians are.

Jammie J. said...

You're such a nice person.
I replaced one faucet in my life, then made Tony do the next one. hehe.

I can't believe that substitute was so rude like that. Sheez. I'll bet you're right, she wanted you to do the whole route for her.

I totally laughed when you wtote that some people probably went around thinking Thursday was Wednesday. :P

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~I don't do windows!

Josie,
~~Those are just my busy days. I don't post about sitting on the couch all day and drinking beer.

Tai,
~~It's hard to drink a beer when someone else is holding it. How do I know that?

J,
~~I've walked into a bar before after a dentist appointment and the bartender will kinda snap their head around and say, "Is it Wednesday?!?"

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am so Amazed and Impressed that you know how to change a faucet! Abd how wonderful that you do, and could help Myriam out like that...!I bet she is deeply deeply grateful! I know I would be!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~That's my 6th faucet in a year! It's like I have a faucet fetish. I do not want to change another one. Yes, she is very grateful. She gives me nice hugs and keeps saying, "Now I'm afraid to tell you anything because you are too good to me!" in her lovely Cuban accent. I have a great empathy for all of my MOW people and love to help them.

Cycling Goddess said...

Remind me when you come to Toronto to change my faucets :) They're the ugliest thing there is and need changing but I won't touch that for all the wine in the world LOL Well done you!

I also wanted to do Meals on Wheels years ago but can't now, no car anymore. I admire people who make the time to do it. Truly a wonderful thing to do, unlike that woman who missed out a party for that. So rude to you and to all the beneficiaries of the MOW.

Beer is the only drink with Mexican beer, at least for me :)

geewits said...

Downtowner,
~~I'm going to Toronto?

Cycling Goddess said...

LOL who knows.... stranger things can happen in one's life :)

BBC said...

What is a route sheet?

Food? Shoot, there is more food around here than I know what to do with so I end up giving some of it away. I don't even know where it all comes from, maybe it breeds in the night?

Beer? Ah, that I understand, but it doesn't breed, I'm always returning to the store for another 30 pack.

First visit to your blog, happy trails, try to not go to crazy. Crazy okay but insane bad.

geewits said...

bbc,
~~The route sheet is the printout of the people and addresses you will be delivering to that day. It tells you which meals and beverages they will be having.

What beer do you like?