Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Trill Is Gone

I had an annoying hum in my left ear for over a week. The best way to describe it is the sound of a hotel ice machine through the wall. At first I thought it was coming from our attic fan which is temperature controlled and so has been running non-stop in this heat. But then I noticed I had it away from the house. On Friday, as I was eating lunch, it was really annoying. I wanted to call my doctor right then and there but the restaurant noise was too loud. So I went to the restroom to use my phone. But just as I pulled my phone out of my pocket a bunch of people came in, so I decided to wait until I got to my truck. By the time I got to my truck, I had forgotten or decided to wait until Monday to call.
Sunday night my phone rang and my phone had an annoying hum in it. I thought it was my friend's phone and didn'y say anything. Later, when Carole called, the hum was still there so I knew it was my phone. Carole heard it too. Then after we had been talking for a while, the hum left. I couldn't tell if my ear had stopped humming or the phone had stopped humming, but Carole said it was the phone. And then Monday morning I woke up and hum in my ear had left too. As horrible as it was, I'm glad I got to experience it because it gave me some insight into tinnitus which my poor Sweetie has suffered from his entire life. Poor fella.


Jazz said...

It's so annoying when that happens. I can't imagine living with that full time.

Anonymous said...

Glad that it was only temporary.

Carole said...

As you know, I have awful tinnitus all the time too. I am SO glad that the humming you heard went away. I am pretty use to it after having it for years, but wouldn't wish it on anybody. My daughter-in-law had a short bout with it once just like you, and hers went away too.

Jocelyn said...

How bizarre! I was going to guess tinnitis...I know I've had that kind of thing for a few days after being exposed to CRAZY loud noise right by the speakers at a concert, and also one time when I took too many aspirin...but when it's unexplained, that's nuts.

geewits said...

~~So you've had it before?

~~You and me both!

~~Did she have any idea what caused it?

~~Ha ha! You reminded me of the late 70's and early 80's post concert ear thing. That was always weird as hell but usually lasted only about 24 hours. And it was always both ears. Or maybe my whole head.

Anonymous said...

EEk. That would drive me nuts in about half an hour. Or less. Noises like that outside my ear drive me nuts, but at least I can get away from them. I hope it never comes back.

geewits said...

~~That's two of us. I'm pretty good at ignoring things but sometimes it would really get to me.

Carole said...

Gee, daughter-in-law did not know what caused it. Seemed to just be a random oddity.