Monday, October 27, 2008

Bill




We spent 6 hours at the hospital on Sunday. My father-in-law could not be roused on Sunday and my MIL called 911. He was taken to the emergency room where he spent about 8 hours before being admitted. Sometime on Monday they decided he may have had a heart attack and scheduled a 5:30 p.m. angioplasty. When they sent the scopes into him there was too much blockage for a simple angioplasty. He is now in the Cardiac Wing waiting for the doctors to consult with heart surgeons on what to do next. The doctor told him he did not want to waste his time unless he will stop smoking. He is 75 and has been smoking unfiltered Camels since he was 6 or 7 years old. I guess we will know more later today.


~

That's my father-in-law on the right. If you haven't been around long enough, you may not know that he asked me to make this picture for him. He's always had a crazy sense of humor and has a million great stories. He has been in unpublic places in the Great Pyramid and has partied with the original astronauts in Houston. He's also hung out with Willie Nelson and plays a mean guitar. If you know me well enough through my blog, you will know I'm very pragmatic about death. I don't freak out when people die because everybody dies. When old people die it just seems normal to me. Children dying is sad, but everybody dies and no one gets to pick the date. I'm more concerned about My Sweetie's Mom. And My Sweetie. I guess Bill has been My Sweetie's extra Dad since MS was 11 or 12. Heck, his sister even calls Bill "Dad." I've only met the "real dad" twice in 13 years, so I realize that Bill is far more a Dad than their dad. "Real dad" did the blonde trophy wife thing and started all over again in another state
~
Anyway a lot is going on here with us with this. I'll know more in the next few days. Bill wouldn't want anyone to worry and I'll finish this with my favorite joke that he told me:
~
A set of jumper cables walks into bar. The bartender says, "Okay, I'll serve you, but don't start anything."

10 comments:

Jammie J. said...

My thoughts are with you guys right now. I love how emergency rooms aren't really emergency rooms unless you come in on a gurney.

(hugs)

geewits said...

My thought was that hospitals group you in sections and they couldn't find a category for him. When I walked in last year and said "I can't breathe." I got immediate attention. I suggest everyone start by saying "I can't breathe."

Scarlet said...

I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. The waiting is the hardest part. I'll never forget when my dad (you know how I feel about him!) had a heart attack last year and we spent hours in the hospital praying and waiting. They kept telling us, "it doesn't look good."

I just said a prayer for your FIL. Take care and keep us posted.

Carole said...

Your FIL sounds like an interesting and funny guy! I'll be keeping him and you and family all in my prayers. I know you'll keep me posted, and I'm here for you if you need me.

Jazz said...

So sorry about this. Hugs to you and your sweetie for me and Mr. Jazz. Because pragmatism doesn't exclude hugs.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

So sorry to read about your FIL....I hope they can do whatever needs to be done so he can continue to have a full life...And I pray he stops smoking...!
You are all in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Cycling Goddess said...

geewits, I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. No matter what happen, I hope he doesn't suffer for too long. I'm also pragmatic about things like these. Bill seems like such a great guy.

I like the joke :)

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~Thanks and yes there is LOTS of waiting. The surgeon came by to see him at 6:00PM today. PM!

Carole,
~~He's a pretty neat guy. Right now he's just worn out and ornery.

Jazz,
~~Thanks. Oopps! Your sweet side is showing.

Naomi,
~~They're telling him he HAS to stop smoking but if he ever makes it home, I bet he will smoke.

Urban,
~~He's a real character all right. That's one of my favorite quick and easy jokes.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Just checking to see how your FIL is doing....I hope things have stabilized....!

Anonymous said...

Bill sounds like quite a guy who’s led a good, interesting, love & joy-filled life so far. Whatever’s next, I wish him well.