Monday, October 20, 2008

I Miss My Lazy

I used to foolheartedly brag about my laziness and this year it really came back to bite me in the ass haunt me. I had a pretty easy sedate life for a few years and this June I started moving about on a constant basis. And it was the FIFTH hottest summer on record. And it seems that once I started moving I could not stop. So I've been a little slow on posting about my projects and stuff so here is a project from a few weeks ago. I did this just after I painted the gold wall.
~
Shortly after we moved here I was watching HGTV and there was a segment where a lady did a stamping mural thing and I thought, "Oooh! I can do that!" We didn't have a headboard and I thought I'd make a cool "faux headboard." So this is what I came up with:

Our bed was under that for several years and then one day we decided to rearrange the bedroom. So now this goofy mural thing was where I wanted to put My Sweetie's dresser and mirror. I wanted to paint over it but he did not want me to. I have no idea why. It looked really stupid behind his mirror:

Some time after we moved our bed, Mom gave me a bed frame from one of her guest rooms. I really like this. You may remember it from June:


I tried various things over the bed. I did My Sweetie's and my childhood pictures, then a thing from the living room after I had I rearranged things in there, but nothing ever looked right. So I figured that if I made a new mural I could finally paint over the other one. I found a cute leafy stamp that I really liked and I did this:

I took a silk rope thing and hung it from the center and made a pencil line to get the natural drape look. Then I just took my stamp and turned it in different directions. I really like how it came out. I can't hang a large picture over my bed because part of being crazy is thinking that a large picture hanging over your bed will randomly fall and decapitate you. Oh, and I did paint over the old mural thing.
~
I will work on getting my new coffee table pics organized and even though I told myself to take a project break, today I did another project. I also saw The Secret Life of Bees which is a GREAT movie.
~
And Friday I met Amy The Realtor out at the house and gave her keys. KEYS. And she put up a sign. A SIGN. I filled up the back of my truck with the very last little bunch of stuff from the garage. I cleaned the two fridges. I walked around and looked at every room. I thought of things, I remembered things. And I drove home.

16 comments:

VioletSky said...

Once that sign goes up, it all seems so real and final, doesn't it?

Jazz said...

Love the stamping. And now the sign is up, you're done with the house! Bravo, you did good!

Granny Annie said...

I almost fainted and fell in the floor over your comment at Scarlet's that my markering of Jerimiah was "kick ass". No higher praise could ever be expressed. Thanks. You've got a pretty kick ass blog here and I like your stamp work. The mirror actually looks lovely framed by the mural.

Anonymous said...

The leaves? The bed? Gorgeous. And the mural around the mirror didn’t look stupid to me at all.

Scarlet said...

Great job on with the stamps above the bed...and a good idea. I would've never thought of that!

The Secret Life of Bees was a great book. My friend, Evelyn, and I (who accompanies me to movies my husband would NEVER see) might want to tag along with me and catch the flick. I'll have to mention it to her.

Btw, I love your bed...and the sleepy kitty. Adorable.

geewits said...

VioletSky,
~~Yes. No more Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas or swimming in the pool. But I'm glad it's done.

Jazz,
~~Thanks! It's been a lot of work.

Granny Annie,
~~Well Scarlet said he was hard to draw and you did such a good job I even wondered if you had done a Photoshop trick. It was perfect!

Xup,
~~Well thanks, but I thought the old mural made his whole dresser area look junky and cluttered.

Scarlet,
~~I always get random ideas, but some of them are mistakes. I liked this one. I've been thinking about reading the book now that I've seen the movie, but I should wait about 6 months.

Carole said...

Hmmm...I may have to rethink that large picture hanging over our bed now! hahaha

"I thought of things, I remembered things. And I drove home."
How beautifully put.

geewits said...

Carole,
~~I guess you and I have totally different fears (windows/picture decapitation). And thanks for the sentiment. It was fun dealing with the cop with you today heh heh!

Jocelyn said...

You are CRAFTY, woman.

And, oh my, the untold hours and emotion of that last short paragraph...

Ian Lidster said...

Nicely done. I am impressed.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That Leaf Mural is FANTASTIC! And what you did to get the drapery effect was ingenious...! I think it is amazing the things you create...I have watch that channel and never feel I can do any of the things, though I wish I could! BRAVO to you!
It has to be hard in a way to know that you are done with the house and now, it will become someone elses....It is hard to ssy goodbye to a place that holds such memories.

geewits said...

Jocelyn,
~~Thanks. Yes, I guess you summed that up well.

Ian,
~~Thanks. I guess you mean the leafy thing?

Naomi,
~~That's so funny that you feel you can't do the stuff. Every time I see something I think, "I CAN DO THAT!" but have found out the hard way that I can NOT do that. Some things yes, but I have made a lot of flubs. About the house, I guess I should feel more than I do, but I guess Mom's house is where Mom is. There were a lot of memories, but with Mom not there anymore, it became an empty house.

LostInColor said...

Nicely done. I also thought the mirror on the mural (hey that has a nice ring to it) looked good. Is that your little kitty? Adorable picture of the kitty.

geewits said...

Thanks, and no that's one of those pics that floats around on those cute kitty pages. (And it's my Myspace pic!)

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Love the design over the bed; give me a close up shot...I'm taking decorating notes for when our house is finished.

So, you get to settle into your pajamas for winter and relax now, huh?

geewits said...

Gnightgirl,
~~Ha ha! Settle in and relax? I just finished painting shiny red eyes on skulls for a little faux iron fence border for Halloween. Just pick out a stamp you like for the "design" part. The trick was getting the draped effect.