Friday, October 31, 2008

A Distraction

I want to thank all of you for your prayers and good wishes. And Carole, he knows all of those. Bill's surgery is at 7:00 a.m. today and they are also doing one of his carotid arteries at the same time. I think it's his right one which was over 90% blocked.
~
Today I did something I've been talking about for years, which was make a half man, who is headless, coming out of the ground. What? You guys don't have one of these?

The reason I never got around to doing it even though I made the neck part many years ago was because I couldn't figure out how to do the hands:
Well, today I came up with an idea. I had a whole box of latex gloves, but you usually think to fill them with water. As a matter of fact, a couple of Halloweens ago I filled two with water and green food coloring, froze them, peeled off the latex, and set them out. But gloves filled with water look like gloves filled with water. So what to do? I thought and thought and came up with the idea of sand. I have a whole bag of sand. I don't like to leave my house and always have to think in terms of "What is in my house? What do I have?"
~
I filled the two gloves with sand and then painted some knuckles and dirt on them with brown acrylic paint mixed with glaze. I painted the same stuff on a water bottle. Water bottles are roundish. I used that to cut out the fingernails and then glued them on. I was pretty happy with my hands.
~
The body base is a clear storage container without the lid and turned on end. I put bricks in the bottom. I used some chicken wire and a towel to round out the shoulders and the arms are two beer case boxes rolled up with the help of some duct tape. The dirt is peat moss. I think I'm going to add more peat moss tomorrow when I put out my ghoul. Then I will take more pictures. Oh and that fence thing are the red eyes I had to paint in the skulls.
~
Again, thanks for all the good wishes! I will keep everyone informed and I wish everyone a Happy Halloween!
~
Boo!

12 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This is BRILLIANT! I cannot get over how inventive you are...And I would think all the kids and grown-ups too, who see this will just LOVE it! Very Very Clever!
Have great fun tonight! And "BOO"!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~You are too kind. You've walked among brilliance. I'm just a goofy housewife with a lot of time on my hands. Thanks for the compliment!

Jazz said...

He's amazing. I love him. Creepy as all hell

Scarlet said...

If you were local, I'd hire you as my party planner. First the pictures for the anniversary party and now this! Naomi said it best...this is BRILLIANT!

I would die if I walked up to somebody's house and saw half a man popping out of the ground. Ingenius!

Cycling Goddess said...

You're so creative! I love it.

We're very lucky today in Toronto, the weather is perfect, it's Indian Summer so the kids won't freeze going out. Have fun tonight!

Carole said...

Gee,
He is ookie spooky creepy! I love it...love it...love it!

But you know what you made me realize, I ain't got nobody. hahaha Get it...no body. But I can just walk over and visit your Mr. Body.

Happy Halloween and Boo to you 2!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Thanks!

Scarlet,
~~When I was out working in the yard today finishing up everything, the neighbors across the street said, "You're going to scare all the kids away!" Party palnning would not be fun because I'd have to please someone else. Besides your parties look pretty fine.

Urban,
~~It was pretty warm here today, about 80°. If a kid is planning on being a fuzzy animal they will probably get heat stroke.

Carole,
~~Thanks for telling me about the earthquake! I thought my walls were cracking or my roof wass falling off.

Anonymous said...

You obviously have waaaay to much time on your hands.I wish I did. But even if I did, I wouldn't end up doing anything as magical as this. I'd just sleep a lot more and maybe keep my house a little cleaner than I do now.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

1. I hope the surgery went well, and I'm sorry that I'm just now tuning in here.

2. Kids passed up my house tonight, and I didn't even have a headless guy poking out of my lawn. Great scary props.

geewits said...

Xup,
~~I get plenty of sleep. Maybe I should work on the cleaner house part.

GnightGirl,
~~He's fine so far. I'm sure we'll go up there this weekend. We did not get a lot of T-o-Ters, so we have lots of candy left. I did hear a few kids shriek as they came into the yard. I hope they don't have nightmares.

Big Brother said...

You probably scared the hell out of t he kids... oh well it just means that you'll have more candy left over. ;o)

geewits said...

BB,
~~Hearing some of the shrieks was great fun. Unfortunately we do have a lot of candy left.