Saturday, November 17, 2007

Why do I hate Thanksgiving?

I was talking to Kim the other day and we were both talking about how we were both super crabby lately and she wisely figured it out. We hate Thanksgiving. Then we were trying to figure out why we hate Thanksgiving. Since then I have been really trying to analyze it. Here's all I've come up with so far:

  • It's a whole day based on food. And not partucularly great food. Just regular food.
  • The day starts with everyone saying "Something smells so good!" and ends with "Oh my, I ate way too much."
  • Football is on TV in the background
  • Everyone just sits around waiting for the food to start
  • Then everyone sits around waiting for their energy to return so they can drive home

It just seems like a waste of time. And you can't really socialize with everyone because half the people are scurrying around doing food things and the other half are watching football. Maybe I am just bitter because it used to be my favorite travel time and My Sweetie always has to work on that Friday. I usually try to get out of Thanksgiving but I caved this year for MY Sweetie and offered to bring a salad. Christmas has words for anti-Christmas people like Scrooge and Grinch, but there is not a word for anti-Thanksgiving people. I was playing with some and came up with:

  • gobbler grouser
  • gobbler grumbler
  • fowlcontent (yeah, ouch!)
  • pilgriminator
  • turkey crab
  • turkey grump

All I know is I'll be glad when it's over and I can get on with the business of Christmas because it's the most wonderful time of the year!

What? Too early for that?

10 comments:

Jo said...

How about Grumpsgiving? I hate holidays where everyone has to pretend to be cheerful. It always feel artificial. And the poor, unfortunate folks who don't have families, or can't afford all the trimmings, etc., get very depressed.

Oh, aren't I the cheerful one today? Well, that's because I have to work on a Saturday.

Bah, humbug. :-)

Jammie J. said...

Awww.... heh, you were putting the list of why you hate Thanksgiving and I'm all "yeah, that's great" or "ooohhh, I love tradition like 'smells so good'". I think you're a TurkeyGrumbler. :P

On the radio station I listen to at work they started playing Christmas songs yesterday. I was stunned and then irritated, it's too early for that for me. At least wait until after GrumbleGiving.

Scarlet said...

I think we all feel the injustice of the holiday when all the work seems to fall on one person. That's why it needs to be a joint effort, from cooking to cleaning, and the meal itself should last a while. Good wine is a must! If I were you I'd stand at the door and as I welcomed each guest, I'd assign him/her a job. Then I'd kick back, supervising and enjoying my wine. :)~

geewits said...

Josie,
I'd rather work on a Saturday than do Thanksgiving.

Jammie,
~~Wow you actually like that stuff? As for the early Christmas stuff, I sing Christmas songs all year long. I LOVE them!

Scarlet,
~~I've never been to one where only one person does everything. They are always group efforts. And I've never had it at my house. That would be hypocritical. I just show up when I'm told to be there with a dish of some sort. This year I will bring a nice salad. Someone else can make the deviled eggs. And if I want good wine I will have to bring a bottle as I'm not too fond of the wine with the screw off cap.

Jocelyn said...

I'm wid ya, Crabass. I hate Thanksgiving, too (and pretty much every holiday except Halloween, which is what it is: a "gimme, gimme" day--I appreciate its candor).

I hate holidays because they're all about "let's proclaim a day when we all will HAVE LOTS OF FUN TOGETHER." I mean, if you were going to have lots of fun together, wouldn't that just be happening naturally anyways?

geewits said...

Jocelyn,
~~I get you there, but I LOVE LOVE Christmas. And not the getting together part, because we really don't do much of that. I have a foodie thing here on some day before Christmas and it's over in about 2 or 3 hours. We don't actually do anything with anyone on Christmas or Christmas eve. I just like the music and decorating my house - for me. Halloween is great too. I like the dressing up part.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I am Sooooo not ready for any of it! Help! It all seems to have goitten here much faster this year...It feels like I will never catch up, so....Maybe I just won't do anythinf at all....But then I know I cannot do that! HELP!

Ian Lidster said...

You see, we Canadians, who often feel an international sense of inadequacy about most things, at least do Thanksgiving right. We get the damn thing out of the way in October, not stuck right up against Christmas.
Have a good one anyway, my dear.

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~It has seemed to creep up faster. I would like to not do anything at all - maybe next year.

Ian,
~~You just like that weird sandwich the next day.

Anonymous said...

I hate thanksgiving. People eat too much and watch a football game; no way to give thanks...it is hypocrisy. Excuse for relatives to impose themselves on you. People insist you eat more than you want to or should. Maybe people should fast or be vegetarian for a day to show thanks. Why do I get so many invitations for Thanksgiving. I have my own screwey relatives. Why do people think I want to be with their relatives. I have many other reasons.