Sunday, November 11, 2007

Things That Never Happened

bridesmaid dresses from hell

I don't know why I was thinking about this the other day, but I was thinking about things that I have not experienced that I consider to be normal things that most people experience. And who knows, maybe I am wrong about that. I have experienced some things that most people have not, like:
  • Been to a Super Bowl
  • Did the Times Square on New Year's Eve thing
  • Been interviewed on TV and radio
  • Performed the baby Heimlich manuever
  • Danced a ballet on a public stage with my daughter
  • Smoked a joint in the Statue of Liberty (I was young)
  • Did Halloween on Bourbon Street (it's AWESOME!)
  • Airplane MHC (if you don't know what this is, don't ask)
  • Had an anxiety attack in a public place which resulted in my not being able to move
  • Fainted at a funeral
  • Told someone their father was someone else
  • Jumped off the roof of a house
  • Scared Bette Midler

I imagine a small percentage have done the things that I listed above. On the other hand, there are things I have not experienced that I think a good majority of people have. These are some of them:

  • Been married in a formal wedding with the big white dress (and I've been married THREE times!)
  • Been a bridesmaid (although I've heard this can be a good thing)
  • Been "stream struck" while changing a baby boy's diaper
  • Traveled to Europe - but I expect it WILL happen
  • Touched a dead person. (I not only don't go near caskets, I didn't even touch my Dad when he was on "life support.")
  • Ran a marathon of any sort (although I did do a walkathon when I was 12)
  • Been to summer camp
  • Had swimming lessons
  • Had braces

So am I wrong? Has everyone else done the things on the bottom list? Has anyone done the stuff on the top list?

19 comments:

Scarlet said...

You're a member of the MHC?? Maybe it's a good thing you've never been to summer camp then. ;)

I loved both of your lists! Can you elaborate on the things you've done? I know I'm not the only one who wants to know how you scared Bette Midler. I love her!

By the way, come to Miami for those dance lessons! I won't charge you...

Jammie J. said...

Hmmm, I've only done 3 things on your lists, the bottom list... guess I've got a lot of living yet to do! :)

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~I'll post about the Bette Midler thing this week. Ha ha! about summer camp! My husband went to South Beach a year or so ago on business and I could have gone with him. I'll ask him if he's ever going back.

Jammie,
~~You've been to Europe so I'll guess you've been a bridesmaid and had swimming lessons? Touched a dead person?

Big Brother said...

MHC! Naughty, naughty... but don't sweat the rest, I was never married in a white dress nor have I ever been a bridesmaid. ;o)

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~You've never been a bridesmaid?

Jocelyn said...

I love these. You ought to toss this idea off on people as a new meme.

I didn't get married with the big white dress (something I'm still grateful for!), but I've been a bridesmaid. I've had a baby boy pee on me. Never touched a dead person. Not done a marathon, but I've done up to a 25K. Never had braces.

I fit fewer things off your first list...see, I've done New Year's in Trafalgar Square, not Times Square!

geewits said...

Jocelyn,
~~Yeah, I should have included any type of big group run thing with the marathon. New Year's in Trafalgar square! I bet that was really something.

Jo said...

I have been married in a formal wedding dress, I have been a bridesmaid, I have traveled to Europe, I have been to summer camp and had swimming lessons.

None of those things, however, hold a candle to smoking a join in the Statue of Liberty, or scaring Bette Midler.

Trust me, most of the so-called normal things in life are highly over-rated. I discovered this years ago and decided I didn't want any more of the "normal" things.

I did write my initials on the wall in the right-hand tower of Notre Dame Cathedral, however. Is that the same as smoking a joint inside the Statue of Liberty? :-)

Jammie J. said...

Hehe... nope.
Been to Europe, true.
Been married in a formal wedding (my first wedding).
Been to summer camp. :)

geewits said...

Josie,
~~I'd say they are about equal. We are very bad people!

Jammie,
~~I forgot there was a first wedding!And I could picture you patting a relative in their coffin.

Jazz said...

MHC? You go girl!!!

I didn't do the formal wedding dress either, nor have I been a bridesmaid, thank god.

Stream struck - check
Europe - check
Dead person - nope
Marathon - are you kidding!?!
Summer camp - god no
Swimming lessons - check and I failed
Braces - nope.

Now... I want the Bette Midler story.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Let's see. Top list - only one (interviewed on TV and radio). I am extremely curious how you managed to do the MHC and if it was on a private or commercial flight. I, um, want to know in case the opportunity presents itself.

Bottom list - been to Europe, touched a number of dead people, had swimming lessons and had braces.

What a fun couple of lists.

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~You laugh about the marathon thing, but I think hiking to Mt. Everest base camp could be substituted there - and you did THAT!

LGS,
~~I said, "I'll be on the right." He arrived about two minutes later. We were both very slim people, so we had plenty of space. We did NOT fool our seatmate and he made some comments. And it wasn't all that wild and crazy because it was my husband.

Ian Lidster said...

Two in your second list and none in your first. I'll leave it to you to deduce which two. Really easy since you are a regular reader of my blog.
As for my never having been a bridesmaid, when Wendy and I got married, my 'best man' was female, and Wendy's maid-of-honor was male, so we came close.

geewits said...

Ian,
~~I know you've been to Europe, so I'll go with either summer camp or touched a dead person?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I've only done ONE on the top list, and there are 5 I haven't done on the bottom list...So...I don't know if you are right, where I am concerned, anyway....LOL!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~Well, you did 4 on the bottom list, besides, I would hardly consider you a "regular" person!

Tai said...

Once I read MHC I didn't get much else read....NICE!!!

geewits said...

Tai,
~~You are a dirrty girl!