Monday, November 19, 2007

Stupid Shoulder

(Ahhh, to sleep, perchance to purr)

Although I was all in agreement with my friend Kim that my crabbiness was all about Thanksgiving, I think the real reason is: I have not been sleeping well. This is very unusual because I am normally one sleeping fool. What happened was, is the tendonitis in my shoulder will just not go away. And guess what irks it more than vacuuming? Yep. Sleeping. I think everyone here knows I have breast implants. Since I got those in early 1999, I have only slept on my right side, my left side or my back. And that has been fine. After a few years I got over missing the stomach sleeping. (Yeah, I know, lots of implanted women sleep on their stomachs, but why flirt with disaster?) Well, now I can only sleep on either side. When I roll onto my back, which happens, I wake up in AGONY. I'm not sure of the mechanics, because although I self diagnose A LOT, I am not really a doctor. But my shoulder, the bad one, does NOT LIKE the sleeping on the back. Maybe it does not like the snoring which comes with the back sleeping. Maybe my husband hates the snoring and injects my shoulder with pain. I don't know. All I know is for a while now I have been waking up in terrible pain when I am on my back. So some part of my brain sometimes wakes me up if I roll onto my back as a reminder to NOT DO THAT. Because then we will pay. So between the waking up in pain or the waking up because I moved, I wake up a lot. A lot. Sheesh. How many beers do I need to drink to sleep more than two hours at a time?

17 comments:

Jammie J. said...

If only you were a cat, then you could contort yourself and tuck your head under your butt and sleep in blissful, if somewhat smelly, ignorance.

Or something like that. I'm sorry your shoulder is hurting. Hopefully it goes away or falls off or something.

geewits said...

Jammie,
~~I'd be okay with my shoulder falling off if I could keep my hand. But then it just gets weird.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

There are these specially curved pillows that is supposed to improve support of the neck and shoulders when we sleep on our backs. You might try that. Otherwise, see a physio for advice on some stretching exercises to reduce the pain. Drinking lots of beer sounds attractive but is probably a last resort type solution.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

There is nothing worse than be awakened by pain somewhere in your body....I don't envy you at all....I have some back problems but they seem to be more in play while moving around...You know, they say that sleeping on your stomach is not good for you000I forget why now...LOL...But, supposedly sleeping on your back or your aides is supposed to be healthier....Maybe you should put a pillow up ahainst your back while sleeping on your side and then you won't be able to go onto your back as easily....Just a thought!

geewits said...

LGS,
~~I like resorts. :)
Yeah, I probably need to look into this. The problem is my doctor always says, "It's part of aging." Maybe I need a new doctor. And yes, drinking lots of beer IS attractive!

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I didn't realize there was anything bad about stomach sleeping, but THANKS! it makes me miss it less (when I was pregnant I thought I would go insane for wanting to sleep on my stomach!). Maybe tonight I will put my Snoopy behind me so I won't roll over.

Ian Lidster said...

That's rotten. I have a rotator cuff thing in my right shoulder (probably stress from hours of computer work daily) and it can seriously disrupt my sleep. You have my sympathy and empathy.

Jo said...

Geewits, Barney has got to be the most laid-back cat I have ever seen.

Sorry about your shoulder. That's really crummy. Do you take a pain killer or a muscle relaxant before you go to bed? That might help. There's one that's sold in Canada called Mersyndol, and it's Tylenol with a teeny bit of codeine in it, so it helps the pain and helps you sleep.

geewits said...

Ian,
~~My Mom had the rotater cuff thing. Hers was from playing golf. Oddly after I posted this last night I went to bed and had the best night's sleep in weeks!

Jose,
~~Codeine makes me throw up. I do take an anti-inflammatory before I go to bed. It helps. I finally caught up on my sleep last night and slept until 2:30 this afternoon! It was wonderful. Who knew posting about something would cure it?

Scarlet said...

Ambien works for me when I'm in too much pain to fall asleep on my own. I take 1/4 pill and I'm out!

Michael said...

Cats like to sleep between breasts.
Did I say cats.
I meant kats. Like me. One cool, boob-lovin' kat.

Hope you sleep better...

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~Isn't that the pill that makes people do crazy stuff?

Mike,
~~Were you drunk at 9:48 p.m.? I wish you could post about meeting you future MIL without worrying about Randi reading it!

Michael said...

Hey, it was 10:48 here... aka drinking time. And I was gonna write more about her mom, but really, the giraffes said more than I possibly could.

Seriously, I think those long-necked freaks were saying stuff, something about outnumbering us humans 1000 to one...

geewits said...

Mike,
~~LOL! From the pictures I think they were!

Jazz said...

Damn, Blogger ate my comment again. I had said that it was really too bad about your shoulder and that maybe you should see a physiotherapist about it.

Oh, and that maybe you should forgo the beer in favour of something stronger like martinis.

ticknart said...

Blogger ate my comment, too. It was about that Barney picture, but I don't remember exactly what I wrote. Oh, well.

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~I have one of those doctors that always says, "It's just part of aging." about anything I get. If this does not improve soon I will demand a referral.

Ticknart,
~~I think you need to get a cat.