Friday, November 02, 2007

Questions for The Man

Rembrandt Harmensz van Rijn's
Portrait of an Old Man in Red
1652-54
Oil on canvas, 108 x 86 cm
The Hermitage, St. Petersburg
-
-
I'm from the old (read: not too bright) school of thought on art. That means I have a hard time explaining why I like something, i.e. "I just know what I like." But I think I can explain why I like this painting. I think it appeals to me on the same level that some photographs do - I feel like I have felt like this guy is feeling. Maybe he doesn't want to be there, or maybe he is just tired. Maybe he is listening to a couple fight across the way or wondering if his grandaughter has chosen a suitable husband. There is something universal about his posture and expression. I can picture myself sitting across from him in a similar chair and we are having a discussion about the news of the day. Or maybe he is thinking, "I have better things to do today than sit here to pose for this picture." I wonder if he knew he was being immortalized? Probably not. I really like this. I just wish I could ask this man some questions.

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Jazz said...

He looks sad and tired...

Tai said...

He looks like he would have something interesting to say, I think.
A story worth listening to.

Jo said...

What a great post! To me, he looks very old, very wise, he has seen it all, and he is wondering about the folly of having his picture painted. I also detect a teeny hint of pleasure that someone wants to paint his portrait. He is bemused about it, but secretly pleased at the same time. I wonder what he is looking at, over in the corner.

Have a great weekend!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Well to look that old in the 1600's I imagine you have been through quite a lot.

Tai,
~~That's what I was thinking. I would love to get to know him.

Josie,
~~My husband always thinks I am staring at something intently when in fact I am thinking "deep thoughts." I figured this guy is also thinking deep thoughts. I also think he is bemused by the whole concept of posing for this picture.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

The Weight Of The World...that's what I see...And I think it is a fantastic peice of art.

The magnificence of "ART" is that one is moved by it...That's what it is ALL about. It touches you. It says something to you....And something that you do not forget, and that you cannot forget, nor do you want to.....Disturbing? To a lot of people, I guess...But, it is so very truthful. So what life is about....It Is Breath Taking.
It is why it is GREAT! It is Universal in it's feelings. To me, that is a deeply meaningful thing. Joyous, in a way, because it makes me feel not so alone. It makes me feel, someone else understands what I feel. And someone else understood this cebturies ago.

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~That's a good way to put it!