Thursday, November 29, 2007

Stupid is as Stupid Does



Man did I wake up on the stupid side of the bed today! Part of it was I stayed up too late. I knew I was going to be a bit off, but gee wits! I got to the church on time to pick up the food, but they had changed our routes again. Everyone was talking about it. I got some guys back I used to have more than a year ago, and of course they left Myriam on my route (I had to complain when they took her off last year). They actually added a route so we all had fewer people. But I had different people. I stack the meals in two stacks in the ice chest in the order that I need to take them out, so I was trying to wrap my fuzzy brain around the new route. I was the last person packing up. These two guys kept coming back into the church - and I had never seen them. Finally I asked, "Do you need something?" This young chap says, "I work for Meals on Wheels and I want to make sure there is no food left here." I just stopped what I was doing and looked at him like he had 4 breasts and said, "I've been doing this for seven years. I would never leave food here." What a freaktard! Oh okay, back to being stupid.

The lady who is way out of the way and on the other side of a 20 mph school zone is now my first stop. Then I went to Myriam's. As soon as I got there I realized I had forgotten to give the first lady her breakfast (for the next day). I gave Myriam her breakfast and called the first lady to tell her I would run it by after my route, but she didn't answer. I decided to call again later. So I deliver to 5 more people, (that's 7 now of a total of 10) when I realize that I didn't give anyone after Myriam their breakfasts! How stupid is that?!? After realizing I had forgotten the first lady's breakfast, I then went on to also forget the next 5 breakfasts! I was in awe of my own stupidity! It was so big and bright, this stupidity. I was at person #8's house when I realized this. I gave her all her stuff, drove around the corner and gave #9 her stuff and then proceeded to backtrack. My first stop is a guy I've never had. My first day with this guy and here I was knocking on the door 10 minutes later, saying sheepishly, "Uhm, oops, I woke up on the stupid side of the bed today and I forgot your breakfast!" Then I go back to Richard's house. He came outside and said, "I was wondering why we didn't get breakfast today." HE remembered and he was on morphine! So now it's getting late, I call the first lady and her daughter answered and told me to forget about it and give it away. Whew! I called #10 guy to tell them I was "running slow" and I would be there as soon as I could. When I hung up the phone I was all, "Running slow? What the hell is that? Is that even an expression? What am I? A cheap watch?" Does anyone say, "I'm running slow today?" Ha - maybe I was referring to my brain. That makes a lot more sense.

Fortunately, after my route ended I didn't do anything stupid. I actually did a little fun shopping. I was relieved when I got home because I kept expecting the big stupid to come back but it never did. I guess.

10 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I hate days like that where everything you do seems a bit off or just plain wrong!

I will have to watch for that movie you mentioned....I have read a little about it but not enough to make any kind of judgement about it....I am probably the only person on the planet who is NOT a Philip Seymour Hoffman fan....It is chemical, or something....So, who knows weather I will like this filmn or not...What I just loved about AWAY FROM HER is that it was a very very touching love story...and a very grown up film, in every way....A Beautiful economical script---not a wasted word---And the ACTING....There wasn't a false note in any performance. I'm not sure I will feel that way about SAVAGES, since I have a problem with Philip Seymour Hoffman's acting.....I will have to wait for the DVD...

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I didn't see PSH in the Capote film, but I LOVED him in Magnolia. I know what you mean about actor chemistry. I always despised Ed Begley Jr, and can't explain it for the life of me!

Scarlet said...

Oh, we've all had days like this I think...You were just running late, or "running slow." That's a good one. I'll have to remember to use that line!

Jammie J. said...

Oh man, I hate when days like this happen. I'm glad the rest of the day went okay, though.

P.S. If you e-mailed me your address (assuming you want a CD), I didn't get it. :)

geewits said...

Scarlet
~~As long as every day isn't stupid day, I guess I can live with it.

Jeanette,
~~I meant too. I guess I was still running a little slow!

Jo said...

I'm sorry, that made me laugh. I can relate. I have days like that at least twice a week.

"I'm running a little slow." Can I borrow that? I love it. You have just invented a new Geewitsism. Heh.

Tai said...

LOL! Aw, Geewits! That sounds tough!
Well, you're not alone...I 'run slow' too.
Me n' my elementary school blog! (I'm STILL cross about that! LOL!)

geewits said...

Josie,
~~ I'm sure I'd have more of them if I left the house more often!

Tai,
~~ I don't even want to meet people that "run fast" all the time. That's funny that that thing made you mad.

Jocelyn said...

I love this story.

For me, there is NO good side of the bed. Staying in it is the only safe approach.

geewits said...

Jocelyn,
~~Tomorrow (Friday) I get to sleep until I wake up. Yay!