Thursday, November 15, 2007

Homefront Happenings

This was one of the holes the plumbers cut out. It's behind a bank of drawers in the kitchen. I don't know how that guy did that because it was quite a challenge for me to get my arm in there to patch that up.

In this next one you can see the hole, the new pipe and the piece of wall there on the left:
This was after I put it back in. It's not pretty, but it's behind drawers and no one will ever see it, and it is nicely sealed. I was getting all kinds of cramps trying to work in those drawer openings. How did that guy saw that out and drill that hole in the stud for the pipe?


Saturday we finally finished draining the spa and I pulled off all the loose tiles and prepped the areas to put the tiles back. There were sections like that on all four sides. I didn't finish that until yesterday. And by finish, I don't mean finish. I mean I got all the tiles put back on. Tomorrow I have to grout all of that. I am not a big fan of grouting but it has to be done. When My Sweetie saw me in my awful work get-up (it was quite warm out) he started singing "Let's get physical, physical." That's really an insult to Olivia Newton John. Anyway after working on the tiles until dark, I took a shower and we went to Carraba's again because after I told my Mom that we had gone to Carraba's last week, she said, "Oh. I love that place. They have one here, it's near the college." I figured a gift certificate would be a good idea for her birthday. They love restaurant gift cards because they eat out 95 nights out of 100. Plus I wanted some more of the garlicky goodness that is Carraba's. The funny part was I didn't even know it was a chain. I thought that was the only one. I am silly.


Sunday morning I woke up with a giant swollen lump under my left eye. Then later I noticed I had the same rash on my face that I had just before Jazz came to visit. I don't know if it was from the adhesive I was using on the tile, or from nuzzling Barney. And the eye lump was quite odd because I usually only get eye lumps after I eat shrimp. There happened to be a nurse at one of my Meals on Wheels lady's house today and she looked at it and was just as stumped as I am. But I think it is slightly smaller today. Speaking of Meals on Wheels:
~
I don't know if anyone remembers but I was supposed to train a lady named Kim today. I was a little late getting to the church to meet her, but the food had not even arrived, so I wasn't really late. Anyway, I walked in and there were two women sitting there and my brain said, "I bet it's the Asian lady." Well the other lady said, "Are you [Geewits]?" and I said yes and she said, "I'm Kim and this is Kim. We're the two Kims and we'll be riding with you today!" Which was really way too chipper for a morning exchange. So I said, "Yeah, I don't think so. I have a small two-seater truck. What do you drive?" Well the Asian Kim said she drove a Ford Expedition. My face apparently registered no response because she added, "It's huge!" So I said, "Good. You get to drive." It was great. The only thing I did was pack the one ice chest. I had them do everything else. Basically I sat in the passenger seat, gave directions and told them what to put on the tray for each person. Then we all went into each house and I made introductions. This worked out very well because I woke up with a really bad shoulder today. I was glad I did not have to drive so much. I couldn't wait to get home to take an etodolac. I should have taken one before I left. So I got home and scooped up Barney to put in the cat carrier to take him to the vet for his last round of shots. He decided that he was ABSOLUTLEY NOT going to go into that thing. And who can blame him? The last time he went in there he had his man parts taken off. Finally, I sat it up lengthwise and put him down into it that way. After all that, and my poor shoulder, I got there and they told me they messed up. "He has all his shots" and we had no reason to be there. That was pretty stupid. Barney didn't mind. He was just glad he wasn't getting poked, stabbed or cut.
~
That's what's been going on on the homefront. Tomorrow I have to grout all the tiles I replaced in the spa. It should be better weather for it, only in the 60's. I hope my shoulder can take it. I bought some ace heating bandage things today (I'm wearing one now) so I'll be sure to put one on tomorrow. And I'll take some pictures. Everybody loves fresh grout.

8 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I cannot get over that you can plaster and grout, etc...In my much MUCH younger days I have been known to paper a room---in fact I probably did 6 or 7 over the years..But, that is it as far as Home Repair is concerned. Good luck with the Grouting tomoorow and I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Jazz said...

Blogger ate my comment! Let's try again...

You're such a handyman/woman/person! I consider myself lucky if I manage to hit a nail into the wall without causing myself grevious bodily harm...

Jammie J. said...

I totally laughed at the singing of "let's get physical, physical!" That was funny. Hehehe...

Maybe dude was able to get behind the drawers because he used a long jigsaw? Or the jigsaw was an extension of his arm.

Glad your training at MOW worked out for you. Those crazy Kim's, huh? :)

Jo said...

Geewits, you are the busiest person I know. Phew...!

What kind of wood is that on the cabinets? It's nice. Your place is so lovely, be prepared for my teeny, tiny treehouse. It's cozy, it has a fireplace and has lots of windows overlooking the trees, but it's definitely not glamorous.

Did you try taking a Benadryl for your eye/rash thingy? It sounds as if you are allergic to something, perhaps something in the renovations?

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I would never have the nerve to try wallpaper. Give yourself some credit for that!

Jazz,
~~It's all about having good teachers and just going for it.

Jeanette,
~~I always wear a headband if I have to work outside when it's hot and he ALWAYS makes a big deal out of it. He did use a jigsaw, but then he used a drill somehow in the stud to drill a hole for that pipe. The openings look pretty large because the camera was right there but they were 6 1/4" X 22". And the distance back was 30 something inches.

Josie,
~~I'm not sure what type of wood it is, but it definitely needs to be refinished. I imagine I will find your treehouse quite glamorous indeed! Trees and windows and don't forget the location! I can't take benadryl, it puts me right out, but I tried benadryl cream on the eye - along with everything else. It is clearing up now and there is a little tiny hard spot in the center that makes me think it was a bug bite.

Scarlet said...

If only my art teacher could be as creative as you! Wow! Look at you getting all "physical, physical..." You put that song in my head, thankyouverymuch. ;)

By the way, I LOVE gift cards, especially to restaurants. Your mom will love it!

Tai said...

mmmmmm, fresh grout!!

Wow! You've had a hectic few days, my friend. I hope your weekend proves a little more relaxed!

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~And having to go back to get the cards was good for me too!

Tai,
~~Well I got to take Thursday off - my grout had dried out, so I will wait until the weekend to finish.