Sunday, November 25, 2007

I never wanted to "teach the world to sing"

As I was replacing the roll of paper towels, I began to muse about brand loyalty. For years, I would only use Scott paper towels. They were so ingrained in my family that we did not even call paper towels "paper towels," we called them "Scott Towels." My Mom still calls them that. I think what happened was My Sweetie kept showing up with Bounty paper towels and I got tired of complaining, because who is going to nag when someone else is going to the grocery store? Then one day I went to the grocery store, bought the Scott brand and found I did not like them as well. Who knew? I don't even remember what toilet tissue I used to use (probably Scott! - I just know it wasn't Charmin. I HATE Charmin) but now I must have Kleenex Cottonelle. And speaking of branding, I still call facial tissue "kleenex," and I only buy Kleenex brand "kleenex." The funny thing about that is, I only buy Kleenex brand because I like their artwork better than the other people. My Kleenex has to match my stuff.
~
On the other hand, some brand loyalty is permanent. I will ALWAYS be a Pepsi girl. Coke is too fizzy, has a funky texture and doesn't taste quite right. I LOVE my Pepsi, although my intake has changed drastically over the years. I went from gallons of regular Pepsi to gallons of Diet Pepsi, to just one decaf Diet Pepsi a day, although sometimes I have two. But it still has to be Pepsi. I will drink diet Coke if I absolutely have to (like in a hotel room), but I do not want to give them my money. I even make sure not to buy their bottled water. Coke people are so overly righteous, I have to be that way too. My own best friend will order a Coke at a restaurant and if they say, "We have Pepsi," she will say, "Make it a tea." Of course this is also the girl who buys Chevy and is anti-Ford, so she's obviously just clueless. But she is very young. Everyone knows Ford is better than Chevy.

9 comments:

Big Brother said...

There's a difference between Pepsi and Coke? I never could tell the difference, but then again I'm not really a soda drinker. To me they are all pretty much the same thing.
Do you know what FORD stands for? Found On Road Dead and Chevrolet: Can Hear Every Valve Rap On Long Extended Trips ;o)

Jammie J. said...

Hey! I like Cottonelle toilet paper! :) I use Bounty paper towels, too.

Ummm, but I can't drink Pepsi. Oddly the carbonation in Pepsi products give me hiccups. I have no idea why that is, but Coca-Cola does not. Weird, huh? Also, sometimes carrots on an empty stomach gives me hiccups. Not that I'm saying Pepsi puts carrots in their soda, just another hiccup trigger.

Scarlet said...

Wait a min...I'm a Coke girl and I do not like Pepsi because I find it too sweet and not as fizzy as "the real thing" (probably the same reasons you hate it :) ).

As for paper towels and Kleenex, I'm with you on those! ;)

I like Ford better than Chevy by the way. It's all I drive!

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~Someone told me they take all the taste out of stuff for Canadians - even ketchup! Hah hah, just kidding sort of. Okay, someone DID tell me that.

Jammie J,
~~I hope carrots are the secret ingredient in Pepsi!

Scarlet,
~~It's funny that my friend is so adamant about Chevy over Ford and (I have saved all my e-mails for years) she is CONSTANTLY taking her car in for something and I never have car trouble (now knocking on wood)! Coke is WAY too fizzy. If I have to drink one I either pour it in a glass or shake it up a little bit several times.

Jo said...

It's funny how we get "branded" isn't it? I only use Kleenex, and I call any tissue Kleenex. And I only use Purex Double bathroom tissue. If I'm shopping and the store doesn't have it, I'll go somewhere else to buy it.

I only drink root beer, but it has to be A&W root beer. (You don't have that in the states, I don't think.) And I wouldn't think of using anything other than Opi nail polish.

I wonder how much of it is marketing?

geewits said...

Josie,
~~We have A&W everything. I haven't had a root beer in ages, but I would only like diet. Marketing you ask? Well as far as soft drinks it is purely by taste. Actually I think all my favorite things are from usage. I can't think of anything I buy based on marketing. Oh, okay fast food. I will see an ad for some fast food and tell my husband, "That's what I want for lunch on Saturday!"

Jazz said...

I have a weird thing with Pepsi and Coke. I like Pepsi alone but Coke with food... I know, it makes no sense. Oh and my kleenex? Scott. Always. Though I shouldn't call it kleenex, eh?

Anonymous said...

Now, now.... I have every right to like what I like. And I am not clueless!

Anonymous said...

CONSTANTLY is a quite a bit much as well. Come on.

Did you say all this to get a rise out of me again?