Friday, August 10, 2007

Now That I Have The Map Thing Down...

Josie asked about my next trip. My daughter will be 23 on the 23rd and wanted to see Mom's (Grammy's) place near the North Carolina coast, so that's where we are going. We're going on Tuesday the 21st and returning on the 26th. Mom and my step-dad have a 5th wheel that they were using to travel around the U.S. and then decided to park it semi-permanently near Wilmington. The initial motivation was that my grandmother was in a nursing home there and Mom was helping her sister with her care. Grandma died last August, but they decided they loved the area and there they are.
It may look like a long distance from Mom's place to the beach but it is about 6 or 7 miles and takes about 10 minutes. It is also pretty close to Wilmington which has lots of cool stuff.
If you are unfamiliar with North Carolina here is the big picture:

Their camper is bigger than you might think. It has pull-outs, which is hard to explain, but two sections pull out and make whole rooms. We are actually going to stay in the "guest cabin" that the park offers to residents' visitors. I don't know much about it, but I imagine it will almost feel like camping to me because I usually stay in 4- or 5-star hotels. I think it will be fun, though, because:
  1. I get to see the ocean
  2. I get to spend time with my Mom and my daughter (we have a funky dynamic)
  3. Lolo is coming down for the weekend
  4. Kim may come to see me
  5. I get to have she-crab soup at The George on the Cape Fear river
  6. I LOVE THE OCEAN (especially the Atlantic Ocean)

I'm going to look for another swimsuit this weekend but I'm pretty much set. I also have some acquaintances from my childhood that have a summer place just north of Surf City so I hope I get to see them too. I wrote about my trip last year here. I never did do the second part. I guess that was a luxury of having hardly any readers at the time. So Josie, that's my next trip. I guess you're sorry you asked!

11 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sounds like this will be a wonderful trip...except for that "cabin" part...LOL! I'm big on Room Service and yje like, so...

I watched BURN NOTICE tonight, too..But Sharon wasn't on it tonight...Hmmmmm. She has been each week so far, though she doesn't have that much to do...Hoping they will urilize her more!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Forgot to mention..Yes, I am a Minister in The Universal Life Church, which isn't a church a all...It is non demoninational and you can indeed marry people legally. I joined in 1975 but didn't do my first Wedding till January of 1986.

ticknart said...

Wonderful trip. I'm jealous. I've never been to that coast. I've only ever seen the sun set over an ocean.

Also, looking at the big picture, I think if I were to travel the same distance you are, I'd just make it to where you live, barely.

Leslie: said...

Sounds like it'll be an amazing trip. I've always wanted to travel down the East coast and some day I will. I hope you have lots and lots of fun. I'll be watching to see your reports on your good time.

Jo said...

Geewits, that's right where they filmed "To Gillian on her 37th Birthday". It looks absolutely beautiful. You will have to be sure to take LOTS of pictures and post them.

I have always wanted to go there. The closest I have been is Mamaroneck, New York, which looks very similar, and which I just loved!!

Enjoy :-)

geewits said...

Lady of the Hills,
The cabin thing is still up in the air. If my step-dad goes someplace we are going to stay in the camper.

Ticknart,
Fortunately, I've never had to make that whole coast-to-coast flight like my Dad (who lived in N.C.). I never went to California until I moved to Texas.

Leslie,
If you like walking around with stuff to do go to Virginia Beach. If you like peaceful solitude go to Cape Hatteras.

Josie,
It's funny because I grew up near there and don't really think of the beach as a vacationy place. It's just "the beach." Except Virginia Beach. That was pretty vacationy. I will take lots of pictures!

Ian Lidster said...

Have a wonderful time -- and I know you will. I've always wanted to sea that part of the Atlantic seaboard. It's on my list of travel hopefuls.
Bon Voyage,
Ian

JR's Thumbprints said...

My wife, the in-laws, and I used to vacation at North Myrtle Beach--a place called The Beach Cove Resort. We loved the ocean view from our condo.

Scarlet said...

She-crab soup sounds interesting. Family and friends, especially old friends, are great. I hope you get to see them while you're there.

Lots of people from S. Florida are moving to NC...I think all the hurricanes scared them off.

Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yay! Your annual NC trip. Remember, check the couch for kitties and bring your beer in case your mom has to drive you somewhere! :)

geewits said...

Ian,
Thanks. I naturally have a good time. Was that a typo on purpose? it was quite suitable.

JR,
North Myrtle Beach was the hangout of high school. My husband and I visited south Myrtle Beach a few years ago when our Mexican vacation was "hurricane defaulted." We took a cab up to North MB and I hardly recognized anything.

Scarlet,
You've lived up and down the eastern seaboard and haven't had she-crab soup? That's just not right.

Jeanette,
I can't believe you remember the cat story! That was one crazy day!