Thursday, August 02, 2007

More Tomorrow



I lost one of my original Meals on Wheels ladies tonight. She was 97 and had been dying for some time. She had her last "surge" on Thursday, the 26th and went to bed and never woke up again. Her son had called me on Monday night so I didn't know if I would ever see her again. My daughter and I stopped by today. There was a vigil going on, and she was still breathing. I stroked her hair and spoke to her as did my daughter. She was such a sweetie. Every Wednesday for nearly 7 years she told me I was beautiful and often asked to touch my hair. She really loved my hair. Her English waned over the seven years and I would use what little Spanish I knew if her son was not there to translate. She was a lovely lady with a great sense of humor and I will miss her. A lot.

5 comments:

JR's Thumbprints said...

May she rest in peace, and may the wonderful volunteers of Meals on Wheels continue with their kindness. My in-laws were Meals on Wheels volunteers in the Detroit area for years.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful lady and one who clearly appreciated you and the help you rendered her.

Jammie J. said...

I'm so sorry... (hugs)

Jo said...

Geewits, that's so sweet. How nice that you were able to help her on her journey. What a wonderful thing to do. I hope she rests in peace. 97 years is a good life. She must have been a good person, too.

Ian Lidster said...

That's a lovely tribute, my friend. She obviously had a very long life, but it's always a shock when someone we've grown close to, goes.
Ian