Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Must. Vent.

I'm really not much of a venter. Okay, yeah I've had my moments with the MOW changes and the neighbors' cat, but there is something I just have to get off my chest: People, stop using the wrong words!
~
My number one complaint is the "your" and "you're" misuse. It's really driving me insane. I'm turning into that guy from the Pink Panther movies that gets the crazy eye. Last night was the last straw. I've been researching my August road trip with my daughter and was checking out the blues clubs on Beale Street and the website I found for SILKY O'Sullivan's misused "your" twice. ON ONE PAGE.
~
I realize that anyone can mistype something on occasion, but twice on one page? AAAARGH! Where were the proofreaders? This was for a business!!
~
I have come across several blogs that do the same thing. There was one lady that seemed pretty interesting, but in one post she used "your" for "you're" more than once as well as "there" for "their." In ONE post. I said to myself, "Yeah, I can't read this blog anymore."
~
And why is everyone spelling "lose" "loose" nowadays? That is popping up everywhere.
~
Here's the deal folks:
-Their means "belonging to them" as in This is their party and they can do what they want.
-There means "some place" as in Place the keg there so we don't get beer on the carpet.
- Lose means "misplace" as in I didn't mean to lose my keys.
- Loose means "not tight" as in I like these jeans because they are loose.
-Your means "belonging to you" as in This is your blog you dumbass so quit using the wrong words.
-You're is an abbreviation of the words "you" and "are" as in You're a dumbass if you keep using the word "your" when you mean "you are."
~
Disclaimer: If English is your second (or third) language, you are exempt from all of this and yay! for you for being able to communicate with people in another language.
~
I feel better now.

15 comments:

VioletSky said...

Agree! I have also found interesting bloggers that disappointed me with their bad spelling and/or grammar.

Love how you slipped in that beer reference, too. I was having a pint at an outdoor patio yesterday and thought of you - mostly because I was so very tired and full before I finished it and that made me sad. I could never keep up with you, although at one time...

Another pet peeve of mine: youse, as in youse guys.

Scarlet said...

Someone who is that careless about their writing (unless English is their second language) is not worth reading, I totally agree. It's not only annoying, it says a lot about a person, like it says a lot about a person who proofreads before they hit the Publish button.

The misuse of "your" and "you're" irritates me the most.

Daryl said...

Oh thank youse for this .. I am fed up to their with the awful grammor erras I reed all the time.

Seriously ...

Spell check wont find WORDOs only TYPOs .. and you gotta know the language to be a proof reader ...

Jazz said...

Amen sista!!!

I should link this post to my blog, because damned if that doesn't annoy the hell out of me too.

Big Brother said...

As an English teacher I have to agree. My students make those mistakes all the time but at least English is their second language.English speakers should know better.

Mr. Jazz said...

Your obviously upset at there mistakes but their are times when your unable to write properly because you're beer was spilled on the carpet.

Elaine said...

Thank you for saying it! Those mistakes (and many more) drive me batty too. One of my favorites is when people say or write notary republic instead of notary public. Far as I know, they do not have their own country.

Carole said...

I'm sure you're not referring to ya'll and c'mon. hee hee "Gotta" keep my Texanisms.

Hey, if it's a contraction, then people should use that apostrophe! Think how sad that poor little apostrophe feels to be left of a word where he totally belongs. He is all ready to jump in there and do his job, then he sadly gets left out, leaving a shell of the word (I think you'd call it a dumbass word) that should have been there. :)

geewits said...

VioletSky,
~~People actually type "youse?" That's odd. I'm from the south but I say "you guys" instead of "ya'll." Mmmmm, a pint at an outdoor patio.

Scarlet,
~~Yes the "your" is horrid. On that note, I hope you realized I was being silly with my crazy Spanish phrases the other day.

Daryl,
~~Coming from the printing and advertising biz, one of the first rules is "never proof your own work." Unfortunately, with blogging, you pretty much have to. I usually read over my posts about 3 or 4 times and still sometimes find something after I hit "publish." I never use spell check and did a post about it once. A random typo every now and then is forgivable but icky word switcheroos are annoying.

Jazz,
~~I figured it did.

BB,
~~I bet your students learn NOT to make those basic errors.

Mr. Jazz,
~~You are so funny!

Elaine,
~~I had never heard of that one, but my husband said he had heard it a lot. We even made a joke about it tonight.

Carole,
~~I do use "gotta" but not the other ones. As for apostrophes that drives me crazy on text messages. If there's a way to insert them, I don't know it, so I use a period in place of them.

Carole said...

Gee, my dad being the Italian from Pittsburgh (east coast version) sometimes jokes with me on his e-mails and will write youse guys, or youze guys. hee hee It always cracks me up.

A pints a pound the world around! Do you think a pint of beer is a pound of beer? hmmm...

Jocelyn said...

Haha! I laughed at your comment on my most recent post, about how you thought I was taking you to task. Really, really, although I can make exceptions for students in certain ways, I really do like to hold the line of proper usage. I've been known to take out a pen in a museum and FIX THEIR EFFING SIGNS.

So high five, sista! I mean, er, "sister."

geewits said...

Carole,
~~You are so funny. The "pound" in that expression comes from the English word pound which was their dollar. It's not the weight. You crack me up.

Jocelyn,
~~That's cool. I was a little nervous there...

Carole said...

Gee, that is a unique perspective I never would have had on that saying. It may well have meant that too once, but my Nana (grandmother) use to quote it to me however pertaining to liquids; although, after looking it up, it apparently ONLY pertains to water, H2O, Aqua. 16 oz. of water is a lb. the world around. :)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I think I am very guikty of the YOUR and YOU'RE mistake....Not sure why, but somehow I cannot remember the difference in that one....Sorry, my dear!

Anonymous said...

Anything with apostrophes seems to cause no end of difficulty for people.