Monday, July 27, 2009

Food and Games Weekend

I really had a great weekend and I also have a new addiction:
GAMES: We got an advance copy of the Wii Resort game and started playing some games Friday night, but the one game I can't stop playing is the archery one. You use the "nunchuk" which is a seperate part that plugs into the main controller, so you really do pull back your string. Without the tension of course. It's more about the aiming and lining up between the "bow" and the "arrow." And I LOVE it! We also did this crazy canoeing game. I realized we looked like crazy idiots while paddling and I'm thinking of trying to get a video of that. We also found karaoke on our TV cable box and had a lot of laughs with that. You'd be surprised to find out that you don't know all the words to a song that you think you know. And I can tell you right now that neither of us can rap. And I mean even "rap lite." We sucked. But it was funny as hell.
~
FOOD: I got this crazy idea, a variation on a theme, you might say, about beef stew. I love beef stew and I love potatoes, but it seemed to me that potatoes sort of get lost in beef stew. They seem to lose their great potatoey goodness. So when I saw Tyler Florence (A TV chef) put a big round scoop on top of his beef stew, I thought it was mashed potatoes and a lightbulb went off. But what happened was, when I watched the show, I saw that he did the same old thing with the potatoes and the scoop of stuff was actually a horseradish cream sauce. I love horseradish but I'm not going to put it in beef stew. Anyway, so the visual I saw gave me the idea and I did it:
On Saturday I made the stew without the potatoes. I boiled Yukon Gold potatoes and then hand mashed them, leaving small soft chunks with drizzled melted butter and a tad of parsley. Then I plopped a big scoop of potatoes on top of the stew. It was delicious! And On Sunday, I turned this:

into this:

It also has artichoke hearts in it. It was so good that I didn't realize until I was cleaning the kitchen that I had forgotten the penne pasta. But calorie wise, that's probably for the best.
~
It was nice having a really relaxing weekend with fun games and good food and I hope you had a great weekend too. Bon appétit!

8 comments:

Jazz said...

Mmmm food. That idea for the stew looks amazing...

Anonymous said...

You do pretty good food photos! I've come to realize that taking good food photos is very tricky (I guess that's why they have professionals who do nothing but take food photos for magazines). I had a good weekend too and I might even write about it tomorrow!

Carole said...

Wee! I mean Wii! The Wii archery looks fun! Did you sit down to canoe? You know you're not suppose to stand in a canoe? hee hee

Your food looks scrumptious! The brussel sprouts in there also look so very tasty! YUM!

Mr. Jazz said...

That all looks scrumpalicious!

Scarlet said...

I love how you're always trying something new...love the beef stew pic! Actually, all these photos are making me hungry!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~It really was a good idea. The potatoes did nor get lost that way.

Xup,
~~I just hold the camera up over the plate and use the macro setting. Seems pretty simple, but thanks.

Carole,
~~It's funny you asked that because My Sweetie laughed at me for sitting. I told him I had to sit down to be in a canoe. I sat on the new footstool. I always put brussels sprouts in my beef stew. It fulfills the green leafy veggie quota for the meal and adds a certain sweetness.

Daryl,
~~Thanks!

Mr. Jazz,
~~You know I don't speak French!

Scarlet,
~~I do like to do things differently sometimes. I have to admit though that some have been quite regrettable.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

My mouth is watering...I want both these meals...NOW! (lol)

VioletSky said...

I've never experienced Wii. I suspect it would give my brain a good jolt, though. And we should have taken a photo of our cheese table on the weekend, it was truly an awesome experience.