Friday, February 27, 2009

A Woman's Prerogative

There's an old saying: It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, but are you like me and have done a complete 180? Or as they say in the modern political era: totally flip-flopped on something? Well one of mine is that for over 30 years I was an obsessive tucker. (Yes, I meant to type "tucker.") No matter what I was wearing, the shirt had to be tucked into the pants. It was ridiculous. In this first example, not only is the top tucked in but I'm wearing some sort of stupid belt. (I'm the one on the right.):
1982

This next one is just as stupid. The top is a really cute cotton shirt (the type with eyelets and whatnot) that was even cut to indent at the waist and fall in an elegant flair at the top of the hips. And I tucked it in. I wonder what I was thinking. Oh yeah, "I have to tuck this in."
1988
This next one is really just incomprehensible. It looks like I am wearing cotton knit house shorts and yet, I have tucked in my shirt!:

1994, I think
Well, what happened was, I read an article in TV Guide (yeah, of all things) and never tucked in another thing. It may have been the 40th anniversary of Breakfast at Tiffany's or something, but TV Guide had an article by Audrey Hepburn's main designer guy about how he dressed her. I'm guessing it must have been Hubert de Givenchy because he styled a lot of her outfits. He said something like, "She was short-waisted and smaller at the top than the bottom so I always put her in long shirts and drop waist dresses. It made her look taller and longer." And it was one of those moments for me. A "Personal Duh" if you will, and that was that.
~
Do you have something in your life where you did a complete turnaround about food, friends, fun, fashion, family (what the F? Why does everything start with F?) or anything else?
~
~
Some Side Notes:
Although I have always detested Andrew Dick Dice Clay, the current ad for "The Apprentice" where he calls Mr. Worst Hair Ever "Donny Trump" really gave me quite a chuckle. "Donny." heh heh heh.
~
"Survivor" went all tricksy tonight making us think that "coach" had been thwarted, but then we saw at the end that he had voted for Jerry. That was annoying. I only got to be thrilled for a minute or so.

6 comments:

Jazz said...

How do I hate coach, let me count the ways. Arrogant egotistical bastard. I'm hoping he'll be voted off last before the jury starts.

But I have to admit he has entertainment value.

I tucked for a long time, then I started growing horizontally and stopped.

VioletSky said...

Sorry, I'm distracted by the white painter pants.


...okay, I'm back.
wishing to have a waist that fitted into the fitted waist clothes, she says, wistfully.

I'm trying to think of something I have done consistently for 30 years ... and am coming up blank. I think I change my mind far too often.

Anonymous said...

What a hottie!! And all that gorgeous curly red hair? Holy smokin'!! I doubt anyone noticed whether or not you were tucking anything in

Scarlet said...

Look at you all stylish...I love all your hairstyles, and yes, even the clothes. I don't know what you're talking about...you look great!

I don't tuck anymore...but I did on occasion and it made me look fat (once upon a time when I was a bit heavier).

Here's a confession: I crimped my hair in the 90s! Believe it or not!!

One day I opened up a magazine and realized, what century am I in? I went for a more relaxed look after that...but not much more. ;)

The Donny Trump comment made me laugh, too. It sounds hilarious!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Ha! I've met you and if you've grown horizontally then I'm wondering how you ever held up your spinal cord before.

VioletSky,
~~The fact that you haven't doggedly stuck with something stupid show how clever you are. Painter's pants? I call those "Overalls."

Xup,
~~Are you up for votes again?

Scarlet,
~~It's sort of spooky to think you ever thought of yourself as "a bit heavier." And my hairstyles? Even the Kristy McNichol mullet??!

Mr. Jazz said...

Tucker, a man and his dream....I meant Coach, a man and his EGO!