Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Speaking of .....

I thought I had posted about this before but I did a search on my blog for "creditors" as well as "debt collectors" and got nothing. So here's the thing. When I left my second husband I did not want my girly name listed in the phone book, so instead of Geewits Lastname it was listed as G. Lastname and we kept my account all these years. Although I did change the last name after I remarried, it still just had my initial. So what happens is every person with my same first initial that has the same last name and owes anyone money is called at this number. And when they call here looking for Gina or Gary or Greg Lastname, they are rude and don't believe me. And because I generally don't answer unknown phone numbers I get lots of messages, which would be okay except when any of them call before 11:00 a.m. and wake me up - then I just get mad. I hadn't had any in a while until recently. I kept getting messages saying "This is an important call from your jeweler, please call...." and it was a recording which is even more annoying. I finally called and said "I want these sales calls stopped!" I thought they were trying to sell me jewelry. I didn't even realize this one was a debt collector. But they were, and I realized I had finally had it, so I called the phone company and had our listing changed to "My Sweetie and Geewits Lastname." I hope that's the end of that.
~
Speaking of unwanted callers, I was thinking about making a small sign to put on the door which would state:
I do not want my trees trimmed, AT&T internet or TV service, to hear about your religion, or have the dents hammered out of my truck, so unless you are wearing a UPS, FedEx, USPS or GSA patch on your shirt, I suggest you try the next house.
My Sweetie thought it was funny but said it would be too rude.
~
Speaking of rude, tonight on "American Idol" Simon Cowell told someone "That was indulgent nonsense." I cracked up and said, "That describes my whole life!" That probably should have been the name of my blog. Although I am trying to fill the unforgiving minute, I pretty much fill up most of my minutes with indulgent nonsense.
~
Speaking of that, today I made a lobster out of modeling clay:

10 comments:

Jammie J. said...

I like your potential door sign. Besides, I don't think it's rude. Rude would be for them to ring your doorbell AFTER reading your sign.

What are you going to do with that lobster?

geewits said...

When I make clay things, I look at them for a few days then throw them back into the baggie. Then I'll use that next time I need red clay. There's no purpose to it. It's just fun.

I'll tell My Sweetie that you said the sign was not rude. Then I'll have to get him to count your vote. :)

Jazz said...

Re the sign. It's hilarious, and I beg to differ with your Sweetie, it should be on you door. And if I were home all day, I'd have the same on mine.

Indulgent nonsense would be a great blog name! And no offense but your lobster looks like it has giant boogers coming out of its nose. Otherwise it's really quite cute!

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Surely you've heard of the lesser known Connecticutt Booger Lobster?

Mr. Jazz said...

Oh: the Connecticut Booger Lobster. Isn't it some kind of legendary monster, a bit like Nessie? At any rate, your verison of it is absolutely lovely. And cast my vote for "the sign". I'm totally with you. My unwanted-doorbell-ringer deterrent would probably be a tad more rude by Sweetie's standards.

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

My dad worked nights, and we had a "no soliciting" sign on our house. Woe be to the salesguy that rang the doorbell anyway; my dad was 6'4", 300+ lbs, and didn't mince words when awakened by fuller brush salesmen.

I love that lobster, it matches my kitchen, with that gold background. From the photo, it looks like it's made of silk.

ticknart said...

The phone thing sucks, I know.

Ever since I moved here, and got my phone number, I've been getting calls for some guy named Dimitri. So many of the callers insisted that Dimitri did use my number that I've pretty much stopped answering the phone until I know who's on the other end when they leave a message for me.

I hope it gets better soon.

Anonymous said...

Your apparantly limitless fount of talents never ceases to amaze me. And you should totally make that sign. I saw one very much like it once on someone’s door and thought it was great. It’s only rude to the people who would be rude enough to knock unwanted on your door. Your friends and other nice people would laugh. And finally, all our blogs are indulgent nonsense. I think that’s the very definition of a blog!

Jammie J. said...

HA HA! Connecticut Booger Lobster!! HA HA HA!

geewits said...

Mr. Jazz,
~~If only we could convince him!

Gnightgirl,
~~Silk lobster? That would be a good name for a rock band.

Dimitri I mean Ticknart,
~~Yeah phone stuff like that gets really tiresome.

Xup,
~~Yes, so true and "indulgent nonsense" is now my new favorite expression. I'm sure I'll wear it thin.

Jammie,
~~That's just right up your alley isn't it?