Monday, February 23, 2009

My Oscar Musings and

It's always ironic that sometimes there is nothing on TV and then.... Well Duke's game was scheduled for 6:45 tonight and with the exception of hospital visits or birthdays, Duke games always take precedence, so we sort of watched the Academy Awards backwards. And although none of you care two figs, I must mention that Duke played GREAT and we had an important win three ways: 1) Another ACC win, 2) Retribution for when they beat us in January and, 3) Defeated a higher nationally ranked team. Woot woot Go Duke!
~
Every year My Sweetie and I fill out Oscar ballots and every year he kicks my ass. Except this year, and still I did not win. We tied. It almost felt like a win though. I really liked the ceremony tonight and loved all the change 'em ups they did. And I only heard the orchestra play someone off one time. That part was really nice. There was only one dress I didn't like and I think it was Reese Witherspoon. Yes, I just googled it. There was a lot of humor and Ben Stiller's take on Joaquin Phoenix was so hilarious - and I'm not even a giant Ben Stiller fan. One of the weirder moments was when Jennifer Aniston was presenting. Just as I formed the thought to say, "At least they are showing some class and not cutting to a shot of Brad and Angelina" They did! Ooof.
~
I give the whole show a thumbs up though. Hugh Jackman is wonderful and they had John Legend sing, which always relaxes the hell out of me. His voice is like butter. I bet this show wins the Emmy this September for best variety special or whatever that category is.
~
Saturday night my daughter came over for dinner. This is becoming more of a regular thing which I think is very nice. And she always helps in the kitchen.
~
My Sweetie leaves in 12 hours to go to Arizona until Wednesday night. I'm so jealous because he gets to fly on the corporate jet. The closest I've been to a jet was when a Vegas cabbie pointed some out to me through a giant chain-link fence and said, "That's Janet Jackson's jet." At least I'll finally get to have cabbage. He doesn't like cabbage and I always fix the foods that I love that he doesn't like while he's away. And then I'll probably end up talking for hours and hours on the phone because I always seem to end up doing that when he's out of town. I'm glad I changed my phone plan to unlimited long distance. Speaking of that, if you live in the U.S. and want to talk to a crazy person drop me an e-mail and I'll give you a call. And you won't even have to worry about my cabbage breathe.

(Computer Technical Advice: Your computer will not recognize a flash drive if it is just sitting on top of your computer desk.)

6 comments:

Jazz said...

I haven't watch the Oscars in years. And cutting to Brangelina - Anniston and him have been separated for years, the media really should get the hell over it already!

Anonymous said...

john legend! that's who that was. i have been racking my brain trying to figure out who that was and now i know. thank you !

yes, and the brad and angelina stuff is silly. stop it!

http://momofboxer.blogspot.com/2009/02/prejudice.html

Scarlet said...

I love watching the Oscars, and I was happy to see Penelope Cruz win for her role in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. It was a strange film, but I liked it and she played a fantastic wacky artist.

My husband rarely leaves town, but when he does, I invite loud friends over to watch chick flicks and drink wine. Our kids play together while we do this so it works out perfectly.

Have fun chit-chatting! Text me if you get bored. ;)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

My Oscar review-recap is up and I really loved the show this year, too, with a few exceptions....Mostly to do with The Music....I missed the camera going to Brad and Angelina...I taped it so I'll have go back and take a gsnder...WHEN did John Legand sing?? LOL!

On your comment about Classic films: I disagree with you on "GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT"...I have actually written about about that film, a couple of times on my blog, because in seeing it again..(They have it on FMC---no commercials---quite a lot) it is as relevent today as it was daring back then. It may not be in the same "High Classic" position as those films of 1939 but, it certainly is, for ne, a classic, as is "Gigi".

geewits said...

Jazz,
~~Yeah, it pretty distateful.

Raino,
~~John Legend is awesome!

Scarlet,
~~You always know how to have fun. We're both in the Cat-In The Hat club that way.

Naomi,
~~John Legend sang in the medley for best song with the two Slumdog Millionaire songs. He sang Peter Gabriel's song from Wall-E.

What I meant by relevant is in new generations. I know you know all those movies, but people in their 20's and 30's will probably never discover them although they have already discovered most of the movies from 1939.

kimber said...

Rich creamery butter....

I couldn't resist. I always hear Hugh Jackman's voice in my head when I end up in the butter part of the dairy aisle. :D