Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Organized Credenza: Slow or Steady?

I woke up Thursday morning feeling all organizey, but it wasn't organic. Earlier that morning, while I was sound asleep one of those charities called and asked if I could have a bag or box for them on Valentine's day. Out of habit, I said "Yes!" Because that's how I control my clutter.
~
They usually ask, "Will that be a bag or a box and I always say, "Yes!" Because it will be one or the other. But back to Thursday. I didn't do anything organizey on Thursday. I'm sorta like a crockpot when it comes to doing things. Actually, "Slow and steady wins the race" is my own personal motto. Okay, I didn't not do anything. (Huh?) I actually decided on Thursday to tackle my T-shirt problem.
~
I have about a million T-shirts. My closet has a built-in cubby-hole shelfy thing (which you will see later) and that's where I've always kept my T-shirts even though they never fit in there quite right. And for a while now they have been really spilling out. As in, piles of stacked T-shirts on my closet floor. So Friday afternoon I pulled out all of my T's and stacked them on the bed:
(Don't laugh at my quilt - my Grandmother made it!)
After giving it a lot of slow and steady thought, I realized that I should move the contents of the green thing to the cubby hole shelves and put the T-shirts in the green thing. This is the green thing:
I had been storing all my house pants and favorite sweatshirts in the green thing and realized they would fit much better in the cubbies. And they did:
I left the top cubby-hole open because most of my heavier (okay, yes they are sweatpants!) house pants were "in the wash." But as you can see, there was lots of room:
And all the T-shirts I kept fit very nicely into the green thing:

And if you are wondering why I call it the green thing, it's because I didn't know what it was. After giving it a lot of thought, I guess it may be a credenza. But we can't call it "the credenza" because this is what we call "the credenza":
I can see the similarities. Both have a top surface and doors with shelves inside, but it pretty much ends there. Besides, if we called them both credenzas we'd have to differentiate, like "the green credenza in the bedroom" and "Mom's fancy Italian credenza that we couldn't sell last year." And that would be too much trouble.

10 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I understand your T-Shirt Mania...Mine is Sweatshirts....And it is really ridiculous! I need to do what you did---Go through everything, everywhere---yes, they are ALL over the place---lol----And weed out all those that I know I will not wear any more.
I think you did an amazing job with switchin the T's to the "Green Thing"...Congrats!

About the 'Dress' pictures: I got those off of the Internet. I don't have a problem with you Photoshopping those...My problem was you Photoshopping pictures I have taken, myself....

Anonymous said...

Lovely credenza - the Italian one, especially. And isn't credenza and Italian name anyway? Just think how many more clothes, shoes, coats, hats, etc., you'd have to cope with if your weather fluctuated between minus 30 and plus 90 every year? It's a freakin' nightmare, let me tell you.

Big Brother said...

Boy that's a lot of T-shirts... but I guess it's normal since who live in a place where it's pretty well eternal summer. ;o) Here we only collect them for the 3-4 months of warm weather we have.

Jazz said...

The green thing sounds quite sane to me. I mean, it's green and it's a thing. Perfect name for it really.

You and Mr. Jazz have t-shirts in common, at one point, I was straightening them out and if I remember correctly there was something like 70 of the things.

Anonymous said...

i love both of those credenza's, especially the italian one. my brothers old house had those colours of green kitchen cabinets in it. that much green is a little overwhelming!

http://momofboxer.blogspot.com/2009/02/mothers-little-helper.html

Carole said...

"Slow and steady wins the race"! haha! I say that all the time, even if I'm hyper active 95% of the time.

Great job with the re-organizing. My closets are awful! After seeing how nice your organized your built-in cubby-hole shelfy thing, I'm thinking of doing mine now one of these days too...which means I'll probably get around to it months from now. Slow and steady... ;)

Jammie J. said...

Yes, I've slow and steadily been organizing my closet for 3 1/2 years now. I know it's been that long, because that's when I got married and had to make room for his stuff. Why does he need clothes anyway?

Good job on brainstorming and rearranging. I would have been tired after all that. :)

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~I actually kept more t-shirts than I planned to although I did fill a box for the charity. If you're like me your sweatshirts all have some sort of meaning.

Xup,
~~I imagine that would be a problem. I have very few winter clothes.

Big Brother,
~~I wear t-shirts every single day. Even if I go out and wear a "top" I switch back into a tee when I get home.

Jazz,
~~I didn't think to count them but I surely have a lot.

Raino,
~~That would be a bit much for kitchen cabinets. That thing was for storage and to break up all the matching furniture in the room. It's a dull room when all the furniture matches.

Carole,
~~Pffft! You have the neatest house in the world. If you think your house is disorganized, you must think my house looks like Fred Sanford's!

Jammie,
~~How much space do his shorts take up? Maybe he has a lot of shirts?

VioletSky said...

I was wondering if you actually got rid of any of the t-shirts, but I see you answered that. I like the idea of the green thing for clothes much better than drawers. Bulky sweaters hog all the space in drawers.

geewits said...

Violetsky,
~~And on a shelf, you can see everything. In drawers, there is always stuff underneath stuff.