Monday, January 21, 2008

Off My Bum

I was inspired by Josie going hiking over the weekend and got off my bum and went for a 45 minute walk on Saturday. It was chilly but sunny out and so we walked at a brisk pace. First we checked out the new section of the neighborhood. I think of it as the "Termite Neighborhood" because when the bulldozers went over there and razed the woods, our whole neighborhood became infested with termites. Thanks a lot, builder people. The new section is a whole bunch of faux castle McMansions mashed up against each other with tiny little yards. I told My Sweetie, "I bet it takes longer to get the lawn mower out of the garage than it takes to mow." He said, "I would just use scissors." After we checked out that section we headed east and discovered that that part of the neighborhood was 15 or 20 years older than our section. They had really large yards and chain link fences. It sort of reminded me of North Carolina. I always think of Texas as being pretty flat, but our neighborhood has some hills which are far more noticeable when you are walking. Our cul-de-sac is at the top of a hill, and I thought the walk back would be the only uphill climb, but I was wrong. My butt is pretty sore, but that is good. I'd like to make walking a regular thing. I e-mailed my neighbor - the one that let me use her washer last summer when my washer broke in mid cycle - and asked if she'd like to go on some walks. She's thin and doesn't need to lose weight like I do, but she said she was interested. Unfortunately it's cold and drizzly out these days. Hopefully we will get some decent weather soon and I can get back out there. And there's always the treadmill.

11 comments:

Jammie J. said...

Yeah, but the treadmill, you don't get to see what your neighbors are doing! :)

geewits said...

Jammie,
~~hee hee hee.

Scarlet said...

I'd walk around my neighborhood, too, but all I'd see is a lady in her underwear! :)

Jazz said...

OMG, I do that too, going for walks and looking into people's houses. Discretely of course.

Jo said...

Oh, gosh, do they have McMansions there too? I thought it was just in Vancouver. And they're always pink, right?

Leslie has convinced me to walk home after work, as well. It's about half an hour, and I can snoop in windows along the way. Heh.

geewits said...

Scarlet,
~~Heck, you don't even have to walk around to see HER!

Jazz,
~~One of them was empty - probably a sub-prime foreclosure - and I crashed through the bushes to look in the window.

Josie,
~~If it's not a bad walk, go for it. Then you can skip the treadmill!

Dave said...

Fortunately, we don't have termites up in this neck of the woods.

Going for a hike/walk ... Now there's something I haven't done since the fall. Sounds like a great idea! :-)

Take care!

Ian Lidster said...

Spying on other people's homes does add enchantment to an urban or suburban stroll. I enjoyed this, and also enjoyed the fact that you, as an American, used the term 'bum'. It is such a cute word.

geewits said...

Dave,
~~You are VERY lucky not to have termites. We have to have expensive continual service. And you should have seen the wall by the bathtub when I stripped the wallpaper last year. It wasn't good.

Ian,
~~My husband is a bit of an anglophile and loves to read books written by Englishmen (He LOVES Paul Johnson). Maybe I picked it up from him. Or Saturday Night Live?

OldLady Of The Hills said...

"McMansions".....LOL LOL LOL! Great Name....!
It reminds me of the homes in Malibu..On The Pacific Ocean....but, less than 20 feet away from the neighbors....NO LAND...NO GARDENS...But, they have the Ocean....! At what cost.

Enjoy your walks, my dear..Sounds Great to me!

Big Brother said...

Everywhere the same. I call them wall to wall houses, cuz they barely fit on the plot of land. If there are widows facing one another they can't wind them open at the same time they're so close.