Tuesday, January 08, 2008

And Now We're Back

My flight was pretty uneventful. I sat next to a guy from San Diego and bored the hell out of him. Several times I had to tell myself to "SHUT UP." My Sweetie was already there when I got to the hotel. He had called and told me the room number - 2924, so I knew we were going to have a great view, but it was very foggy. This was looking down at the marina from our balcony.
We went down to the little Irish Pub and soon Jeanette called, which was good, because I left her phone number right here next to my computer! We met up and yakked away. I was pretty buzzed and now I imagine Jeanette will never want to meet another blogger. Hopefully I wasn't too annoying. They are very tall, but since we were all sitting down, I didn't have to strain my neck or anything.

The next morning, Sunday, the fog was gone but it was still overcast and we got caught in a few light drizzles as we walked over to the Gaslamp District. That's the Coronado Bridge over there and that little greenbelt area also has a pier which you will see later. Coronado Island was right across the water and we could see the big Navy ships and even Hotel Del.

We chose this bar called Whiskey Girl because some bartender told us it would be a good place to watch the game. Since I seem to suffer from chronic (hee hee if you know your root words) bad timing, we were worried that we might not get to see the game, because A) We were in San Diego and B) the San Diego Chargers were playing in the AFC playoffs. And it was a REALLY BIG deal for them as they had not won a playoff game in 13 seasons and of course the games were on at the same time. The manager was very nice and turned one TV to the Duke game for us. Do I know how to stand out in a crowd or what? Duke won AND San Diego won, so everyone left happy.

This is the fog-free view looking down from our balcony. I had binoculars, so I got to really look at all the fine yachts. We went to Dave and Buster's after the Duke game and had a good time. We won lots of tickets and got a T-shirt and a shot glass and I only fell down once. I have a big ole bruise on my butt. I was riding a motorcycle game thing and laughing my head off and when I got off the motorcycle I fell right down. It was funny even though I was wearing white jeans. Fortunately they were unscathed, unlike my butt, which was scathed.

On Sunday after we checked out, we took a walk around the marina over to that little green area that was in the earlier picture. I took this picture of our hotel. There are two towers and this was the north tower. On the right there, is part of the south tower.

This bird was on the pier and it was huge. I tried to get closer so My Sweetie could put me in the picture for scale, but the bird was having none of it and flew away, scaring the bejeebus out of me. It was VERY large!


That's me on the pier with the Coronado Bridge in the background. We then walked over to the Joe's Crab Shack for beer and snacks and headed back to the Gaslamp District for a while before we had to return to the hotel to get our suitcases and head to the airport. The weather could have been better, but I really loved all the boats, the views, meeting Jeanette and all the good seafood. Now I have to wait another year to go back!

20 comments:

Michael said...

Great pics, and I'm glad you got to meet the TooTall Twosome.

ticknart said...

Big birds that fly away when you approach are always better than the little ones who attack if you're not carrying food for them.

geewits said...

Michael,
~~Yes, they were very nice!

Ticknart,
~~I can't imagine that giant pelican thought I might have a 10-lb. fish with me!

Ian Lidster said...

Screw the weather; you had a good time. That's what counts. And I love pelicans.

'A wond'rous bird is the pelican,
his beak can hold more than his bellycan'

Jazz said...

Oh! I love the pelican!!!

And as for meeting other bloggers after you, having met you, I just want to meet more of them. You rock girl...

geewits said...

Ian,
~~My thoughts exactly!

Jazz,
~~Thanks! But I feel like I had the opposite effect this time. I imagine Jeanette will NO LONGER want to meet other bloggers!

Big Brother said...

That's one hell of a big bird. I wouldn't want him flying over me when when he gets one of those urgent birdy urges. ;o) Glad you had fun, that's what counts.

Jammie J. said...

Meeting you and your husband was the perfect ending to a fun day for us. I'm so glad it worked out for all of us AND I'm glad we were a good thing in your San Diego trip and not a spoiler of it. :) Plus it was great fun seeing a spoonerism in action.

Looks like the rest of your weekend was just as fun. :)

geewits said...

Big Brother,
~~And they eat whole fish! Do you suppose a whole fish skeleton plops to the ground?

J,
~~What was my spoonerism? I do them so often I don't remember them unless I write them down? I loved meeting you guys!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sounds like a really fun great weekend! And Meeing Jammie J and her Tony...YES! I have been lucky enough to meet them, too! They are sweet and fun, too!
Love your pictures! That is a HUGE Hotel....And new to me....(Of course it has been a while since I was in San Diego! Glad you jad such a great time in S.D.!

Tai said...

What fun meeting bloggers! I'm so glad you had a marvelous time and I can't wait to hear a "Geewit's spoonerism" in person!

Kawana Aminata Oliver said...

Really Nice Pics ;-)

geewits said...

Naomi,
~~It didn't seem so huge inside for some reason. I was glad. I don't like giant open spaces. Tony and Jeanette are very nice people. I was probably a little too wild for them!

Tai,
~~Well you can see for your self in May. We ARE meeting in May, right?

geewits said...

Kawana,
~~Thanks!

Jo said...

Hey, Geewits, your trip looks fabulous. AND you got to see a marina. And guess what, it looks just like the marinas in Vancouver! Every time I see a pelican, I think of the old limerick:

"A wonderful bird is the pelican,
His bill can hold more than his bellycan
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for the week,
But I'm damned if I know how the helican."

geewits said...

Josie,
~~Yes! The marina. I could look at boats for hours. That's funny about the pelican limerick. That's what Ian said! I hope the weather will be sunnier in Vancouver. Only five months away now!

Jocelyn said...

What a great travelogue. I love the photo that identifies your hotel room.

Glad you didn't jump.

Dave said...

Those boats don't get ouyt much do they! :-)

Sounds like you really had a good time!

I love that shot of the pelican ... I suppose they are like most birds... jittery.

Take care!

geewits said...

Jocelyn,
~~Jump? I have such a fear of falling I don't even get close enough to the edge. Notice how you can see the rail in the pictures? I don't stand too close.

Dave,
~~The weather wasn't great for boating, but I noticed on Monday that several of the slips were empty. Maybe they were weekend visitors?

Tai said...

Oh yes, Geewits, meet we shall!
There's no way you're going to come all the way up hear and I miss that!
Me, you, Josie, Leslie and whoever else is in the neighbourhood at the time...what a riot!